What gear do you use at 30mph?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. What gear do you use at 30mph?

• 4th
    • 3rd
    • 2nd (Feel the noise!)
    • 6th
    • 5th

I was having a play round last night and something crossed my mind thats been playing on it awhile, from an economy POV* what gear is best at 30mph? I spend a fair amount of time urban driving and have been using 5th since I got the car but anicodatly 4th seems to return better results (unscientificly watching the estimated miles go up or down now I fixed my fuel tank issue!)

At 5th is aprox 1,250 RPM so while it is lower RPM's all those little minor adjustments probably use a bit more fuel as the engine labours more, 4th is around 1,750 RPM but but is more available and the engine isnt so close to labouring.

So what do people reckon is best? (pretending the traffic is fairly constant so you arent changing up or down but the usual slightly slower slightly faster sections)

*This is not an economy car obviously, but no harm is saving some fuel to burn on the country roads instead B)

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4th for me unless I want to hear the V6 scream. But then I do like the low down growl of my ARC when in higher gears and low revs.

If I'm cruising via town side dual carriageways I like to pootle at 40 in 6th.

Whatever the autobox picks for me :blush::lol: Think its usually 5th unless you start to accelerate then it drops a cog. In the manual 350 I had, if I was on the flat or slight down hill and not acclerating, I'd be in 5th but only when I new I was really just coasting along. If I knew I'd need some throttle, I'd be in 4th, or drop it into 4th.

In a manual it would probably be third, but 5th is preferable really. 6th works okay too, just don't nail the throttle or you'll labour the engine.

Well this is the heart of the issue, for fuel consumption, lowest revs will always win, however your going to have to labour the engine for a tiny speed up or drop down then up for every minor adjustment, you can certainly coast at 30 in 6th but in terms of fuel consumption im wondering what the best RPM is.

Seems like I am at odds with the majority as I always tend to go along in 3rd at 30 & 4th at 40.

No I am with you, I can't believe anyone would drive at 30mph in 5th or 6th :scare:

I only use 6th gear in the Zed when I get to motorway speeds, it helps have a light flywheel, if you are in too high a gear it lets you know big time :surrender:

30mph is about the point I'd be changing up to 4th if its for a long stretch. I don't think I ever use 6th unless on a dual carriageway/ motorway.

I believe I've got a lightened flywheel though, so that might be a bit different.

4th in most circumstances, 5th if the road is completely empty, flat and straight, 6th Never.

Edit, just thought, some of the hills around here are so steep that even with your foot right off the gas you will exceed 30 in 4th gear, so on those I use 3rd :)

Pete

Remember this is a big torquey engine, you really can drive it like a Diesel and it wont labour like a little 4 pot. Obviously if you are having to use the throttle a lot then 5th/6th isnt the right gear but for long runs where you can anticipate there not being much traffic, it will save you fuel.

Anyway what do I know, the ECU does it for me :blush::lol: