This is why I sold my Zed... Caution - V8 muscle content

TimFF

So let me introduce the reason I sold a perfectly good Zed. On the basis that a picture speaks a thousand words...

IMG_6311.jpg

It's a numbers matching 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 with a 390 cubic inch big block motor, hooked up to an autobox. It's a rare beast, only 1.5% (4600 ish) of that years production of 300,000 came with that engine and box combination. Originally a sort of iffy metallic wine red, it's now been painted in Chrysler Intense Blue. And I think it looks glorious in the sun...

IMG_6310.jpg

This was built in San Jose in February 1969 - that's a few months before man landed on the moon. It was sold to Portland Oregon, but we know nothing of its history until 2007 when it was bought from the Title holder by a guy in Mesa, Arizona as a 'fit for a restoration' project. The guy in Arizona bought nigh on $8000 worth of parts but also stalled and put it up for sale.

It was snatched up in early 2012 by a well known Mustang importer / restorer in Scotland who proceeded to ship it to the UK and complete its restoration from this sorry looking car

DSCF5939.jpg

Despite its looks it's actually an amazingly original car - there was / is no rot (Mustangs are well known for being rust buckets) so all the sheet metal is as it came out of the factory bar the passenger rear quarter which has been replaced. Fortunately it seems it happened early in it's life as it was properly repaired and was only found on close examination from the inside of the boot.

IMG_6312_np.jpg

IMG_6314_np.jpg

It has the optional tach dash which is great - except you then lose the big block critical oil pressure gauge, hence the AutoMeter addition under the dash. It's also got a Moto-Lita wheel I added which looks 10,000% better than the original 60's Ford spindly plastic thing.

IMG_6316.jpg

The rear seat folds down, and there's a hatch in the boot which means you can theoretically take long loads - but it's only a boot not a hatch back so its usefulness is rather limited...

IMG_6317.jpg

One 6.4 litre big block motor! Rated at 320bhp on the SAE scale (which is literally a bare engine, no ancillaries driven i.e. waterpump) it also contains 435 ft lbs of torque which, as Rolls used to say, is 'adequate'. Especially with 60's brakes and suspension technology... Even the power steering is simply the addition of a bl00dy great ram under the chassis, it runs a steering box so one sort of guides it along rather than steers it precisely. It does NOT possess 350Z dynamics, or even 240Z I reckon.

IMG_6318.jpg

The bit you can hear! True 2.5" dual exhaust with just a small box each side just in front of the axle. What comes out of there is the most beautiful noise you can hear...

One modern trick to pass the MOT is to use LED rear lights which allows the stock red lenses to be retained. Using yellow for the turn signals shines through the red and avoids the need for turning the reversing lights into indicators. The side markers also have the same trick, although I've yet to wire the rear ones in.

IMG_6321_np.jpg

IMG_6323.jpg

The clock is easy to read. For the passenger...

Console is a later addition, but the 8 track is a factory original and works apparently. I know the radio does, but I seem to have mislaid all my 8 track cartridges! The comprehensive hifi fit also includes the single speaker on the top of the dash...

IMG_6324.jpg

One of the model year 69's unique design features - the other is the twin 5.75" lights at the front.

IMG_6325.jpg

Originally even the Mach 1 (the nearly top model in the range, think Capri GT to GT XLR...) came with hub caps. These were an option of the time.

IMG_6327.jpg

Just to let passers by know...

IMG_6328.jpg

IMG_6329.jpg

These are great - nearly as addictive as watching the Silver Lady in a Roller!

IMG_6330.jpg

IMG_6331.jpg

And just to show we're a patriotic household, the red white and blue of our driveway yesterday.

IMG_6334_np.jpg

• Like 7

'69 Mach 1....you are officially off my Christmas Card list.

You best put some wheels in motion to join the club ;)

Wheels are in motion to get back into the V8 club ;)

Puts tongue back in mouth, removes drool from font of shirt...

...stunning

Was in Oslo last weekend, all I saw was endless electric cars and Teslas - then, I heard this coming, gave me time to whip out the iPhone and snap as it growled past B)

photo18_zpsb628d3f4.jpg

• Like 1

OMG this is the sexiest thing ever, I don't think I could be more jealous if you'd swapped your Zed for the entire Miami Dolphins cheer leader squad and a small lake full of lube.

I want to say the rear is amazing, but so is the front and the sides, it's ALL SO FIT!

You must be pleased as punch, congratulations.