Who should get the garage?

SteveW

Thoughts and opinions please folks.

I recently moved in with the Girlfriend and when we were looking for a place I said I wanted a garage for the car. So we got a place with a single garage. At the time our lass drove a 106 independence so no need for that to be garaged.

However the 106 has now gone to the scrapyard in the sky and she has just bought a brand new 1 Series BMW.

We now can't decide who should get the garage.

Reasons the zed should get it:

Being a performance car it is likely to appeal to be stolen by joy riders.

Also being a performance car it is likely to attract random vandalism.

Reasons the BMW should get it:

The car is worth a lot more than the zed.

BMW and Audi seem to appeal to professional thieves for export from what I've read. Therefore being hidden is a benefit.

Just wondered what others thoughts are?

Cheers

The BM.

Because no one wants to look at it.

The insurance on the zed will be cheaper if outside.

It will keep the underside of the zed dry.

But you need to think about 'where' the zed will be parked, because of little sh1ts.

Logic says it should be the one worth the most cash.

Unless you want to use the garage for something else. Ive a double garage and yet leave my new 123d m-sport in the drive along with the missus 6 month old Nissan Juke.

Also, you may or may not have to factor in what difference it makes to the insurance if you tell them you are keeping the car in the garage rather than on the drive, as it very often increases your premium.

Unless you want to use the garage for something else. Ive a double garage and yet leave my new 123d m-sport in the drive along with the missus 6 month old Nissan Juke.

Also, you may or may not have to factor in what difference it makes to the insurance if you tell them you are keeping the car in the garage rather than on the drive, as it very often increases your premium.

Why would keeping the car in the garage be more i belive this was the other way round ?

Why would keeping the car in the garage be more i belive this was the other way round ?

Please enlighten us!

Some insurance comps put the premium up if it's garaged.

More time for thieves to 'play/nick' with the car unnoticed.

If they can (Ins Comp) screw you they will. :surrender:

That's just insane. Not surprised though!

Thanks for the info.

Some insurance comps put the premium up if it's garaged.

More time for thieves to 'play/nick' with the car unnoticed.

If they can (Ins Comp) screw you they will. :surrender:

+1

I'd base it on the insurance as above

To be honest I was learning towards the Beemer.

In terms of the cheaper quotes for the car being on the drive I think mine also came up cheaper last year when I looked.

Will have to check insurance prices. Just seems to me someone would be more likely to want to steal a 21k car than a 7k car.

Do what we do - both cars on the road/drive (as said above lower insurance) and fill the garage to bursting point with tools, spare wheels, tyres, lawnmowers, bikes, kayaks and other cr@p. Everybody is happy that way :thumbs:

Do what we do - both cars on the road/drive (as said above lower insurance) and fill the garage to bursting point with tools, spare wheels, tyres, lawnmowers, bikes, kayaks and other cr@p. Everybody is happy that way :thumbs:

+1 :lol:

Yep, as ChrisS says, in a garage its out of sight, so thieves can happily spend ages breaking into the car without being seen. On the street, people are more likely to see a thief and so its a lower risk! A lot of people incl. myself have found this when you play with the quotes on the comparison sites.

+1. Ive got 3 motorbikes, 2 push bikes, a project car, a full multigym, workbench, roller tool cabinet, a lawn mower and still room to move about in mine. My old garage was bigger, so I had another car in it as well!

+1 :lol:

+2 :blush:

To be honest I was learning towards the Beemer.

In terms of the cheaper quotes for the car being on the drive I think mine also came up cheaper last year when I looked.

Will have to check insurance prices. Just seems to me someone would be more likely to want to steal a 21k car than a 7k car.

Neither, get a pool table and a bar :lol:

I would put which ever you value most, or get a security camera installed if you can park in front of the garage. Bit of peace of mind for both cars :thumbs:

Also the fact that a lot of insurance claims are from people who damage the car while getting into or out of the garage.

This. As cars have gotten bigger and people generally more stupid, the rate of claims for prangs has gotten a lot higher.

With modern immobilisers trying to steal a car without the keys is neigh on impossible, so really what you should be doing is protecting the house enough that they cant get in to steal the keys ;)