350z or z4m coupe?

Bodyboarder81

I've had my 350 over 2 years but test drove a couple of z4m coupe's as my wife wanted one there's no denying it's good in every way and more comfortable than the 350 but it just didn't put the same stupid grin on my face

z4m coupe is ****ing sexy what you on about

I think they are pretty 'meh' to look at. The front reminds me of a parrot too with a conservative grill.

You gotta love the muscley sexy look of a Zed

Edited by addisj

I think the back end of both cars are the best bits! Front of the zed I wasn't a fan of, until I put a nice grill on the front and a splitter. Front looked a bit round and boring without some changes, it lacked the aggression to go with the big arches. Although all talk of comparing the two and saying one is better looking than the other is somewhat mute as its opinion rather than fact.

To be fair reading through the posts on a 350z forum it has been reasonably balanced - some people who have never owned any sports car other than the zed will more likely be saying nothing is better than it, then at the other end of the spectrum people who have owned lots of sports cars are a bit harsher - and a nice balance somewhere in the middle. Certainly a more balanced thread than you would get on many other forums (when I was on the Astra forum - just getting some parts off a trader I will add!) there were a lot of people who felt that the Astra 1.9 turbo diesel with a remap had 'superb' performance and blew away almost anything on the road...what a bunch of muppets.

As with Coldel post above, you do get very balanced views on this forum

My Zed (roadster) is the first sports car I've had for years, the last one being a 2.8i Capri :blush:, I purchased it based on what I wanted and it ticks all the right boxes

Rob

One "fact" on here for me sums up the entire thread: The 350Z is rarer, apparently .......... except there were 1,054 Z4M Coupes built and at least 8500 350Z's.

There seems to be a lot more opinion than experience being quoted on here, stick with the guys that have driven or owned both but solely on holding their money Id be looking toward the German option :)

^^^This.

I'd still have a Zed over a Z4M, but not necessarily because it's the better car. In every measurable way it's not, but for it's still got something that means I would choose it over the Bee-Em.

One "fact" on here for me sums up the entire thread: The 350Z is rarer, apparently .......... except there were 1,054 Z4M Coupes built and at least 8500 350Z's.

There seems to be a lot more opinion than experience being quoted on here, stick with the guys that have driven or owned both but solely on holding their money Id be looking toward the German option :)

It's true that Z4M's have a high resale value but then again they were 42k new compared to 30k for the 350Z. Anyone buying one new will have lost in the order of 25k as 7 year old ones are going for around 17k . They are probably depreciating at a lower rate than 350Z's percentage wise but the overall loss will be similar, 1-1.5k a year at a rough guess.

Pete

Was just going to post something similar - 90% opinion on this thread, rather than fact. But of course, it's opinions that makes choices more often than not, rather than facts...

Ultimately, you're comparing a car that was £25k new, with a £40k new car. Used values price a Z4M at roughly twice the price of an equivalent age / mileage 350Z. I, like others, done a similar comparison not long before I bought my most recent Datsun. The conclusion I came to was that the Datsun was significantly cheaper on purchase price and running costs, and did pretty much everything the BMW did (plus I have this reverse-badge snobbery thing which puts me off "premium" brands)

I argue that the average punter will be able to pilot a decent 350Z down a road (and most tracks) every bit as quick as a Z4M, as the power / weight advantage is partly nullified by the peaky power delivery of the Z4M engine. Not to say it's not a fantastic engine (more characterful and enjoyable than the Nissan engine undoubtedly), but very few will get the best out of it assuming not all roads are straight and speed limits apply..

Interesting that many of the reviews by relatively well respected motoring journo's / magazines felt the Z4M was incomplete from the perspective of vehicle dynamics, being set-up for smoother, continental asphalt, and consequently ran out of answers on some British roads.

http://www.pistonheads.com/doc.asp?c=52&i=26310

Was just going to post something similar - 90% opinion on this thread, rather than fact. But of course, it's opinions that makes choices more often than not, rather than facts...

Ultimately, you're comparing a car that was £25k new, with a £40k new car. Used values price a Z4M at roughly twice the price of an equivalent age / mileage 350Z. I, like others, done a similar comparison not long before I bought my most recent Datsun. The conclusion I came to was that the Datsun was significantly cheaper on purchase price and running costs, and did pretty much everything the BMW did (plus I have this reverse-badge snobbery thing which puts me off "premium" brands)

I argue that the average punter will be able to pilot a decent 350Z down a road (and most tracks) every bit as quick as a Z4M, as the power / weight advantage is partly nullified by the peaky power delivery of the Z4M engine. Not to say it's not a fantastic engine (more characterful and enjoyable than the Nissan engine undoubtedly), but very few will get the best out of it assuming not all roads are straight and speed limits apply..

