Dog's gone to Emergency Vet

Grundy

Not too sure why I'm writing this, but it's late, and not really had a chance to speak to anyone.

Tia - 5 Year Old Shar-Pei, has randomly in the space of an hour contracted a problem called 'Bloating' - Basically fluid is where it shouldn't be, and the Stomach is potentially twisted.

This is a life threatening illness.

Been perfectly fine up until 7PM - 90mins after her dinner.

She Started reaching to be sick, but nothing came out, she then when to the toilette (2) acting like she didn't even know about it.

Then that's when we started to notice her stomach was swelling up, at 1st I thought she was bloated and gassed up.

By about 10/11pm her stomach was as if a football was in there. She wasn't acting her self, was restless and couldn't lay down for more than 30 seconds.

That's when we took her to the emergency vet.

She is now being treated for shock, pumped fluids out of her I believe, blood test and anti biotics. It will be then when we find out if she needs surgery to re-align the stomach.

Even after the surgery there is a 3 day grace period where there is a high chance for it to happen again, or for her to pass away.

Due to no insurance (long story short we didn't have her from birth, were complications) - This bill could potentially come to £3k - But you could never put a price on someone you love.

It's just that horrible feeling when I got home, to not have her running at the door to see me, or be waiting on my bed with all her teddy' s to get the best spot before I struggled to get in :lol:

Again, not too sure why I'm posting this as wasn't looking for answers or anything really, just needed to get it off my chest.

IMG_10971_zpsfe09fdad.jpg

IMG_09381_zps52caf07f.jpg

Similar happened to our German Shepherd. The stomach swelled up to about the size of a football, maybe larger and the dog was very uncomfortable. He was brought to the vet regularly to get pumped and was on tablets for the next year or so until he passed away. We couldn't afford the surgery so that wasn't an option unfortunately.

I'm still not 100% sure what the actual cause of it was as the first sign of something being wrong that we noticed was an irregular heartbeat, then a number of months later this started. :(

I hope you all the best and hope you can get it sorted and you don't have to go through what we did. :)

Hope she gets well soon I felt the same when my shaffy went the vets for her first op at a cost off 1200£ but you can't put a price on her . Then in December had a op again this time insurance covered it thank god. I'm now sleeping in the front room with on a mattress with the dog because she's not aloud to clim stairs or jump up and down ( on the bed ) were she normal sleeps with us.... Fingers crossed for her :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pedigree dogs never are quite as hardy as cross breeds I think.

Top marks for going through with it in spite of the bill. I know many who wouldn't.

I paid out £1400 in vet bills over the years on those little bastard degus!!

Bottom line you've done all you can and its important to try and just live normally instead of worrying about a relapse when shes gets back.

Top marks for going through with it in spite of the bill. I know many who wouldn't.

I paid out £1400 in vet bills over the years on those little bastard degus!!

Bottom line you've done all you can and its important to try and just live normally instead of worrying about a relapse when shes gets back.

Some people get in to stupid debt over vets bills, but then some shouldn't have been allowed pets in the first place...

Sent from the golf club...

Really hope this works out ok for you. From personal experience I'd recommend that anyone with cats, dogs, rabbits etc invests in pet insurance.

+ 1 First thing to do when buying a pet, vet bills can be mental.

Hope your Woofter makes a full recovery mate!

• Like 1

Sorry to hear this.

Just spoke to mum about it, she advised you contact the pdsa or the possibly blue cross for animals. Our neighbours had trouble with their dog and they couldn't afford the operation it needed. the pdsa paid the majority for her and she had to pay the rest as she could afford it.

Some vets also pay for bills in installments so that may be an option

Normally you need to go with a vet that works with the pdsa but they should be able to advise.

Fingers crossed for you.

Can't add much else but fingers crossed for her.

I'm concerned our pup will suffer from this at some point as she eats her food so quickly and in the mornings she won't go for her walk until after her food which can be a factor. Food then exercise I mean.

We've done away with her bowl and use a mix of feeding toys and just throwing her food on the floor in the hope this slows her down. Obviously we use dry food.... Don't think it would work quite as well with wet food, would just look like a dirty protest.

As I said fingers and toes crossed for a very adorable little lady.

Thanks for all the comments guys, appreciate it.

Sorry to hear this.

