Clarkson

Fodder

Wow this thread....Glad I ignored it now....

2 Things.....

1. Just watched the video....in what world did he CLEARLY say Nigger? Are you sure he didn't just mumble Nipper? And before you say, he obviously said it because he apologised, he was obviously forced to make a public apology regardless of what he said.

2. Get off your mighty high horses! Clipty clopping around. You are as much offended as you are a racist. That's how I look at it anyway, if you are going to be offended by the smallest of things, then you have problems. Bigger problems going on that this one small UNCLEAR comment.

• Like 2

From the Black Police Officers Association to the Music Of Black Origin awards, there are plenty of examples of organisations and groups in existence today that discriminate based on race.

I agree with most of your post Chris, but these organisations were formed because there is already discrimination within the parent organisations... The Music Industry and The Police. You can't really blame a minority group for wanting to have something which isn't totally controlled by old white men with secret handshakes.

So the answer to dealing with an organisation that discriminates based on race/colour, is to set up an organisation that discriminates based on race/colour?

No, I didn't say it was right. I was just pointing out the reason for these organisations. I like to think they were created to balance out inequality rather than specifically discriminate against "whites". The answer is easy... stop people from discriminating... we've not done very well at that in the past though! :)

This is my last word on Clarkson..!!

OK my take on the Clarkson fiasco...Top Gear the most successful show the BBC has ever made, BBC has just got world wide rights on it which means its going to make the BBC a mint going forward, the engine that drives it is Jennifer- sorry Jezza Clarkson, He is NOT a racist ffs!!! In this stupidly over protective PC country we live in he is a beacon of normality, he pokes one finger up at the establishment. that is all. Did you know that the 'slope' incident caused one person to complain to OFCOM, ONE PERSON!!! and probably not a regular TG viewer, yet it was enough for the Director General of the BBC to issue a warning to Clarkson that if he did it again he'd be fired, talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face Mr Hall.

The nursery rhyme incident again was 'leaked' apparently from the BBC to the toilet paper that is the Daily Mirror the footage they came into the possession of has never been broadcast as Clarkson himself after reviewing it decided to do the take again it should have been deleted, so it strikes me as a tad questionable that it should surface in a tabloid that Piers Morgan used to edit, old boys club sticking together perhaps?

To all the uptight, politically correct, anti Top Gear, Piers Morgan fan, bell ends out there, please get over yourselves, are you that shallow that you get 'offended' by a mumble at the end of an old children's rhyme and by the association that the possibility of the 'N' word may have been used, it wasn't, If you don't like Clarkson May or Hammond or the show, the answer is oh so simple, don't watch it, oh and shut up and allow the millions of us licence paying fans to enjoy a bit of Sunday evening automotive mayhem and humour, which you probably don't understand anyway. End of rant..!! :scare: :scare: :scare:

· ·
Edited by WhackyWill
  • Like 4

This is my last word on Clarkson..!!

OK my take on the Clarkson fiasco...Top Gear the most successful show the BBC has ever made, BBC has just got world wide rights on it which means its going to make the BBC a mint going forward, the engine that drives it is Jennifer- sorry Jezza Clarkson, He is NOT a racist ffs!!! In this stupidly over protective PC country we live in he is a beacon of normality, he pokes one finger up at the establishment. that is all. Did you know that the 'slope' incident caused one person to complain to OFCOM, ONE PERSON!!! and probably not a regular TG viewer, yet it was enough for the Director General of the BBC to issue a warning to Clarkson that if he did it again he'd be fired, talk about cutting your nose off to spite your face Mr Hall.

The nursery rhyme incident again was 'leaked' apparently from the BBC to the toilet paper that is the Daily Mirror the footage they came into the possession of has never been broadcast as Clarkson himself after reviewing it decided to do the take again it should have been deleted, so it strikes me as a tad questionable that it should surface in a tabloid that Piers Morgan used to edit, old boys club sticking together perhaps?

To all the uptight, politically correct, anti Top Gear, Piers Morgan fan, bell ends out there, please get over yourselves, are you that shallow that you get 'offended' by a mumble at the end of an old children's rhyme and by the association that the possibility of the 'N' word may have been used, it wasn't, If you don't like Clarkson May or Hammond or the show, the answer is oh so simple, don't watch it, oh and shut up and allow the millions of us licence paying fans to enjoy a bit of Sunday evening automotive mayhem and humour, which you probably don't understand anyway. End of rant..!! :scare: :scare: :scare:

· ·

Life's not quite so simple as deciding that anyone who doesn't think casual racism is funny is some sort of overly sensitive PC lefty etc etc. Bear in mind that some of us just listen to what he says and make our own judgements based on the words that come out of his mouth. And bear in mind that not liking Clarkson, Top Gear and outdated 'humour' doesn't qualify us as being 'bell ends'.

• Like 2

Sorry, but yes, calling for every incident of casual (read accidental) (read unintentional) (read by very definition therefore not) racism to be answered with an arrest, job losses and compensation to the crown, does make you a wet lefty and it makes you part of the problem. If anything, the fact you're so acutely aware of it, really makes you more racist than the person who didn't actually realise it was offensive.

Your second point is partially true, but in reality, the person calling you a bell end, is really the person who makes that judgement, not the person being called a bell end. If it were the person being called a bell end who got to judge, there would be no bell ends and then what would we do!?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Oh, FFS, you're still debating on this, get a life people! :shrug:

Personally, I'm not debating currently - the polarised positions are already very well established - but I support anyone who wishes to debate. Sadly, as you can see, continued debate has lead to personal abuse and baiting from certain members of the 'Clarkson's not a racist' camp and I'm not stooping to that level. I'm just waiting for Ofcom's ruling. Ofcom don't have the vested interest that is clouding the BBC's judgement on the Burma comments.

I hope you're not suggesting it's not a serious subject for debate, because it certainly is. Clarkson is the most influential character on the world's most popular car show. If he makes racist comments, it's serious - as he himself agrees in his apology.

Surely until there is a resolution, the issue is still live. If you find it boring, why not read or do something else?

• Like 1

Sorry, but yes, calling for every incident of casual (read accidental) (read unintentional) (read by very definition therefore not) racism to be answered with an arrest, job losses and compensation to the crown, does make you a wet lefty and it makes you part of the problem. If anything, the fact you're so acutely aware of it, really makes you more racist than the person who didn't actually realise it was offensive.

Your second point is partially true, but in reality, the person calling you a bell end, is really the person who makes that judgement, not the person being called a bell end. If it were the person being called a bell end who got to judge, there would be no bell ends and then what would we do!?

Your big mistake is to assume that I called for Clarkson to be arrested, sacked or anything else. I didn't. I just think his 'humour' is crass, outdated and potentially damaging because it encourages people to believe that casual racism is acceptable. As Chubster says, its a shame that those of you who are so offended by the fact that some of us don't like Clarkson can't express their views without personal insults.

Edited by sipar69

I don't like Clarkson either, and haven't watched TG for about ten years. Liking a person or not is irrelevant to the debate in hand, unless you happen to be such a TG fan that you worship at the feet of St Clarkson.

• Like 1

Casual rascism, is this a new term for trying to play the race card, trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, clutching at straws that you get a chance to wave your flag and make a big noise about nothing?

The word was used within a rhyme (even mumbled), it was not used within a sentence expressing any form of hate towards anyone particular, there was no conviction in his voice.

If the 2 of you seriously believe uttering the word nigger is casual racism you need to address your understanding and views as you are doing racism no favours by holding onto such believes and going on witch hunts and crusades for the mere use of the word. At best you are evoking more racial hatred and diversity between skin colours and at worst, as said before, are racist to the extreme by baying from the rooftops for peoples heads, particularly when they are white ;)

• Like 2

Casual rascism, is this a new term for trying to play the race card, trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill, clutching at straws that you get a chance to wave your flag and make a big noise about nothing?