Interesting that many of the reviews by relatively well respected motoring journo's / magazines felt the Z4M was incomplete from the perspective of vehicle dynamics, being set-up for smoother, continental asphalt, and consequently ran out of answers on some British roads.

http://www.pistonhea...sp?c=52&i=26310

Didnt rate that PH review really, nothing really objective from a testing perspective for most of it. For every bad review there seems to be a good one:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/204614/bmw_z4.html

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/Drives/Search-Results/First-drives/BMW-Z4-M-Coupe/

Funny thing is you can find reviews of the 350z that are equally as poor as the above PH one where they complain about the handling or the below average interior. Clarkson did nothing but whinge about it, but then again who listens to him.

A lot comes back to the fact that the 350z is a cheap way to get into sports car ownership with a reasonably reliable car with average running costs vs most alternatives.

Youre missing the point .......... the 350Z was a mass produced Nissan, available worldwide for 8 odd years. The Z4 Coupe was a limited edition car put together by BMW Motorsport for less than two years and sold less than 5,000 in total, RHD and LHD.

In 20 years time, which one is going to be worth the money? Clue: Its probably the one that pretty much every single predecessor it had is now out of the reach of mere mortals, not the one that gets serviced next to a Micra ;)

Seriously though, this isnt the old 911 vs 350Z comparison where one was blatantly more expensive so is going to hold better money, this is the 350Z vs CSL/Z3M/1M/Z1/M3 GT - the Z4M is destined to become a collectors car just the same as those are, this is exactly why Im looking to buy a 1M as my next car and not a 135iM. :)

Youre missing the point .......... the 350Z was a mass produced Nissan, available worldwide for 8 odd years. The Z4 Coupe was a limited edition car put together by BMW Motorsport for less than two years and sold less than 5,000 in total, RHD and LHD.

In 20 years time, which one is going to be worth the money? Clue: Its probably the one that pretty much every single predecessor it had is now out of the reach of mere mortals, not the one that gets serviced next to a Micra ;)

Seriously though, this isnt the old 911 vs 350Z comparison where one was blatantly more expensive so is going to hold better money, this is the 350Z vs CSL/Z3M/1M/Z1/M3 GT - the Z4M is destined to become a collectors car just the same as those are, this is exactly why Im looking to buy a 1M as my next car and not a 135iM. :)

This is correct.

The z4m coupe as a car is in a different league to a 350z and much rarer. Judging by the new m3/m4 real m cars will become even more sought after in the future.

The 1M is a good example. IMO it ugly as hell and I don't like the screaming turbo engine compared to the n/a m cars, especially the v8 and v10. Yet they cost more now than they did when they were new.

I think the 350z is great, but it's no M car. Not even close. Unless your comparing it to a chav'd 150k mile e46.

This thread reminds me of what arsene Wenger said a few years ago, "everyone thinks they have the prettiest wife at home".

Edited by Kev

http://www.pistonhea...sp?c=52&i=26310

Didnt rate that PH review really, nothing really objective from a testing perspective for most of it. For every bad review there seems to be a good one:

http://www.evo.co.uk...614/bmw_z4.html

http://www.carmagazi...BMW-Z4-M-Coupe/

Funny thing is you can find reviews of the 350z that are equally as poor as the above PH one where they complain about the handling or the below average interior. Clarkson did nothing but whinge about it, but then again who listens to him.

A lot comes back to the fact that the 350z is a cheap way to get into sports car ownership with a reasonably reliable car with average running costs vs most alternatives.

I'm not disagreeing with you, or stating that it was in any way a bad car, just the fact that it's not quite the finished article and not as well suited to our roads as it could be. The CH view (not review) is just stating his opinions on the car as a slightly missed opportunity for what could have been a true great. I previously wondered if there was an aftermarket suspension kit that would improve the Z4M's supposed dynamic issues for our roads..?

Another couple of reviews that are worth a chew over:

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/209894/bmw_z4_v_nissan_350z.html

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/cargrouptests/203152/bmw_z4_m_coupe_v_porsche_cayman_s_v_nissan_350z_gts_concept.html

The 350z is better than the Z4 3.0 BUT the Z4 M is better than the 350z and the 370z to my mind. Will also hold its value better I should think.

I beg to differ. The two cars are essentially the same. Having test driven both, the only glaring difference is the fixed roof and the marginal 0.2 increase. The straight 6 still delivers a top speed of 155, but with a 0.5 reduction in 0-60 time. The preference between the two extends only as far as which do you prefer - The added extras afforded by the M package, or not. Either way, both are in a different league to the 350z, and I feel no shame in saying I adored my 350z.

A z4m is not a z4 with a "m package".

It's a proper m car like a m5 or a m3. Not like a 330 with a m sport kit.

The z4m is a much more raw and has the engine from the e46 m3.

Comparing a z4 to a z4m is the same as comparing a 540i to a M5. No comparison at all. Different league.

• Like 1

I don't think people are missing the point mate, the OP didn't ask what would be the most valuable car in future or what would hold its value well. They asked opinions (quite broadly) on the two cars...which people are giving, whether they are incorrect or not.

at the end of the day he asked for opinions some based on actual experiance of both cars some not but still opinions which everyone if entitled to if he decided to buy a car without test driving it now that would be silly

Ya it's all good reading to be honest and I do appreciate all the comments. There are pros and cons to both cars. As said its not a bad position to be in.... If the right 350 came up I would be very happy with it I'm sure but as there's none out there at the mo that I fancy might as well see what else is. ........ Have we had an opinion from someone who has had one yet?.....

Ya it's all good reading to be honest and I do appreciate all the comments. There are pros and cons to both cars. As said its not a bad position to be in.... If the right 350 came up I would be very happy with it I'm sure but as there's none out there at the mo that I fancy might as well see what else is. ........ Have we had an opinion from someone who has had one yet?.....

The chances of finding a z4m coupe owner on a 350/370z forum are slim IMO.

I don't think people are missing the point mate, the OP didn't ask what would be the most valuable car in future or what would hold its value well. They asked opinions (quite broadly) on the two cars...which people are giving, whether they are incorrect or not.

Thanks and all that but he actually asked:

just wandering if anybody has run a z4m coupe and how do they compare to the 350

his next post was:

For the same spec z4m coupe as a 350 hr ( year and mileage ) looks like they are around 15-16k .... Most seem to have/ want warranty on them .... This scares me.

Note the use of word "run" in the first quote' date=' this would suggest he is looking for firsthand experience, not what you imagine the suspension might be like, for instance.

In the second quote he is referring to the fact the Z4M is more expensive to buy, I was pointing out that they are not really comparable on a like for like as one is considerably rarer and more likely to become a collectors car. In fact, those were pretty much exactly my words:

this isnt the old 911 vs 350Z comparison where one was blatantly more expensive so is going to hold better money, this is the 350Z vs CSL/Z3M/1M/Z1/M3 GT - the Z4M is destined to become a collectors car just the same as those are

Bodyboarder - theres a few that have driven both, and a guy thats got a Z4 3.0 atm :)

Edited by docwra

If you want to be pedantic about words then 'run' doesn't necessarily mean have first hand experience, I know a lot about a Mazda 6 because my neighbour who owned one for 8 years who I go to the pub with all the time regales me with stories of ownership and 'running' it - I know a lot of second hand information about a Mazda 6 without it being first hand - and its valuable information. In fact, why would 'run' not include first hand experience of the suspension? If its harsh and needs replacing, that could well become a sunk 'running' cost.

So if we are all missing the point, how comes the OP hasn't come back on and said so, and in fact came back on and thanked everyone for the useful comments.

Jeez.

C'mon, "Running one" does not mean living next door to someone who had one, does it?

Theres been a few examples recently of people wanting to post so badly they actually ignore what the thread is about, the MR2/Celica was a classic where only about 20% of posters actually had one and I seem to remember there was some pretty shocking advice over the guy with the welded crank as well.

Sorry for pointing it out but it does my head in, what could be a useful gem of information gets lost in loads of "but Ive heard" crap.

Rather like it did here in fact :lol:

So if we are all missing the point' date=' how comes the OP hasn't come back on and said so, and in fact came back on and thanked everyone for the useful comments.[/quote']

........ Have we had an opinion from someone who has had one yet?.....

He did. Can I say "Jeez" now? :lol:

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1