Clarkson

Fodder

Maybe my last sentence was a bit too subtle, it was a bit of a dig at both sides. ;)

Incidentally, I have no black friends at all. Never have done. No particular reason, my social circle just doesn't seem to be anything other than exclusively white. That said, on the interweb I know plenty of coloured folks, some of whom I've met in real life and have got on well with, so I don't think I'm racist in that regard. Again, it's more what's in your heart than what you say/do when it comes to hate crimes. For example, I hate all religion equally so have zero problem slagging that off, however I do still respect peoples right to believe in what they want.

Also, Lewis is my favourite driver so I can't be racist! :D

• Like 2

This is political correctness gone mad... Those are the words to the rhyme, if I sang along to all the hip hop crap these days that says the word hundreds of times does that make me racist??

Good way of putting it into prospective :)

• Like 3

At the risk of being serious...

On the general subject, I think there's an enormous difference between what language people use amongst themselves (rapping along to tunes or amongst friends who know your behaviour as well as your use of language) and what is used via a medium which touches millions of people, the majority of which don't know their true attitudes, like TV, movies, twitter et al.

Having said that I think this specific issue came to light in totally the wrong way, and I think that has an impact on his level of public crucifixion. If, at work, you have a problem with something someone says then:

+ You take it up with management.

+ If you think it's been brushed under the carpet then you have a right to go over their head and seek out senior management.

+ If that is brushed under the carpet, you have a duty to go to official bodies or to the media and leak information.

This is the spirit of the public information disclosure act. It's a last resort to right a wrong and not a tool to grind an axe against someone WITHOUT making any attempt at all to use the proper channels first. No one has mentioned the complainant has tried to report this correctly in any way before leaking to the press. This is flat out wrong IMHO.

Also when you're making a TV show or Film there are many takes, not all of these are a good idea or will see the light of day. To give an example, if an actor like Will Ferrell did a dozen takes of a scene an some of these were hugely inappropriate to include in the final film, for reasons of race/orientation/gender inequality, no one would hold it against him for pushing the limits of taste and decency, and he wouldn't face this kind of scrutiny. Equally, although Clarkson isn't an actor, he very definitely has a Top Gear character which he uses and I personally think that doing a take which is not appropriate for broadcast is part of him doing the "Clarkson" and there's a reason productions are edited before distribution.

If anyone who worked on set who witnessed that had an issue, they have every right to raise it, just via the correct channels first, then to the meida as a last resort - not as the first point of contact. If Clarkson had refused to do other takes and insisted this go out to the world, it'd be a different story.

Edited by SuperStu
  • Like 2

This is political correctness gone mad... Those are the words to the rhyme, if I sang along to all the hip hop crap these days that says the word hundreds of times does that make me racist??

Good way of putting it into prospective :)

I assume you mean 'perspective' ???

• 2 weeks later...

Personally speaking.

I think if the 'n' term is such an offensive term to the demographic that it applies to, and in fact to anyone else, then a blanket ban is the only way to deal with the issue with consequences for anyone that says it.

This includes all art,all film and music forms.

Then nobody can claim offence and anyone who does can be punished by the courts.

I think it's ridiculous we even have these debates but if it has to be an issue then ban it for all.

So I am watching Dambusters from 1954 and the black labrador is called Nigger,his name is frequently used!

For the very few who were so upset with the use of the word, is this acceptable to be broadcast?

I am sure I read that the political correct mob moaned, so they have now dubbed it over and called the dog "trigger" or something like that :shrug:

It was very much nigger!

I also heard the other day a bbc Devon dj got sacked for playing, the sun has got his hat on because it contains the n word!

What is the world coming too!

Yeah he actually played it instead of a different song that he was worried about...

At the end of the day can you be historically racist by playing a song?

Sent from the golf club...