The word was used within a rhyme (even mumbled), it was not used within a sentence expressing any form of hate towards anyone particular, there was no conviction in his voice.

If the 2 of you seriously believe uttering the word nigger is casual racism you need to address your understanding and views as you are doing racism no favours by holding onto such believes and going on witch hunts and crusades for the mere use of the word. At best you are evoking more racial hatred and diversity between skin colours and at worst, as said before, are racist to the extreme by baying from the rooftops for peoples heads, particularly when they are white ;)

My last comments on this issue. As already explained, I have not called for him to be sacked, banned or anything else. I simply said I don't like his crass, outdated, humour. Not sure how that constitutes 'baying' or a 'witch hunt'. Nor could I care less about some juvenile remark made on an unplayed clip of a programme made for forty year old children.

As for your comment about 'casual racism' being a new term, you might want to investigate what the term means. It's a well established term to describe less overt acts of racism i.e. the odd 'nigger' joke here, the odd 'slope' comment there. Just Google it if you don't want to take my word for it. Ignorance of the issue is the biggest danger, not the fact that a few people on here are prepared to speak out against it, despite the remarkable amounts of poorly written vitriol that gets sent in their direction for doing so.

As I said, my last words on the subject.

Edited by sipar69

Casual racism isn't a term I'm particularly comfortable using, tbh. I don't think it does either side any favours, although I can see how the term came about. You're either racist, or you're not: It's black or white, if you'll excuse the pun.

It's perfectly possible to use words like nigger, slope, chinky etc without harbouring a racist thought in your head. Equally you could never use those words but be the most horrible human being who detests all people of a certain colour.

• Like 1

It was obviously said tongue in cheek (it seems you dont like to read between the lines) but If broadening my intellectual horizons (just to flatter you) means becoming a bigot rather than a realist i will stay as i am thanks :)

Acts of actual racism deserve the full extend of the law by the way, i am in no way a racist, but it seems the difference is, i can see the wood for the trees as it seems the majority commenting does, but i am sick to death of the minority voice over shadowing the majority in this country!

• Like 2

Yes - I too feel that someone may lock this thread, for reasons best known to themselves. I've witnessed that kind of action before on forums.

So, before it's locked, let me just say how sad it is that there seem still to be racists and their defenders* all over the place in our fine country. I live in hope that one day they will see.

*many of whom claim, "I am not a racist"!

Edited by chubbster

It doesn't need locking, people just need to refrain with name calling.

Much like Chubbster, I too hope that one day people will learn to accept each other without labels, be that a racial insult or indiscriminate classifying.

• Like 1

So along the same lines, do people feel as strongly about casual homophobia then? Use of the word 'gay' to describe something rubbish or effeminate is a as common as ever: Certainly it's still used infrequently on here.

• Like 1

This attitude that if you don't agree when a liberal white person shouts racist, you must be one, is what has ruined this country. I for one am sick of it. You want to see casual racism that actually is offensive and disgusting, go live in NZ for a while, the place is full of it, from both sides and the majority of them have no idea their thoughts are a problem.

It doesn't need locking, people just need to refrain with name calling.

Much like Chubbster, I too hope that one day people will learn to accept each other without labels, be that a racial insult or indiscriminate classifying.

They/we do imho, except when we are being branded racist when we are not. As hollowpoint says, as soon as we dare suggest we do not agree with something someone does who isnt white, your branded racist (as with this thread), when the persons race has nothing to do with it, it just so happens they arent white, ironically the word racist is used far to "casually" if you ask me. I am not a racist or casual racist, i do not go out of my way to persecute anyone who isnt white, live and let live.

But, do not force me into being "racist" because i dont agree with certain cultures attitudes towards us/me as more often than not, the ones claiming you a racist are the most racist themselves, but it doesnt seem to work the other way round bizarrely. One of my best female friends is Indian just for the record.

It has nothing to do with the colour of your skin, if your a c*ck, i will tell you your a c*ck (not aimed at anyone on here), but as soon as you highlight someone is a c*ck who happens to be coloured, your racist and that is just farcical if you ask me.