Trouble with English Football...

spursmaddave

English football is very good. It's the England national team that's gash.

Indeed, English football teams, owned by foreigners, managed by foreigners and staffed by foreigners are very good :lol:

Funny thing is that everyone seems to think that we have some sort of bright future ahead of us. Barkley has yet to show anything more than flashes of brilliance. Sterling is more consistent but years from being anything world class, if he reaches it. Shaw in my book looked the best of the young bunch.

Problem is that we throw all our expectation at two or three unproven youngsters, we should have a conveyor belt of quality youth players rolling out of clubs but we don't. Been the same for decades, not seeing the FA doing anything to change this. You get the occasional 'grassroots' headline from them but its peanuts spent in the grand scheme of things.

That’s spot on, we all know we`re not very good but we all still get so excited when the world cup comes around, I was in Miami for the two friendlies, yep we were rubbish, but what upset me and those traveling most was the ignorance of the team, not once did they acknowledge the fans in either game (and yes I was singing in the rain during the storm) not even Woy could be bothered to wave..

I’ve still booked up for the Estonia game 12th Oct, sod the players I’m supporting the sport/country not them.. I`d sooner see Championship players playing for England at least they may show a little more pride and effort..

As much as the premier league will deny it is them causing issues, there has to be an impact. Their interests are around pleasing sponsors (so getting the best global talent into the league) and gaining income via clubs competing in Europe and the like. The premier league get naff all for players disappearing off and potentially getting injured playing for England, its just not on their agenda. For me that organisation is a huge blocker to developing English talent, clubs have to spend the money on immediate success to stay in the division. Some clubs of late have gotten lucky with youth development policies and everyone will point to Southampton who have cashed in and maybe Palace, but they are the exception rather than the rule.

Edited by coldel

Personally, I actually don't care if the England team is any good or not. I much prefer club level competitions to international ones, so as long as the league and European games don't ever suffer then I'm really not fussed if England drop outside the top 30 teams in the world.

I am the opposite, clubs are businesses who couldn't give a flying thing about the supporters. When I watch England I certainly get more 'up for it' than club games which are just entertainment as far as I am concerned. England should unite the country and you only have to look at the countrywide feelgood factor of the Olympics when we succeed.

But the focus will always be where the money is, which is in the Premier League. When Redknapp said players at Spurs were dodging international friendlies, I can imagine he is probably telling the truth.

Never understood club before country..

Club pays your mortgage, club dictates your value as a player, club is where you go to train 5 times a week.

Country only gives you a game if club are playing you in the first place ........... it ant right but you can understand it :)

Club is a local team who I can watch 40 times a year, made up of players who have to forge friendships as well as just play together. Watching Braintree Town slog it out is more pleasurable to me than watching England superstars who look like complete strangers dance around the pitch trying to avoid doing any hard work.

Yes, the Prem is ultimately just entertainment to me as my team doesn't play in it, but I still prefer to watch something like Chelsea vs Stoke (really admire Mourinho, they're kinda like my second team) than England vs Costa Rica. I watched the Eng v Bra friendlies over the last couple of years, but only because I wanted to watch Brazil! Same with the Spain friendly.

The Classicos are my favourite games to watch, amazing talent but also lots of passion.

Silva cost PSG €42m. Milan wanted rid of "Zlatan" (so over rated) so let him go for around €20m.

I would imagine a few brown envelopes were exchanged as well.

I'm definitely club before country.

There is a difference between Club vs Country for the players and Club vs Country in terms of what you prefer watching. I like watching premier league matches and find the skill etc amazing, but I am not passionate about it. England is a part of me though, therefore...

...and agree on the point about local teams vs premier league mega clubs.

Its odd but the English mentality to playing for England and even the British just seem at odds to what many other nationalities see it. Ryan Giggs was the epitome of it only getting 60 caps over nearly 25 years and dodging Welsh matches like the plague with fake injuries and the like. You look at those 10 Costa Rican lads last night, or even the Brazilians, utterly passionate and desperate to succeed for their country, a real pride in their game. Its just missing for England, devoid.

I think Beckham was the last proper 'English' player, he would drag England kicking and screaming through games when he was in his prime - and he was a limited player with limited abilities, his application of those though were incredible. I also think of players like Stuart Pearce and Terry Butcher, I just wish we had committed players like that nowadays.

I dont have the stats, but I wonder how many players England have fielded over the last say 5 years vs other countries. It just seems like we toss in any one who has a handy couple of months for a game.

Ryan Giggs was the epitome of it only getting 60 caps over nearly 25 years and dodging Welsh matches like the plague with fake injuries and the like.

Wales have it even worse than England in that respect, we already see Gareth Bale missing matches and in the past the likes of Ian Rush, Mark Hughes, Dean Saunders and Craig Bellamy missed tons of Wales games, especially friendlies. Used to be a problem for Scotland too back in the 80's when they had some decent players :stir: . There's something else too, just look at the people that follow England and the banners they wave, ever see a Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea, Everton, Spurs banner? The big clubs supporters don't give a hoot about England and they're quite happy when their star players don't play in Internationals.

Pete

Edited by JetSet

I have a mate who is an ardent Manyoo fan (not a glory guy) and agree he hates it when their players go off on international duty. He only cares about his club.

Playing for your country used to be inspirational, now managers, the media and clubs are telling players its an inconvenience.