Clarkson

Fodder

I find it absurd that he felt he had to apologise - the old rhyme is what it is - yes we don't use it anymore, but for goodness sakes...............politcal correctness once again carried too far

• Like 4

It sounds silly but the 'n' word would not be taken as being as offensive as other words you could use when talking about a person from Nigeria ... I know; I used to live there ... the worst thing you can do to a black African is the 5 finger salute which is far more offensive than our very own V sign

It was for a feb 2013 episode. I agree it's publicity but I think he's on the ropes from the Burma episode too.

Oh and the rhyme was "tiger" wasn't it? I grew up in the 70's and I thought the N version was an adaptation of the tiger version :shrug:

Edited by Fodder

I was only talking about Alf Garnett and "it ain't half hot mum" and the fact that UK Gold hadn't shown them yesterday... On one of my rare trips into the office

Warren Mitchell showed how good an actor he really was in that roll, I read some articles a few years back at how he detested the character and what his beliefs were; that's the reason why he played him

Edited by Fodder

Obviously a quiet week in the news sector for the mirror. And someone on the production team out to make a few quid by passing footage never used to a tabloid. Yet another piece of high quality tabloid journalism.

• Like 2

It was for a feb 2013 episode. I agree it's publicity but I think he's on the ropes from the Burma episode too.

Oh and the rhyme was "tiger" wasn't it? I grew up in the 70's and I thought the N version was an adaptation of the tiger version :shrug:

That unfortunately isn't right, I grew up in the 50's/early 60's and the rhyme used in our playground contained the N version.
  • Like 2

That unfortunately isn't right, I grew up in the 50's/early 60's and the rhyme used in our playground contained the N version.

They call each other the N word, its only if us "honkeys" use it that its offensive. :scare: :scare:

You can only be racial offended if you're a minority group. Otherwise you can just be offended. I don't like the n word and I think these days its going out of fashion. Which is no bad thing

No' its back in fashion big time with Rap Artists.

Have a listen the call each other Nigga all the time.

• For the last several years, rap artists have increasingly used "nigger" in their lyrics, ... In his song "Straight Up Nigga,Action Bronson raps, "I'm a nigga in Africa, and ... black rappers portraying gang members call one another "nigger" almost as ...
    • Slain artist named Lucky Dube, hijacked ... I'm a nigger, he's a nigger, she's a nigger, we some niggers .... he's talking about a song called ''Bitherphobia'', were Eminem CLEARLY call his best friend, Proof, ''Nig'' instead of ''Nigga'', go see ...

[*]

• 24 Jan 1993 - One of America's oldest and most searing epithets -- "nigger" -- is flooding into the ... For the last several years, rap artists have increasingly used "nigger" in their lyrics, ... and indeed, a large portion of his record sales are in white America. ... black rappers portraying gang members call one another "nigger" ...

Edited by WhackyWill

Obviously a quiet week in the news sector for the mirror. And someone on the production team out to make a few quid by passing footage never used to a tabloid. Yet another piece of high quality tabloid journalism.

I don't read papers full stop. I picked this up on twitter. I'm quite a cynical person so typically take "news" with a pinch of salt.

It's an emotive subject though and working for a global company i only hear about different cultures and how colleagues spend their time away from work rather than worry about how someone looks or what their beliefs happen to be.

What ever was used in the past doesn`t matter, it has to be accepted that the word will be found offensive and clarkson should not have even gone there.

You dont need to say it, just touching on the subject is obvious you will be too close to the mark and he should have shown better judgement.

What rap stars say and do is up to them but it does not make it acceptable for others to say it as well.

Anyone who thinks its ok try doing it in Brixton and see if you get home that night....... Be sensible eh.

• Like 2

His video response is the pleading of a man who thinks he's commited a criminal offence and is squirming and wriggling for fear of the consequences. It's about time the fear of the law made him cringe. He knows he went too far this time and I enjoyed seeing him shrink for once. It doesn't matter how many racists try to defend him, or say it doesn't matter, or attempt to find excuses for him - he apologises because he knows the truth (which, strangely, some posters on this thread choose not to acknowledge) - and if you watch that disgusting video you'll see the truth too. He's a racist, like many many others, and now he's worried that in the current climate of targetting well-known faces he could get arrested. In my opinion he should be arrested, charged and tried. The evidence is there. One day it will all catch up with him - personally I hope that this is the day. Commit the crime, do the time.

Just my opinion.

• Like 4

IMHO, it's textbook JC, he loves to flirt around emotive/sensitive subjects and be all, "it's PC gone mad, I'm just a bloody bloke, saying bloody blokey things, just like down the bloody bloke pub with my bloke beer". He's not got any actual gags so he does "humour" via controversy. Then there's a bit of press coverage, it goes away, job done.

However, he's playing with fire on this one, also with the bridge wordplay in the Burma episode and the Mexican thing a while back, it starts to build a profile up - he should just leave this subject alone and upset the Greens and Guardianistas and Cyclists with his CO2 emissions and climate change denial stuff. He's turning into a real life Partridge, and not in a funny way.

FWIW I don't think he's "a racist", I personally think that's more defined by how you approach and treat people than use of language, but he's so close to the line here that I don't know where it is in relation to his enormous, tedious mouth.

As said above in other posts, it'll make no odds to anyone in the real world but the growing professionally offended culture we're incubating in the UK will have a field day. I'm all for avoiding people/programmes that I don't like/enjoy (as opposed to banning them or whatever else), but that's not enough for everyone and plenty will have had their knives out for a while now. He's undoubtedly worth millions so it's not like he's going to be impacted in any way, whatever the outcome. He just might have to sit in the racist corner with Ron Atkinson whilst the camera points elsewhere in future.

What I do think is intriguing is the question of the ethics of someone leaking potentially sensitive and offensive outtakes outside an organisation that employs them.

• Like 2