Another Engine Rebuild at the Zed Shed New Update P4

Keyser

Nice work guys.

It's likely that a cheap aftermarket gasket led to that engine dying but did you guys check to studs where all torqued to spec and cause it to lift? Just wondering because most of the gaskets should be fine for NA.

I was bending a 600mm breaker bar to loosen the head studs if anything I would say over torqued!

I was rather hoping they were loose so I could blame it on that though. The biggest problem is we didn't find a problem so are we just wasting money and time putting in gaskets and bolting it all back together :shrug:

Nice work Chris,

Would it be worth checking how true the head is where the leak occurred, if there is runout, just a couple of thou this may have caused the problem?

Suppose you could always put a thicker gasket in there to lower the compression & pop it in your car, I know you keep going on about intake temps ;):stir:

Yup but with the kit I have (an engineering steel rule :lol: )doubt I would detect it, I could put it in mine but then I'd have to swap the cams and bore it out etc etc :p

Interesting photos...Matt is this going In your car when rebuilt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What on earth makes you think I can actually put that pile of bolts back together?

Nice work Chris,

Would it be worth checking how true the head is where the leak occurred, if there is runout, just a couple of thou this may have caused the problem?

Suppose you could always put a thicker gasket in there to lower the compression & pop it in your car, I know you keep going on about intake temps ;):stir:

Yup but with the kit I have (an engineering steel rule :lol: )doubt I would detect it, I could put it in mine but then I'd have to swap the cams and bore it out etc etc :p

This might seem a daft question, but out of interest, what would be an accurate way to check the block and head.?

Nice work Chris,

This might seem a daft question, but out of interest, what would be an accurate way to check the block and head.?

Old school - machined straightedge and feeler gauges 3 directions and feel for gaps.

New technology - Probably the same as above :lol: but I'm sure I heard somewhere they can do it with a laser - don't even want to know what that costs :scare:

• Like 1

Nice work guys.

It's likely that a cheap aftermarket gasket led to that engine dying but did you guys check to studs where all torqued to spec and cause it to lift? Just wondering because most of the gaskets should be fine for NA.

I was bending a 600mm breaker bar to loosen the head studs if anything I would say over torqued!

I was rather hoping they were loose so I could blame it on that though. The biggest problem is we didn't find a problem so are we just wasting money and time putting in gaskets and bolting it all back together :shrug:

Nice work Chris,

Interesting photos...Matt is this going In your car when rebuilt?

What on earth makes you think I can actually put that pile of bolts back together?

Well if you would have said that before I let you guys loose on the 350z suspension with spanners...lol ;)

I have every confidence :D

if it were me i would be having those heads really lightly skimmed just for peace of mind.. slightly thicker head gasket will take up the difference of a light skim :thumbs:

I did consider that, however you then gain 2 additional expenses - the skim and non standard oversize gaskets now if you add that in all of a sudden the engine will not be a cheap replacement, additionally if you do that and the bugger blows again because the block is slightly out then you have wasted all that money as you will need another set of gaskets and another skim (although by this point you probably won't be able to skim the heads again)

so do the block well yes but then you may as well do the whole lot and I priced up the parts and machine shop labour well over £2000 without my labour so it now becomes cheaper to source a running engine from a breaker - but that's how we got here in the first place :headhurt:

The object here is budget if I put it back together and it blows up we have wasted £100 (not that I want to waste it :scare: ) and our time but we need practice at engine changes on the 350 as we haven't done many :dry:

But if it works it's going to be a cheap and hopefully solid engine as it was just reconditioned.

Update in a few minutes just uploading the pics for your enjoyment :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 2

OK got the new Gaskets in today - Hand delivered to Matt's house by his better half, and hand delivered to me by Matt :thumbs:

So we started on the engine this evening,

To start with we warmed the Zed Shed up :cold:

KODC0087_zps2f1eaf6f.jpg

Cleaned the old gasket off with some cleaner and scotch bright (Well Mrs Keyser did :lol:

KODC0086_zps876b4db3.jpg

Old school tolerance checks on the block - well in spec (assuming my nice new spirit level is actually straight :scare: )

KODC0088_zps3f32cc50.jpg

Same checks on the head - they are spot on - not overly surprising as they were just skimmed

KODC0093_zps03f04998.jpg

Head bolt tolerance check - tolerance states - 0.11 I had 0.09 - 0.10 so just in :)

KODC0090_zps298a564a.jpg

Decks all clean and ready

KODC0089_zps26416aaa.jpg

for nice new Genuine Nissan Gaskets :thumbs:

KODC0094_zps30047294.jpg

KODC0095_zps46bb5fc2.jpg

Some old school tools so I don't damage anything with the air wrench :blush:

KODC0096_zpsc3b00eab.jpg

Then play the Mad head torque routine as laid down in the service manual - O and you need one of these

KODC0097_zps7b973252.jpg

Only got one side done tonight so have a go at some more tomorrow night then Saturday we can play where do all the cogs go with the timing chain :yahoo:

I'll keep ya posted :)

• Like 2

Ahh But I'm willing to bet you will be getting nice new ARP studs for your rebuild will you not?

I think they are just a torque setting in a specific order the standard head Bolts are Torque -in order - release - re torque in order - + 90 degrees in order then +90 degrees in order again - turn around 3 times and touch your nose :lol:

EDIT : Nice Vid my head hurts now :lol:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

Got a nice snap on torque wrench thats digital and also does angles....Lucky enough to get mine at the right price but worth looking out for second hand if you know its history

http://store.snapon.com/TECHANGLE-174-Models-2-Accuracy-Ratcheting-Flex-Head-Torque-Wrench-Electronic-TECHANGLE-153-Flex-Ratchet-12-5-to-250-ft-lbs-1-2-drive-P760213.aspx

Great read, Keyser - i assume that the cylinders are steel (wet) liners? Such a nice looking motor when its stripped down.

Quick question - to get the crank pulley off/on do you use an air tool or what?

Hope you've sorted the problem?

Are you referring to the bolt that holds the pulley or the pulley itself,

To remove the bolt - car in gear handbrake on and loosen, if, as in this case the engine is not in the car an air gun or 2 bolts in the flywheel end of the crank with a big bar to stop it turning as you undo it.

The pulley was easy this time just pulled of by hand but I have had to use a puller on them - they are not usually madly tight just a little rusty and stiff to come off.

Are you referring to the bolt that holds the pulley or the pulley itself,

To remove the bolt - car in gear handbrake on and loosen, if, as in this case the engine is not in the car an air gun or 2 bolts in the flywheel end of the crank with a big bar to stop it turning as you undo it.

The pulley was easy this time just pulled of by hand but I have had to use a puller on them - they are not usually madly tight just a little rusty and stiff to come off.

Yes, sorry the bolt. Its mainly the problem of torquing it up, then +90 deg - last time I removed the starter and jammed a bar into the ring gear. This worked fine but was a bit of a faff - just wondered if there was an easier way (without an air tool)?