Summons in the post this morning

JetSet

I thought I'd got away with it as time was running out but it arrived this morning. Not what you're thinking but a jury summons. Funny thing was Caroline and I were talking about the Hillsborough inquest and how it would last 12 months just a couple of days ago :scare: . Hopefully it'll only last a couple of weeks in my case, fingers crossed.

Pete

I got summoned to jury service many years ago at The High Court.

I went there all scruffy not shaved for a few days and smelling of booze...

Never got picked, thanked me for coming, gave me £12 - 00 expenses

and was taken off the jury service list, if you get rejected your off the list... :yahoo:

• Like 3

I got called up a couple of years ago..... expecting 2 weeks. 4 months later, yes 4 months the trial finished. We were asked if we'd be okay with a trial lasting 4-6 weeks, so we accepted. It was a lie and was always going to end up being a long trial.

We were excused of being called for jury service for 2 years.

I got called up last summer, I told them that I can't afford to lose that amount of money compared to what they offer as 'pay' and that as I'm self employed I have work lined up for those dates that can't be re arranged.

I got let off so fingers crossed they don't come calling back

I got called up a couple of years ago..... expecting 2 weeks. 4 months later, yes 4 months the trial finished. We were asked if we'd be okay with a trial lasting 4-6 weeks, so we accepted. It was a lie and was always going to end up being a long trial.

The one I didn't get picked for was a City fraud trial that lasted 18 months and all found not guilty..!!! :surrender:

The one I didn't get picked for was a City fraud trial that lasted 18 months and all found not guilty..!!! :surrender:

Wow, sod that. We were naffed off with it after 4 weeks. Ours (without giving too much information away) was to do with a huge importation of drugs. I'm talking a lot of tonnes, not just a bag here or there.

Was very interesting, but was tedious.

Apparently, not sure how accurate this is, but I've been told I'm exempt because my brother is in the police. Something to do with that I may be more sympathetic to the police. In some ways it's good, but in other ways I'd like to do it :lol:

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

I got called in for it right as I was to be on holiday, I didnt have anything booked but it was a week I couldnt move at the time, I didn't get paid squat! They went away for 2 days of discussions and before ANYTHING happened they came up and said he made a deal and pleaded guilty. We didn't even make it to the selection stage and we were sitting in the courtroom basically the whole damned time!

I'd love to be called up for jury service :(

but even so, you're not actually allowed to take part................and I don't think you're one to sit on your hands and say nothing :lol: :lol: :lol:;)

• Like 1

I've already done it once, only lasted for 2 weeks and had 2 trials. Really horrible ones that I wished I hadn't had to sit through.

One was guilty and one was innocent so saw both sides of it. For the chap who was innocent he was standing outside the court thanking us all when we walked out and on the guilty one I had to walk past the family of the defendant who had just been sent down for 5 years which was unnerving. We were delegating for 2 days! It was worse than watching paint dry.

Still fingers crossed I never get called up again.

Whilst I was on the jury there was another trial which was taking place that lasted 2 hours then was thrown out. A chap was accused of stealing a box of kitkats and when he appeared at magistrates he asked for it to been seen at crown and defended himself and then told them he wasn't there that day and the CCTV showed it wasn't him, one way of getting your own back for no doubt alot of hassle and aggregation from police etc.That jury got the rest of the week off and paid. Not jealous much!

Apparently, not sure how accurate this is, but I've been told I'm exempt because my brother is in the police. Something to do with that I may be more sympathetic to the police. In some ways it's good, but in other ways I'd like to do it :lol:

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

Very few people are exempt these days. The list includes serving Police Officers, who get a further 5 year exemption when they leave or retire, Solicitors/Barristers/Judges (who also get the 5 year exemption), members of the armed forces, The insane and anyone who has an unspent conviction within the last 10 years and the over 70's. The law was changed in 2004 and brought in occupations previously exempt, for example Doctors, Vets, Pharmacists, MP's, Peers, Dentists,etc.

I've already done it once, only lasted for 2 weeks and had 2 trials. Really horrible ones that I wished I hadn't had to sit through.

One of my fathers friends was on the Moors Murders trial in 1966, he was excused from any further Jury service for life.

Pete

• Like 2

I've been summoned and I had it deferred once as at the time I had a pretty bad leg injury and was waiting for surgery so my doctor told them I wasn't fit.

They summoned me again within 12 months and as I'd already had it deferred they wouldn't allow it a second time.

I actually found it quite interesting to be involved in the judicial system, that said I was on a case that lasted 4 days and then excused as it was the Easter bank holiday the next day.

My UK manager (who is one of my biggest internal clients - long story) was called a few years back and his lasted 4 months. He obviously wouldn't talk about it except I believe it was very grim involving a group distributing very disturbing imagery. He didn't say as much but I read between the lines

That I wouldn't have been able to deal with.

Do you get paid then whilst on Jury service?

Is it the same as your normal wage if so or do they add a little extra for travelling/expenses? :dry:

Just curious that's all. Never done Jury service myself obviously.

You're paid a flat rate from memory however most employers cater for this, mine pay full whack while you're out. Your employer/HR have to declare you aren't being paid while your attending for you to qualify for any payment from the judicial system.