Avoiding speeding tickets

howardl

Cruise control defintley helps on motorways - 6th gear at 70 can easilly become 90 without much effort if you aren't keeping an eye on the speedo.

As for other roads - you take your own chances. Anyone who says they have never broken a limit is a lier, but obviously be sensible with it - 40 past a school is a no no etc.

28.... I had that... breifly lol Settled on 22... mmmm. Also the point is... just for the sake of it. Buying cars likes these is not on your head. Otherwise you'd be living in a caravan with a 'pay meter' TV that you drop coins into.... oooh think of the savings... :lol: You buy it cos' you WANT it :) ... and thats all that really should matter... otherwise you could just well be another person buying a fancy car that knows he haw about it and doesn't use it except for the 'badge appeal' :dry: lol (this is not aimed at you yankeesiter... just answering the question lol).

OK now I have my 350Z and I drive it only remotely quick on the Queens highway what does anyone recommend to avoid the inevitable speeding tickets and points---Road Angel? sat navs? radar detectors? I welcome any comment. Don't say keep to the limits i am desperatly trying to !!!

I'm in quite a privilaged position with respects to speeding on public roads and i can tell you it's not the place to gert over zealous, far too many things going off.

I'm not going to lecture anyone on the subject because we all have done it at some point, me included. Yes the cars these days are so far advanced (ABS,Steering, Traction control) over past cars when the speed limits were originally set but it is a fact that speed is the main contributing factor in nearly all accidents and deaths on the road.

Drive sensibly and within the conditions of the roads at the time.

If you are still hell bent on driving quickly, your local road safety partnership generally post on the internet where they plan to put their mobile speed cameras for that day. It doesnt tell you what times it will be there the statics are painted bright yellow and you should be able to see them if your paying attention and the roads a covered with repeating speed limit signs so that said if you still manage to get caught then it's your own fault.

Sorry but that's not even remotely true. Even ROSPA (at the vanguard of the war on speed) don't claim it's anywhere near that. If we take road deaths, as it's not open to interpretation whether or not someone is dead, then less than a quarter of deaths in 2011 had excessive speed declared as their primary contributing factor. Human error (not paying attention) is still overwhelmingly the largest cause of road deaths, and always has been. Kind of surprised that someone in your position would say something so totally contrary to the facts :wacko:

DB

Edited by DannyBoy

It wont matter what you get electronically mate. I have had the Origin B2 with a radar blocker for years. Thought it made me speed proof, which 4 years ago found out it didnt. Was caught from behind speeding. Doing 43 in a 30, and the copper said I went through a red light, which I didnt. Ended up in court. Sit down for this: 7 points, £1200 fine and my solicitor cost £1400. This was the best lesson I ever had.

Also when people ask how to make the zed faster on a budget (slightly aside from what you asked) they are told to make it brake and handle better......that's where the fun is at.

+1 as the old adage goes - "Make is stop, make it handle, make it go"

The best advice is to think.

Think about your driving approach, think about the speed limit asigned to the road which you're on and adhere to it, think about the conditions of the road and the conditions in which you're driving, think about other road users, how they'll behave (or won't).

That's the best way to avoid speeding related issues and accidents in my view

Edited by Bockaaarck

OK now I have my 350Z and I drive it only remotely quick on the Queens highway what does anyone recommend to avoid the inevitable speeding tickets and points---Road Angel? sat navs? radar detectors? I welcome any comment. Don't say keep to the limits i am desperatly trying to !!!

I'm in quite a privilaged position with respects to speeding on public roads and i can tell you it's not the place to gert over zealous, far too many things going off.

I'm not going to lecture anyone on the subject because we all have done it at some point, me included. Yes the cars these days are so far advanced (ABS,Steering, Traction control) over past cars when the speed limits were originally set but it is a fact that speed is the main contributing factor in nearly all accidents and deaths on the road.

Drive sensibly and within the conditions of the roads at the time.

If you are still hell bent on driving quickly, your local road safety partnership generally post on the internet where they plan to put their mobile speed cameras for that day. It doesnt tell you what times it will be there the statics are painted bright yellow and you should be able to see them if your paying attention and the roads a covered with repeating speed limit signs so that said if you still manage to get caught then it's your own fault.

Sorry but that's not even remotely true. Even ROSPA (at the vanguard of the war on speed) don't claim it's anywhere near that. If we take road deaths, as it's not open to interpretation whether or not someone is dead, then less than a quarter of deaths in 2011 had excessive speed declared as their primary contributing factor. Human error (not paying attention) is still overwhelmingly the largest cause of road deaths, and always has been. Kind of surprised that someone in your position would say something so totally contrary to the facts :wacko:

DB

My mistake should have put ONE of the main contibuting factors. But im glad to see you have contibuted to the topic anyway. :lol:

You should really consider your complete driving "behaviour". This a quite a good place to start, if you are receptive and want to improve your driving awareness you can't fail to learn something:- :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Roadcraft-drivers-handbook-Essential-Handbook/dp/0117021687/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352277063&sr=8-1

+1

Speed matters but you can still drive like muppet within the speed limit. I see a lot more accidents round towns in rush hour than at 0400 in the morning. Tho the 0400 specials are usually much worse.

Ekona

Honorary Z Member

• photo-9564.jpg?_r=0
  • Ex Team Member
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 6,802 posts

Posted Yesterday, 09:45

snapback.pnghowardl, on 05 November 2012 - 21:27, said:

1. If you're only driving it remotely quickly then you'll have no problems sticking to the limits, will you?

2. Speeding tickets are not inevitable, they are all avoidable very easily.

3. If you are struggling to keep to the limits then you're possibly the worst driver I've ever come across.

Ekona

Honorary Z Member

• photo-9564.jpg?_r=0
  • Ex Team Member
  • bullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.pngbullet_black.png
  • 6,801 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 18:07

Lands End to John O'Groats in one day, then tour the Highlands.

Isle of Man, just all of it.

Best driving roads anywhere IMHO, those two.

HHHhhhhmmm. You're right. I probably don't drive properly otherwise I wouldn't get 28mpg.

Edited by yankeesiter

HHHhhhhmmm. You're right. I probably don't drive properly otherwise I wouldn't get 28mpg.

You know, that's one of the things that really annoys me here when people say you're not driving the car properly if you're getting a decent MPG. To me, driving the car properly is nothing to do with how quickly you can get from A to B or how fast you can throw it into corners, it's all about getting from A to B safely, showing some respect for other road users and not colliding with the scenery as several here have already done. Quite frankly people who brag about getting 15mpg must drive like complete idiots IMHO.

Pete

1. If you're only driving it remotely quickly then you'll have no problems sticking to the limits, will you?

2. Speeding tickets are not inevitable, they are all avoidable very easily.

3. If you are struggling to keep to the limits then you're possibly the worst driver I've ever come across.

Lands End to John O'Groats in one day, then tour the Highlands.

Isle of Man, just all of it.

And your point is? You do realise that LEJOG is doable in the one day without speeding, don't you? :bang:

And why do you think I go to the IoM where there are plenty of twisty derestricted roads?