• 2nd (Feel the noise!)
    • 6th
    • 5th

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was always told 10mph/gear. Generally I'll be in 3rd at 30 as I like the noise but if tootling along I'll be in 4th unless accelerating.

a big +1

10mph per gear, why have a car that revs to 6500rpm and never use 80% of it

I was always told 10mph/gear. Generally I'll be in 3rd at 30 as I like the noise but if tootling along I'll be in 4th unless accelerating.

Yep spot on :thumbs: Changing to 6th at 40mph..... really? :scare: whats that like 1,300 revs :surrender:

I am going out for a drive in a minute :drive1

So what would you say the optimum revs are, assuming that you are gently cruising? I've always thought that the lower the better, without labouring the engine obviously? :shrug:

3rd at 30mph on the dot... however if i'm in a 30 zone, i normally do 32mph, in which case 4th :blush:

as for 5th and 6th, 5th comes in about 45mph, and 6th is normally reserved for speeds 60mph and above -i find being in high gears at lower speeds is incredibly unresponsive, so try to cruise between 2k and 3k on the tacho.

To give another side to this, my 911 will go into 6th at 32mph and 7th at 41mph if you leave it in default mode.

I imagine the Porsche gearbox will have much closer ratios than the 350z. :shrug:

The gear ratios are far too long in the 350z. I'm currently deciding whether a sequential gearbox is next on my mod list. It can only handle about 450hp though and my plans are for much more than this.

Yep spot on :thumbs: Changing to 6th at 40mph..... really? :scare: whats that like 1,300 revs :surrender:

So what would you say the optimum revs are, assuming that you are gently cruising? I've always thought that the lower the better, without labouring the engine obviously? :shrug:

Sorry just realised I'm talking about optimum performance. Optimum rpm is the wrong terminology in my opinion. What you should be looking at is the speed versus the least amount of throttle position. The lower the rpm the better but if your givin it throttle to keep it at this then its guzzling juice as the injectors will still be open wide pumping it in.

I imagine the Porsche gearbox will have much closer ratios than the 350z. :shrug:

350Z ratios:

1 3.794

2 2.324

3 1.624

4 1.271

5 1.00

6 0.794

FD 3.538

997 PDK ratios:

1 3.91

2 2.29

3 1.65

4 1.30

5 1.08

6 0.88

7 0.62

FD 3.44

I'm rubbish with ratios when you convert them with the final drive so I have no idea what that means, but I do know that the 911 will hit just over 70 in 2nd gear but the Zed only just makes it past 60. Well, mine used to anyway (revup DE).

I get that a 3.794 ratio is longer than a 3.91, but if anyone would like to explain how FD relates to making them longer or shorter in comparison, I'm all ears. :)

About 1300 yes. I'm talking about tootling along here, not accelerating up to 60+. If I have to accelerate on past 40 to meet the speed limit i'd be changing into 5th about 40 unless i'm ragging it :teeth:

Right I had to go out anyway so after a little drive...

30mph in 3rd around 2.5k :teeth:

30mph in 4th around 1.8k :dry:

30mph in 5th around 1.3k :thumbdown:

40mph in 6th around 1.2k :scare::scare::scare:

I will have to change my previous answer at 30mph I would definitely be in 3rd gear, only changing up to 4th at 40 :thumbs: yes you can drive at lower speeds in higher gears but I can't for the life of me see why you would, the car labours, has zero response and I doubt very much it is more economical as I generally get the same mpg as most others do on here...

Right I had to go out anyway so after a little drive...

30mph in 3rd around 2.5k :teeth:

30mph in 4th around 1.8k :dry:

30mph in 5th around 1.3k :thumbdown:

40mph in 6th around 1.2k :scare::scare::scare:

I will have to change my previous answer at 30mph I would definitely be in 3rd gear, only changing up to 4th at 40 :thumbs: yes you can drive at lower speeds in higher gears but I can't for the life of me see why you would, the car labours, has zero response and I doubt very much it is more economical as I generally get the same mpg as most others do on here...

If it's not more economical and doesn't hurt the engine, at least it makes me feel like i'm saving fuel on my very short commute to work :p

I agree it's no fun, but with minimum throttle I find it easier to keep the speed steady than in a gear lower with more throttle. If i'm in the mood for some fun, 3rd it is, which equals 4th on average :boat:

Of course, what this thread really does is illustrate the benefits of a large capacity engine over a smaller turbocharged unit. The flexibility of a good size lump means there really isn't a wrong gear as such, it just depends on what the user feels comfortable with :thumbs:

the XKR does most of its gear changes at about 2-2.5k and regardless of speed seems to always be at about 2-2.5k rpm :lol:

unless in sports mode then it goes all the way up to 4-5k rpm.

70mph see's it in 5th gear at about just over 2k rpm

30mph sees me probaly in 4th or 5th at just about 1k rpm basically tick over :lol:

the XKR does most of its gear changes at about 2-2.5k and regardless of speed seems to always be at about 2-2.5k rpm :lol:

unless in sports mode then it goes all the way up to 4-5k rpm.

70mph see's it in 5th gear at about just over 2k rpm

30mph sees me probaly in 4th or 5th at just about 1k rpm basically tick over :lol:

Yes but that auto box is designed for old men going to the golf club :wheelchair:

really?

can;t get golf clubs in the back of the jag (not that i ahve any to try with.

.... just trying to think of a car with a purpose built golf club boot?... i'm sure i've seen one.... a car with a sticker in its boot specifically for golfers.... who would have one of them.... oh i remember.... a 350Z :lol::lol::lol:

i can't knock the auto box its been a life saver with my left knee being FUBAR, day to day driving was really starting to struggle with heavy traffic. only thing i would have differently is flappy paddles for fast road driving. as the auto does make you feel a little detatched from the experience of driving.

really?

can;t get golf clubs in the back of the jag (not that i ahve any to try with.

.... just trying to think of a car with a purpose built golf club boot?... i'm sure i've seen one.... a car with a sticker in its boot specifically for golfers.... who would have one of them.... oh i remember.... a 350Z :lol::lol::lol:

i can't knock the auto box its been a life saver with my left knee being FUBAR, day to day driving was really starting to struggle with heavy traffic. only thing i would have differently is flappy paddles for fast road driving. as the auto does make you feel a little detatched from the experience of driving.

I was talking more about your 'average' jaaaaaaaaaag driver than the car itself :p