Another Engine Rebuild at the Zed Shed New Update P4

Keyser

Hi everyone,

For someone that is not playing with cars at the moment I seem to be playing with a lot of cars :shrug: anyway me and Buster have had visitors at the shed every weekend since Christmas but then come Sunday This ..................

:tumbleweed:

KODC0062_zps56792034.jpg

So I thought I would take the opportunity to have a look at the engine that kept overheating in Luke's 350 which has a suspected blown head gasket -

KODC0064_zpsd1efc754.jpg

KODC0063_zps2e4b8d3f.jpg

Soon started stripping it down

KODC0065_zpsbf2d0ea1.jpg

KODC0066_zpsd7138173.jpg

onto the engine stand

KODC0067_zps166d3421.jpg

I then sat and supervised as the apprentices took over :scare:

KODC0068_zps37f8df5f.jpg

Covers off

KODC0069_zps65598e32.jpg

Primary chain off

KODC0070_zps21afedba.jpg

Heads Off

KODC0074_zpsaf926ea9.jpg

Pleas note the dark stain I think that's where the leak was

KODC0072_zpsf14f1da7.jpg

corresponding yucky looking head gasket

KODC0071_zps28587d7d.jpg

and mark on cylinder head

KODC0073_zps4c24becc.jpg

By the end of the day we had

KODC0076_zps6f580d0a.jpg

and a lot of bits :scare:

KODC0086_zps3cebabf5.jpg

No other damage found everything looks good so I will replace the non genuine head gaskets with some OEM and bolt it back together, the engine was recently "re conditioned" the bores are good and you can still see the marks where they where honed, the heads where professionally re conditioned and again you can see where they were recently skimmed so hopefully it was a cheap head gasket that caused the problem and we will have a good engine when rebuilt. Only the test drive will decide :)

Will update when the new parts arrive :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 8

Strangely I was talking to tonyr123 today and we were both saying , wonder when you will strip Luke's first engine to investigate the problem.

Looks like it was the gasket then looking at the photos of it!

Nice work as always :thumbs:

Fancy installing that into a 300zx..... ;)

That or one of the other 3 VQ35DE's in the front garden :lol:

All of them just crying out for a rebuild any one could be sorted and dropped into that 300 of yours :thumbs:

Don't worry I won't tell your better half if you don't ;)

Special reduced price for forum Mods :lol:

All of them just crying out for a rebuild any one could be sorted and dropped into that 300 of yours :thumbs:

Jesus. Temptation is a bugger!!

Maybe next year after the extension is built and paid for.

it'd be a hell of a challenge - custom engine mounts, custom loom, custom transmission adapter plate.....

Go on Lexx, bite the bullet and do it ;)

@ Chris you should of said if you ever have an empty garage I'm sure I could think of things to do with my zed. Then again surprised Bob wasn't in there changing wheels or spoiler etc!

@ Chris you should of said if you ever have an empty garage I'm sure I could think of things to do with my zed. Then again surprised Bob wasn't in there changing wheels or spoiler etc!

He changed his wheel spacers on Saturday AGAIN! :lol:

He left me on my own on Sunday as someone suggested something to do with Food - by all accounts there wasn't enough though - That will teach him :p

• Like 2

He changed his wheel spacers on Saturday AGAIN! :lol:

He left me on my own on Sunday as someone suggested something to do with Food - by all accounts there wasn't enough though - That will teach him :p

I'm never surprised anymore with Bob, bet he changes his wheels spacers more often than his underwear :lol:

• Like 1

Jesus. Temptation is a bugger!!

Maybe next year after the extension is built and paid for.

it'd be a hell of a challenge - custom engine mounts, custom loom, custom transmission adapter plate.....

DO IT!

• Like 1

Nice work guys.

It's likely that a cheap aftermarket gasket led to that engine dying but did you guys check to studs where all torqued to spec and cause it to lift? Just wondering because most of the gaskets should be fine for NA.

I was bending a 600mm breaker bar to loosen the head studs if anything I would say over torqued!

I was rather hoping they were loose so I could blame it on that though. The biggest problem is we didn't find a problem so are we just wasting money and time putting in gaskets and bolting it all back together :shrug:

Nice work guys.

It's likely that a cheap aftermarket gasket led to that engine dying but did you guys check to studs where all torqued to spec and cause it to lift? Just wondering because most of the gaskets should be fine for NA.

I was bending a 600mm breaker bar to loosen the head studs if anything I would say over torqued!

I was rather hoping they were loose so I could blame it on that though. The biggest problem is we didn't find a problem so are we just wasting money and time putting in gaskets and bolting it all back together :shrug:

Nice work Chris,

Would it be worth checking how true the head is where the leak occurred, if there is runout, just a couple of thou this may have caused the problem?

Suppose you could always put a thicker gasket in there to lower the compression & pop it in your car, I know you keep going on about intake temps ;):stir: