Cruise Control or Not?

rothers2901

The question is probibly going to be best answered by some one who uses the Z as a daily commuter. I'm planning to do a few more miles this year mostly on the motorway and not at busy times. Is it best to drive with the cruise control on at a set speed or rely on the old right foot?

Edited by rothers2901

I use curise control on the motorway always.

I have a heavy right foot, there have been times when i'm on the motorway put my foot down then look down and i'm over 100mph. So i now use cruise contol which should help me keep hold of my licence. It also save fuel as long as your not constanly having to slow down. Happy days ££££££

Useful for avearge speed cameras too.

I use my Zed daily and although my daily commute doesn't include motorways anymore, it does include a 'fast' open road, with a varying 40 and 50mph speed limit. Because of this, it's a hotspot for mobile speed cameras.

Using cruise control on this stretch of road means I'm not constantly checking the speedo 'just in case'.

But the above could be said for any car with CC and not just a Zed (although the temptation to plant your foot down hear the V6 is probably a lot higher than other cars) :lol:

My cruise control is no longer useable :(

It has something to do with changing the engine slightly so when you drop below the speed dialled in and the puter hits the gas (based on a stock engine) the car leaps up the road goes over the dialled in speed at which point the puter removes all throttle input and the car nose dives to below the speed and the puter hits the gas .....................

The resultant bouncing up the road does however attracted many admiring glances from other road users and invariably a few one finger salutes and the odd "you tosser" type gestures, I have therefore refrained from the use of my cruise control and now use only my right foot to control the throttle :)

This has not however improved my driving :lol:

• Like 5

I use mine on the motorway to keep my speed respectable. Have a heavy right foot so I'd be doing over a ton otherwise. Useful when driving past average speed cameras too :)

I guess on hilly or winding roads it's more economical not to use it though?

Edited by budbongo

Living near the roadworks on the M62 for the last year and a half I have found the cruise control is very useful. I try and turn it on whenever I'm on a motorway although if traffic is heavy it's sometimes easier to not use it.

every car I have drove with it I just turn of after ten mins as it just shows how much other people with out it slow down and speed up for no reson and gets on my nerves but each to there own :blush:

This annoys me SO much. Why can't people just hold a set speed!!!

every car I have drove with it I just turn of after ten mins as it just shows how much other people with out it slow down and speed up for no reson and gets on my nerves but each to there own :blush:

This annoys me SO much. Why can't people just hold a set speed!!!

They have the non GT version without cruise control! :lol:

• Like 1

I only use it on average speed areas, it is usually more economical to not use it

While I fully agree its more economical not to use cruise control, on long journeys its excellent to be able to set it and just sit there at a given speed. But I do agree with others it highlights how shockingly bad others are at speeding up and slowing down constantly!

Living near the roadworks on the M62 for the last year and a half I have found the cruise control is very useful. I try and turn it on whenever I'm on a motorway although if traffic is heavy it's sometimes easier to not use it.

I have grown to hate the M62.

Pretty much have CC on anytime I hit a motorway these days.

I've usually found cruise to be slightly better on fuel. One reason is I'm not one of those people who slows down to 50 on hills lol. Also with thr speed set you can spend more time judging the road so you never need to slow down.