350z or z4m coupe?

Bodyboarder81

The 350z is better than the Z4 3.0 BUT the Z4 M is better than the 350z and the 370z to my mind. Will also hold its value better I should think.

I beg to differ. The two cars are essentially the same. Having test driven both, the only glaring difference is the fixed roof and the marginal 0.2 increase. The straight 6 still delivers a top speed of 155, but with a 0.5 reduction in 0-60 time. The preference between the two extends only as far as which do you prefer - The added extras afforded by the M package, or not. Either way, both are in a different league to the 350z, and I feel no shame in saying I adored my 350z.

It's not just about the stats. The M car is better to drive in so many little extra ways over the 3.0, it makes it far more visceral, alive and less sterile. The 3.0si is nice, but pretty safe, boring even and thats what the Zed has over it.

• Like 1

Z4MC time and time again!! Surely there's a huge price difference here? I have a Z3MC and a 350Z, both have totally different qualities and would assume the Z4MC would be the same? Both are great cars in their own little way but worlds apart. The Z4 will always be a better investment but I can also see these 350Z's increasing in value in years to come that's if your planning on long term ownership? I'm sure you'd be happy with either decision or just have both ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The z4m was 30% more to buy, it should be better, way better! The fact it now sits in a very similar price bracket as a considerable cheaper car when new suggests it was not a popular choice or you can view it the other way and its a positive bargain.

Either way, i guess with performance figures being close, its going to come down, trim levels and which one you prefer the look of, so I would drive both as others have suggested!

Well, i looked at the Z4 and Z4m...and then i saw the 350z...the looks of the 350z won me over straight away. Then came value for money, the Z won me over again, then reliability and again the Z came tops...and choosing between a Jap car and a BMW, it left me in no doubt which to choose.

Ok the Zed doesnt perform as well as the Z4m but, as looks go i still think the Zed is a more beautiful looking machine. I never actually test drove the Z4m but i know someone that had one as well as a Zed and he prefered the Zed out of the two. Good luck in your choice. :drive1

I too had this dilemma when looking to purchase, albeit the Z4M was too far out of my price range.

I test drove the 350z, the Z4 and the 911 (917)

The 350 was my first break into the Jap world. I personally think its a fab looking car, its performance figures are good, nothing too scary on running costs and handles well on the road (apart from the wet !!!! ). Main thing here is you do get the feedback. Now owning one I am getting even more attached to it and its personality is growing. Glad I made this choice.

The Z4 - always been a BMW fan, loved the M3's for their core driving styles and looks, but loved the Z4 for its looks and being a little different.

Being more expensive at the time than the 350, I was hugely dissappointed, maybe this was down to not being the Z4M. The interior was boring as was the drive, it did not light me up, nor did it give me any feedback.

The 911 - well of course that won in every way - but I think at the time the running costs put me off - I will have one - one day though !!

Conclusion - I think you need to look at what you want out of a car.

Looks, Performance, feedback, personality, running costs. Take them both out for a Test Drive - preferably one directly after the other.

Make it simple - A Pro's and Con's List - if you are really stuck.

For me - I still like the Z4, you have made me think maybe I should try the M version to see how that differs.

My only problem is ............to buy one, the 350 would have to go and I have not yet experienced enough of the 350 scene and although I am saving right now for my next car, I really can't own 3 cars - Can I ?? !!!! :lol:

Then I still need a Porsche - albeit I think now it would have to be the Cayman !!!

Serioulsy what a wonderful delemma to have !! Enjoy your hunting.

Running costs are the same as a 350Z, regardless of year.

Repair costs, on the other hand...! :lol: If you get unlucky and you're in the 5-10%, it's a £7K bill minimum if IMS failure. £12K to cover it.

I too have considered this, and from everything I have read and experienced...

Pros and cons of 350, and Z4m , I think this is pretty balanced between Zed tinted glasses and Zed haters:

350z

+Coupe is far better looking, and rarer than the Z4m, I think some people will say this is objective but really.. the Zed just looks so different, especially in Sunset or Azure and gets WAY more looks/interest than any Z4 will, due to the number of bottom of the range gunmetal grey Z4s that go around. Average joes always comment on my Zed, Z4s (even the M) to most people are unremarkable because they are so common.

+Much more character, not out to please everybody

+Sounds a hell of a lot nicer

+More 'fun'/rewarding to drive if not outright quicker

+Cheaper to buy. If performance is your deciding factor you could probably buy a Zed and go FI for the same money as a nice Z4m.

+More reliable (vanos anyone?)

+Better forum and community! :)

-Slower in a straight line

-Slower round a track

-Japanese interior

-Depreciation

Z4m

+Roadster is nicer looking than the Zed version

+Far nice interior and quality

+Badge

+Will still feel more exclusive to YOU, if you can shut out all the basic gunmetal Z4s driving around

+Much faster in straight line and on a track

+More well rounded, and generally user friendly

+will hold its value more

-Nearly all reviews say, that although tremendously quick, the M is not as 'nice' to drive as others in its class, and particularly say that the E46 M3 is nicer to drive.

