Summons in the post this morning

JetSet

Do you get paid then whilst on Jury service?

Is it the same as your normal wage if so or do they add a little extra for travelling/expenses? :dry:

Just curious that's all. Never done Jury service myself obviously.

It worked out for me that i would be paid £80 a day, plus a rate for mileage/parking/public transport, also get lunch provided.

If i was to get called up now i couldn't get by on what they pay.

Is it the same as your normal wage if so or do they add a little extra for travelling/expenses? :dry:

You're paid a flat rate from memory however most employers cater for this, mine pay full whack while you're out. Your employer/HR have to declare you aren't being paid while your attending for you to qualify for any payment from the judicial system.

Thanks for the info. :thumbs:

Tbh I hope I never get called up as I can think of better ways to spend a few days from work paid or not. Not to mention work can't do without me. :lol: If only. :D

When I say flat rate I mean minimal but that was 20 years ago.

To be fair I think it's one of those things everyone should partake in given the opportunity. However some of the cases will be grim and I feel sorry for those folks who have to sit through the "facts" several times

Nothing worse than a summons. I was called into the central criminal court back in 2011 as a state prosecution witness to a fatal stabbing... thing is I didn't even see the incident I was just passing (in my opel corsa 1.2 GSI :lol: ) and stopped to help... 2 days in court and having to get up on the stand. Not very enjoyable.

Because I'm retired I can claim very little, £5.71 a day subsistence or £12.71 if god forbid I'm there for over 10 hours. Fuel allowance is 31.4 p per mile and the crown court is 3 miles away. For those working its £32.47 a day, if the trial goes over 10 days its £64.95 above 201 days £114.03. That figure doubles if you're there for more than 4 hours a day.

Pete

At one time you could pocket the money but most employers will take the money you receive from your salary. At one stage the company I worked for expected you to come in at weekends if you were on shifts but that all changed when one guy on shifts found himself on a 4 month fraud trial.

Pete

Never done it, how do they know they can call on you? Would love to do it once.

Electoral roll is the first source of record I believe.

I had had a couple of lemonade a last night. I of course meant system of record.

Best thing to do is simply turn up wearing a shell suit and a Burberry baseball cap, wave and give a big thumbs up to the accused and call everyone a Dobber!

You'll either be remanded in custody pending a background report or excused!

When I got called the wee ned turned up late and told the judge that the bus was late. Next day he didn't turn up and the judge ordered police officers to go to his home and get him and bring him to court, whilst we waited. He ended up pleading guilty and sentencing got postponed for social work reports!!

Edited by stuarty

Summoned once, but was excused due to being in the Merchant Navy and it would have been the middle of a 4 month trip.

That was 10 yrs ago and I've never been called up since.

is there a distance limit? I used to live in london when I got a summons and now live 65 miles away. Surely that has to be a decent enough reason to be excused? would be a nightmare 3 hour commute each way...

I'm not aware of any distance limit but in rural areas I can definitely see a problem. AFAIK there are just 2 crown courts in North Wales, Caernarfon and Mold plus one just over the border in Chester. So if you live in somewhere like Rhyl it's 35-40 miles to the nearest court.

Pete

Probably worse in some parts of rural scotland too - is it fair for a court to expect hebridians to attend? By satellite uplink perhaps?

Both the Orkneys and Hebrides have courts as do a few of the other Islands, in fact Scotland has loads of courts for some reason. Bit awkward if you live on Fair Isle though :lol: .

Pete

• 10 months later...

I'm employed and self-employed - if I got called - no problem with the employed side of it, but it would crucify my personal business - my clients often expect a turn around within a few days.

How would that be seen by the courts ?

When I got called up at 18 it was a real pain in the ass as I didn't have a job at the time. It was interesting, but meant I couldn't work for most of the summer holidays. The daily rate they paid me barely covered the bus fare from Midhurst to Chichester. :(

I'm employed and self-employed - if I got called - no problem with the employed side of it, but it would crucify my personal business - my clients often expect a turn around within a few days.

They might not see you at all, but hopefully they would get a box for you to stand on :)

• Like 4

It's a good point and for self employed I'd hope there was some provision/concession.