• 2nd (Feel the noise!)
    • 6th
    • 5th

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 370z 7AT drives similarly to the Jag too. It knows you are pootling so why waste fuel? Unless you are a rude boy cruising to make as much noise as possible :stir:

:blush:

Am I really the only one here who doesn't pootle :shrug:

i own a jag so everywhere is pootling :blush: its the old man in me :lol:

The 370z 7AT drives similarly to the Jag too. It knows you are pootling so why waste fuel? Unless you are a rude boy cruising to make as much noise as possible :stir:

Only when I'm forced too, like driving to work in the centre of Reading. No point flooring it for all of 50ft to slam the brakes on.

Now on the way home down the back roads - thats another matter :drive1

i own a jag so everywhere is pootling :blush: its the old man in me :lol:

Well tell the old man to leave you alone then :scare:

Herbert.JPG

Right I had to go out anyway so after a little drive...

30mph in 3rd around 2.5k :teeth:

30mph in 4th around 1.8k :dry:

30mph in 5th around 1.3k :thumbdown:

40mph in 6th around 1.2k :scare::scare::scare:

I will have to change my previous answer at 30mph I would definitely be in 3rd gear, only changing up to 4th at 40 :thumbs: yes you can drive at lower speeds in higher gears but I can't for the life of me see why you would, the car labours, has zero response and I doubt very much it is more economical as I generally get the same mpg as most others do on here...

In traffic what the eckin peck is the point in being at 4k everywhere?

Imho whatever gear is right for the situation, not the speed.

No, I never pootled either :thumbs:

Just driven through town to tennis and back, and it's the first time I've ever paid any notice to which gear I'm in. In my head when i firstv read this thread earlier this evening I thought 4th, maybe 5th???

Actually it was 3rd, bordering on 4th if a long clear stretch of road.....

Really surprised me :blink:

I have to say that only having had Roxy for a few weeks the biggest thing I have noticed is how much low down grunt the motor has compared to my last car, in most cases I am in 5th and 6th just ticking along without any probs at 30mph, once out of town its another matter, would also say that the low down grunt is more impressive than the top end and find myself thinking that she needs more power now.

I'm not really a pootler and living in the middle of nowhere generally means that I can go at whatever speed suits me and the road conditions as there isn't much traffic on the local roads. I use 3rd or 4th for 30mph as a rule. In fact, I think that I only really use 4th when I am on a 30mph stretch of road, normally I change up from 3rd straight to 5th as 4th is a bit notchy on my gearbox. I am not mechanical in the least and wonder if this could be related to the other clutch issue that I have noticed i.e. clutch pedal staying depressed after lengthy drive? I initially thought that that problem occurred after I'd been driving in a lively manner but I have come to think that it is the length of time rather than how I am driving that affects the clutch.

I'm not really a pootler and living in the middle of nowhere generally means that I can go at whatever speed suits me and the road conditions as there isn't much traffic on the local roads. I use 3rd or 4th for 30mph as a rule. In fact, I think that I only really use 4th when I am on a 30mph stretch of road, normally I change up from 3rd straight to 5th as 4th is a bit notchy on my gearbox. I am not mechanical in the least and wonder if this could be related to the other clutch issue that I have noticed i.e. clutch pedal staying depressed after lengthy drive? I initially thought that that problem occurred after I'd been driving in a lively manner but I have come to think that it is the length of time rather than how I am driving that affects the clutch.

with regards to the pedal staying depressed; sounds like clutch master cylinder or slave cylinder to me.

I think you are absolutely right because that's the advice I've been given by several other forum members. Dealer won't do anything to help though as they haven't witnessed the problem for themselves. I will get the work done by another garage at my own expense but I am a bit short of cash at the moment as I've just spent a large sum of money to get my business off the ground :blush::thumbdown:

I am a bit short of cash at the moment as I've just spent a large sum of money to get my business off the ground :blush::thumbdown:

i have a new business too; if your interested i can help you out.

basically all you have to do is go out on a few dates that i'll arrange for you, wine them and dine them, then at the end of the evening they'll give you some cash, and its a 70/30 split in my favour. if they give you any grief let me know and i'll sort them out.

we can have a business meeting later, you'll know its me as i'm the one in the giant fur coat, lots of bling and the big cane with the huge diamond on the top and the sunglasses.

;)

only kidding,

best of luck with the new business :thumbs:

:headhurt: Erm, thank you for your extremely kind offer but I think I'll stick to garment personalisation if it's all the same to you? I can write your name in rhinestones on the back of your lovely, long fur coat if you like? :lol::lol::lol:

Nope, throttle controller hasnt been off SP7 since I got it, fuel consuption starts with a "1" .......... when its in double figures :teeth:

Its like when people ask me about the mpg, I say "people tell me it will do 30mpg" ;)

Going back very briefly to when I asked about how gear ratios work, I asked a mate who explained that you simply multiply the given gear ratio by the final drive ratio. Using the two examples I gave, and just to show what difference the FD can make on a car, here's a couple of graphs I knocked up:

911350zratio.jpg

Top one is original ratios, bottom one is multiplied by the final drive. Given the Zed has a marginally shallower curve, I'd say that it's probably got a closer 'box than the 911 does. However, you can now see why the 911 feels so much quicker than a 350 (and why the FI Zeds feel bonkers) as you've got a load more power but an almost identical curve. Of course, we're now miles off tangent but I thought it would be interesting to view the comparison. :)

For sh*ts and giggles, here's the chart comparing the two cars above with a host of options that the Cobra kitcar builders have. The T56 is the spec my mate is using on a 427 block, the other specs are the gearings used on the original Cobras, in both close ratio and wide ratio options in two different FDs:

Allgearratios.jpg

:scare::scare::scare: