Trouble with English Football...

spursmaddave

I think that's a slightly unfair comparison. In as much as, Shaw and Lallana both qualify as home grown for european squad purposes, which adds a premium when moving to an English club competing in Europe. Also they are moving between direct league competitors, which also adds a premium, and on top of that Shaw has at least 10, but up to 15, years left in the tank - so there's a premium there too.

One could easily argue that the £31.5 million for Shaw is a bargain compared to £50 million for David Luiz, a defender who can't defend...

• Like 2

Sadly for English clubs Man U started this years ago as they wanted to be able to compete in Europe, they were paying silly money for players a long time ago, Ferdinand for one, 30 million in 2002!!!!

The rest of the UK top clubs then had to play catch up and spend big.

Its all become a bit of a farce if you ask me, isnt Rooney being paid something like 250k a week??

I think that's a slightly unfair comparison. In as much as, Shaw and Lallana both qualify as home grown for european squad purposes, which adds a premium when moving to an English club competing in Europe. Also they are moving between direct league competitors, which also adds a premium, and on top of that Shaw has at least 10, but up to 15, years left in the tank - so there's a premium there too.

One could easily argue that the £31.5 million for Shaw is a bargain compared to £50 million for David Luiz, a defender who can't defend...

David Luiz could end up holding the World Cup, Shaw played 1 game that meant nothing...

£60M for 2 players that nobody had heard of this time last year is rediculous in my book

Sent from the golf club...

David Luiz could end up holding the World Cup, Shaw played 1 game that meant nothing...

£60M for 2 players that nobody had heard of this time last year is rediculous in my book

Have to agree with Dave. Look at Andy Carol... He had a decent half season in the Premier League and suddenly he's worth £35M?

We simply don't have the talent in this country or we'd have rafts of English players abroad in other leagues. I actually can't think of any top English players who play outside of England... and we don't have the best league in the world.

If you 're English and can half kick a ball in the direction you meant too all of a sudden your a world beater and 10 mil is banged on top of what youre actually worth.

From my own team (all shite, overrated, average or a combination of the 3)

Franny Jeffers 8 mil (when that was a lot of money)

Jack Rodwell 15 mil - kack when fit and never fit

Lescott - 24 mil!!!! Couldn't head to save his life

Barkley - valued at 25 mil. Done nowt. Spent most of his development injured. Likes to run with the ball which apparently makes him a 'world class player'

Andy Johnson - 10 mil ......10mil! He could fall over getting up from falling over

Can someone explain to me what I'm missing with Jack Wilshire? I think Rooney is hugely overrated, but at least he has a pretty impressive strike rate. I just don't see what all the pundits do? He's either injured, getting injured or fallen over after losing the ball?

Jo could end up holding the World Cup, doesn't make him worth £50 million. :shrug:

I totally agree the Lallana fee is totaly over the top, given his age. I think Shaw will turn out to be money well spent. People went nuts at the money we spent on Bale as a youth, but looks like a good bit of business now.

People went nuts at the money we spent on Bale as a youth, but looks like a good bit of business now.

Was good business for Southampton... not sure Spurs did quite so well out of it. Yes, they got £80m, but what have Spurs got to show for it?

Sorry, heading off topic! :)

People went nuts at the money we spent on Bale as a youth, but looks like a good bit of business now.

Was good business for Southampton... not sure Spurs did quite so well out of it. Yes, they got £80m, but what have Spurs got to show for it?

£70m profit is good business. What they spent it on has no bearing on how good a piece of business that was. Otherwise every transfer ever would be one big transfer. :lol:

• Like 1

Aren't the high fees to help cover their expensive acting lessons so they can dive and roll around as if they'd been picked off by a sniper on the roof.

Most would be stacking shelves if they couldn't kick a ball around

• Like 1

I actually can't think of any top English players who play outside of England... and we don't have the best league in the world.

There's only Gareth Bale and he's Welsh :lol: . Whether or not we have the best league in the world is debatable but we certainly have the richest and unless you're good enough to play for one of the Spanish giants I see little financial incentive in playing abroad.

Pete

£70m profit is good business. What they spent it on has no bearing on how good a piece of business that was. Otherwise every transfer ever would be one big transfer. :lol:

A lot of the spending reported was way over exaggerated, for example Robert Soldado, who. I personally will do well if we keep him, he cost Spurs £13M, the reported £25-£30M would only be paid if he won the league, champions league and discovered a cure for cancer!

Likewise the rest of our spending, all bumped up by the media to the max to make headlines like Spurs spend £100M !!!! Nowhere near that amount, remember we are run to make money, which we invariably do, anyway this year could be the year, say that every year but there you go :lol:

I actually can't think of any top English players who play outside of England... and we don't have the best league in the world.

There's only Gareth Bale and he's Welsh :lol: . Whether or not we have the best league in the world is debatable but we certainly have the richest and unless you're good enough to play for one of the Spanish giants I see little financial incentive in playing abroad.

Pete

How true, if we had genuinely World Class players in England then they would be at the top Italian/Spanish sides and improving their game with truly World Class players..... oh the irony!!!

Hmmm, I saw some stats somewhere that Spurs are something like the 5th highest spenders in the premier league since its inception - they were higher than that before Chelsea and Citeh went ballistic. Apart from the Bale transfer, most signings I can remember are sold at a loss. Maybe the exception is Carrick, but I am sure Dave will be along to prove me wrong. I do remember West Ham buying Rebrov for £1m about 18 months after Spurs bought him for £12m.

Funny thing with Spurs is that they could probably afford Van Persie, or Rooney or any of the top transferred players, but they never quite have that kudos that Chelsea or Manyoo have that gets the really top players to move there.

As for the above, yes English players are very over priced, but because of rules around homegrown and the like. As for English players abroad, I think plenty could succeed, but unfortunately the English are not very good travellers - and lots of 'foreign' nationalities know it. In recent memory I think David Platt did well, as he learned the language etc, not many English footballers have the IQ capability to do that. Also they know that English footballers are terrible when it comes to things like diet. Ronaldo is teetotal, how many of his English team mates at Manyoo could honestly say that? Zero I suspect. Having lived and worked abroad, it is the image other countries have of us, and on the whole, its very true.

Edited by coldel

There's only Gareth Bale and he's Welsh :lol:. Whether or not we have the best league in the world is debatable but we certainly have the richest and unless you're good enough to play for one of the Spanish giants I see little financial incentive in playing abroad.

Pete

How true, if we had genuinely World Class players in England then they would be at the top Italian/Spanish sides and improving their game with truly World Class players..... oh the irony!!!

Was going to post just this myself.

The only clubs willing to pay the absurdly high fees for british players are british clubs. There is pots of money in the Spanish and Italian leagues but you don't see them snapping up all the british 'talent'.

Over inflated transfer fees and therfore egos...

Zlatan Ibrahimovich & Thiago Silva were sold by AC Milan for a combined £50M

Luke Shaw & Adam Lallana are being sold by southampton for a combined £60M

:wacko:

Thiago and Zlatan - combined age 61 years.

Luke and Adam - combined age 44 years.

I also think British players dont tend to settle so easily outside of the UK, hence why they dont get bought by European clubs so much. Bear in mind too that resale value is going to come into it, a young player could well be worth more in a couple of years so whatever you paid was worthwhile.

Rio for £30m sounded a lot at the time but hes done 12 years at the top of the game, thats a bit of a bargain with hindsight. Andy Carroll on the other hand ......... :lol:

Andy Carroll was never worth £35m but if Torres hadn't gone for £50m then it would never have been such a stupid fee. I actually rate Carroll for what he does, £10m is about spot on for a guy who is 25, one of the best headers in the game and capable of playing up top in a one up front formation. If thats they way your team wants to play, he is spot on.

Hmmm, I saw some stats somewhere that Spurs are something like the 5th highest spenders in the premier league since its inception - they were higher than that before Chelsea and Citeh went ballistic. Apart from the Bale transfer, most signings I can remember are sold at a loss. Maybe the exception is Carrick, but I am sure Dave will be along to prove me wrong. I do remember West Ham buying Rebrov for £1m about 18 months after Spurs bought him for £12m.

Funny thing with Spurs is that they could probably afford Van Persie, or Rooney or any of the top transferred players, but they never quite have that kudos that Chelsea or Manyoo have that gets the really top players to move there.

As for the above, yes English players are very over priced, but because of rules around homegrown and the like. As for English players abroad, I think plenty could succeed, but unfortunately the English are not very good travellers - and lots of 'foreign' nationalities know it. In recent memory I think David Platt did well, as he learned the language etc, not many English footballers have the IQ capability to do that. Also they know that English footballers are terrible when it comes to things like diet. Ronaldo is teetotal, how many of his English team mates at Manyoo could honestly say that? Zero I suspect. Having lived and worked abroad, it is the image other countries have of us, and on the whole, its very true.

Spenders yes, but when you look at transfers in/out we are in the black mostly ;)

Every team have had a 'Rebrov' moment :lol:

Suprised you didn't mention Bentley or Bent :lol:

Edited by spursmaddave

Over inflated transfer fees and therfore egos...

Zlatan Ibrahimovich & Thiago Silva were sold by AC Milan for a combined £50M

Luke Shaw & Adam Lallana are being sold by southampton for a combined £60M

:wacko:

Thiago and Zlatan - combined age 61 years.

Luke and Adam - combined age 44 years.

I also think British players dont tend to settle so easily outside of the UK, hence why they dont get bought by European clubs so much. Bear in mind too that resale value is going to come into it, a young player could well be worth more in a couple of years so whatever you paid was worthwhile.

Rio for £30m sounded a lot at the time but hes done 12 years at the top of the game, thats a bit of a bargain with hindsight. Andy Carroll on the other hand ......... :lol:

Yes but you are buying proven quality winners, true you need a blend of young and old and yes Rio was a good shout, hardly a bargain at £30M and most likely 100k+ a week and no value now but thats the way it is...

I hope Shaw turns out to be the English Maldini but how many players have shown that at 18? Only a handful have gone on to stay at that level consistently.

Man Utd are panic buying by their standards because they are left with an ageing team, will be an interesting season again I think