-Will not feel exclusive at ALL if you can't shut out the other Z4s you see around, or if you have lots of non-petrolhead friends who point out all the other Z4s as 'the same'.

-Expensive to buy

-Not as reliable and probably more expensive to fix

Hope I've been fair! :)

• Like 2

I too have considered this, and from everything I have read and experienced...

Pros and cons of 350, and Z4m , I think this is pretty balanced between Zed tinted glasses and Zed haters:

350z

+Coupe is far better looking, and rarer than the Z4m, I think some people will say this is objective but really.. the Zed just looks so different, especially in Sunset or Azure and gets WAY more looks/interest than any Z4 will, due to the number of bottom of the range gunmetal grey Z4s that go around. Average joes always comment on my Zed, Z4s (even the M) to most people are unremarkable because they are so common.

+Much more character, not out to please everybody

+Sounds a hell of a lot nicer

+More 'fun'/rewarding to drive if not outright quicker

+Cheaper to buy. If performance is your deciding factor you could probably buy a Zed and go FI for the same money as a nice Z4m.

+More reliable (vanos anyone?)

+Better forum and community! :)

-Slower in a straight line

-Slower round a track

-Japanese interior

-Depreciation

Z4m

+Roadster is nicer looking than the Zed version

+Far nice interior and quality

+Badge

+Will still feel more exclusive to YOU, if you can shut out all the basic gunmetal Z4s driving around

+Much faster in straight line and on a track

+More well rounded, and generally user friendly

+will hold its value more

-Nearly all reviews say, that although tremendously quick, the M is not as 'nice' to drive as others in its class, and particularly say that the E46 M3 is nicer to drive.

-Will not feel exclusive at ALL if you can't shut out the other Z4s you see around, or if you have lots of non-petrolhead friends who point out all the other Z4s as 'the same'.

-Expensive to buy

-Not as reliable and probably more expensive to fix

Hope I've been fair! :)

Very fair.

Pete

All good comments , thanks. I'm probably going to test drive a z4m next weekend so will go from there. ..... But to be honest if the z4m doesn't blow me away ill be holding out for the right 350 .... As for the money ( 4k less than a z4mc ) and running repairs they are hard to beat .... Plus as said my old 350 made me feel special everytime I got in her... I do miss the v6

z4 roadster better looing than the 350z, feck me you lot need to go to specsavers

My wife's comments (that's all that matters ;))

Guy down the road has a z4, I say to the missus, "what ya think of them sweet heart", she replies,"that's an ugly squashed up little thing, know where as nice as yours" :)

End of debate, lock thread

Rob

• Like 1

Z4M coupe is a rare car, yes there are lots of normal Z4's, but almost no coupe's the Z4M coupe has an Old E type feeling about it, with the long bonnet and shot canopy.

For me the 350Z has always been more show, than go. Its a good looking car, no denying it, but it lacks some minor FI it should have had from the factory in order to be able to cash the chequers that its body work is writing.

• Like 1

the Z4M coupe has an Old E type feeling about it, with the long bonnet and shot canopy.

That was one of the things that I didn't like about The Z4 the long bonnet. Turning out from junctions can be difficult and getting out of a parking space in a supermarket car park with a big Chelsea tractor right next to you is tricky. To get to our house you have to make a turn right into our lane off another narrow lane which is on a blind bend.... not easy in a Clio, difficult in The Zed and almost dangerous in a Z4 . Other than that I found the driving position somewhat uncomfortable, but that's more than likely a "just me" thing as Caroline found it great for her.

Pete

:lol: at who said the Z4 3.0 with the M54B30 lump is nearly the same as the Z4M with S54B32 lump. Over 100bhp apart and different in nearly every way on everything else! Like comparing a focus st170 and the new rs!
  • Like 2

Agree with you Rich... you can't discount, as you might a standard one, the M without driving it. MY point was that to most people/family a Z4 is just a Z4. And tbh I see more Coupes than Roadsters these days!

If your car only matters to YOU (as it should, I suppose?), the Z4m will be great I'm sure, but one of the nicest feelings is people who don't really know what it is appreciating the Zed, and when mine was stock it was fast enough to cash most cheques I ever needed it to. I know what you mean though... its biggest bonus its its biggest fault in a way - objectively it does look much better than it is and can disappoint some people wanting that Turbo rush from Evos etc.

But the mantra I always went by.. I could have had an E46 M3 over the Zed, and similarly to the Z4M its probably a 'better' car in every way except looks and exclusivity. But I was 18, and wanted to impress girls. I imagine sitting in my M3, and she says 'oh yeah my mum has one like this' (thinking of Mum's resale silver 318d) and you have to break out the anorak voice and explain you have the 3.2 litre M tuned version etc etc. And then she gets out.

Zed spoke for itself! And they didn't care that I could've bought an M3 that was faster...

• Like 1