Just spoke to mum about it, she advised you contact the pdsa or the possibly blue cross for animals. Our neighbours had trouble with their dog and they couldn't afford the operation it needed. the pdsa paid the majority for her and she had to pay the rest as she could afford it.

Some vets also pay for bills in installments so that may be an option

Normally you need to go with a vet that works with the pdsa but they should be able to advise.

Fingers crossed for you.

Didn't know about this, will have to read up a little. When we asked the Vet if we had to pay it all at once, the only option they gave us at the time was a month allowance.

Just like family, don't understand people who say its just a dog or cat, no its not, there part of your family. Hope it all goes well.

So true. If this leads onto tomorrow, and I need to leave work early or need the day off, work would be fine with it, but it;s knowing they don't fully understand and would be like 'why's he taking a day off for a dog...' need a pet to understand.

Can't add much else but fingers crossed for her.

I'm concerned our pup will suffer from this at some point as she eats her food so quickly and in the mornings she won't go for her walk until after her food which can be a factor. Food then exercise I mean.

We've done away with her bowl and use a mix of feeding toys and just throwing her food on the floor in the hope this slows her down. Obviously we use dry food.... Don't think it would work quite as well with wet food, would just look like a dirty protest.

As I said fingers and toes crossed for a very adorable little lady.

The vet said they are stumped by the illness, (not only in our case, but in many of these similar cases) there not sure what caused it. Some reasons she said

- Exercise after a meal (So guess walking her/him straight after a meal is bad)

- Food

-When and What there meals are. (We fed Tia once a day at 6pm, she'd have wet and dry food. Vet said it's better to feed her smaller meals throughout the day)

Again thanks to you all, still waiting to hear from them.

That's pretty true they're not as hardy and the same goes for pedigree cats. My mum had 2 Burmese cats and they must have cost her an absolute fortune in vet bills. Anyway, hope things turn out O.K for you.

Pete

Hope every thing works out well for you , I know exactly how you are feeling mate.

My two dogs are my children to me and they have cost me a fortune over the years as have all my previous dogs but worth every penny in the joy they bring.

What we do is 2 smaller meals a day and only walk before a meal not after. It reduces the risks of twisted gut or bloat in dogs, certain breeds are just prone to it though.

Too much close breeding in pedigrees nowadays which doesn't help .

All the best to you .

Unfortunately it is these types of dogs which seem to be illness prone, we've a lil westie and she's had stomach trouble since birth aka struggles to go for a number 2 of which is everyday. Took her to the vets multiple times and explained its something they wouldn't operate on and gave her a diet plan.

I truly hope she comes out well and kicking mate, that is one beautiful dog, all the best

Just a little update - Again thank you for all your comments and thoughts!

She was treated for shock throughout the early morning of Sunday,

Things got worse and they had to perform the operation.

Had to wait untill 10PM Sunday to find out the news. - She woke up fine, was a bit happier (Growled at the vet, so she seemed back to normal :lol:) I believe they did a Gastric Bypass on her, she had lots of fluids that needed removing. The stomach didn't appear twisted.

The Bill for that was around £2000

We were then told to pick her up 7:30am today, and take her to our vets to be monitored for the next couple of days.

We got to take her home for a hour this morning to cuddle, she just wasn't her self, think she was all drugged up still.

Arrived at our vets, they looked at her and could feed something that was a little harder than normal, and suggested a Ultra Sound and some more blood tests.

12noon today, I got a call to say she needed immediate surgery. She was bleeding internally and there was an issue with her spleen. They gave us the choice of Op'ing or putting her to sleep. Needless to say I chose to operate. We were warned that there was a chance she wouldn't wake up from the Anesthetic due to her having something low in her system.

Pleased to say got a phone call 2:30pm to say the operation was a success, she had a twisted spleen which was removed, the stomach didn't appear to be twisted and looked fine. She is apparently waking up atm and is resting.

The next 48 hours are the crucial hours as to see what state she goes into. So fingers crossed.

We have to go to the vets tonight at 7pm to find out the latest.

The bill for that OP was £1200 :surrender:

So it's off to make some quick rich schemes for me ;)

Good news, incompetent first vet though?

I'd speak to your regular vets and get some advice as £2k for something which was potentially the wrong procedure for her is a little concerning.

Please keep us updated and some pics when she's home and feeling up to having her pic taken.

• Like 1