Looked at new car today shocked at px quote

player2301

Well I bought mine last week, 2005 uk car, zero previous owners, grey with black interior, new tyres, new mot and in lovely condition for £4750 - so I would have thought it was about right for px.

Blimey, I paid £11k for my 05 just eleven months ago!

*crys into empty wallet*

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my 350z just over a month ago now so have a good idea on prices.

04 GT Pack with 50k ish is worth around 8k

04 GT Pack with 50k ish miles (Orange/Silver) 7k

04 GT Pack with 80k miles 6-6.5k.

I think this is the first car i have seen where colour really does effect the price!

So definitely hold out mate!

Good luck :)

Colour does effect it the gingers are less popular, each to their own I guess, whites seem to be the priciest, for comparision I got a 04 red GT with 38K on the clock for 8k in novemeber that was about average for what id looked into (it had below average miles obviously)

Colour does effect it the gingers are less popular, each to their own I guess, whites seem to be the priciest, for comparision I got a 04 red GT with 38K on the clock for 8k in novemeber that was about average for what id looked into (it had below average miles obviously)

Basically what i paid for my blue one start of Feb with 38k on the clock B)

I did this about a year ago...looks so out of date now! It was a profile of all the Zeds on AutoTrader under £10k.

AutoSnapshot.png

When I had a drive in Wills old 350z roadster about 4 months back I enquired with a dealer as to a p/x on mine for a roadster of the same age/mileage and colour and he wanted to give £5.5k for mine and charge me £9.5k for the identical roadster!

I don't know why people put silver last on their list. I love silver..

Its because Silver currently is out of fashion. Over the last few years for example ive noticed the colour trends more than usual. A few years back, Black seemed to be the colour to have.. everyone wanted a black car. Then that changed to Silver. Everyone wanted a Silver car. Then this last 12 months White cars have been the colour everyone wanted.

I remember the Police force used to only ever use white cars, but it got to the stage that noone wanted a white car ever, so they really struggled to sell them on. White cars were associated with the police or reminded people too much of white vans! So the police then started buying black & silver cars and using them instead all stickered up hoping they would be easier to sell.

As others have said, dealer prices are usually laughable at the best. Its because they have to make money. They will nearly always offer you less than you`ll get privately, then they will sell the car for a few grand more than private price to make a nice profit. However... if they are desperate to off-load the car you are hoping to part ex your car for, then you can sometimes get a better deal.

Unfortunately with a car like the zed, not everyone can afford one, so the prices will drop. Its not just zeds, its all high performance big engined cars. Take for example the E46 M3... you couldnt get a ropey high mileage one for less than 10k about 12 months back. Now ive seen them for nearly half that price.

Im dreading selling my zed. I expect the amount of money I will loose on it after just 1 years ownership could infact have easily purchased one of the M3`s i mentioned above.

Yeah i am concerned about when I eventually sell mine - having spent somewhere in the region of £4k-£5k on it since buying it as well (see signature!) - still, I see it as money invested in my wellbeing :thumbs:

Buying prices are very good at the moment, I only bought my Zed 3 weeks ago. Black 04 GT with 67k for £6.5. You can knock £500 off if it's a non GT and in my region, colour isn't affecting the price at all. Ginger, white, black, silver and gunmetal all listed at £7k for 04's with around 60k, private or trade.

Can I just say that valuing cars is quite easy these days.

Unlike years ago you were only pricing cars to SELL against the dealers in your town. These days you comfortably need to do it with a 60 mile radius. For rare and unusual cars its further or even nationally.

The problem we all have parting with a car is that we have an emotional attachment to it, you have loved and cleaned the car every week, and to you it’s worth more than pounds and pence.

To everyone else however, that is to say the buying public, it is they who ultimately reflect what cars will or won’t SELL for.

So, as a simple way to understand what your car is worth, and what it will HOPFULLY sell for (bearing in mind dealers can still get their fingers burnt depending on market shifts)

1/ Log on to Auto trader

2/ Research what similar cars are selling for in the TRADE section. Bear in mind that you may need to choose upwards of a 60 mile radius, but it must me as similar as possible.

3/ Take off a minimum of £1500, but plus any issues the car may have i.e. tyre wear paint damage etc.

4/ This should give you the cars approximate TRUE value.

Now then the £1500. This will be the dealers margin. Please bear in mind that this margin with reduce every 2-4 weeks he/she hasn’t sold the car. If the car researched above is dropping in price so is yours.

In addition the dealer will also have to provide a warranty, reconditioning and pay tax on whatever is left.

This formula also works for the car you are looking to buy, In other words if there are two dealers and one guy is offering you, for example £500 more in part exchange, make sure the car he is selling you isn’t £500 too expensive!

I don’t want this to sound too patronising, but my job ain’t rocket science, but I can understand how shocking this can appear if you don’t do it every day. This in the cold light of day it is a business transaction, so emotions need to be left at the door, either sell or buy, or dont sell or buy. its this gap which is the true cost of motoring, but the choise is yours.

Anyway hope this helps a bit

I don’t want this to sound too patronising, but my job ain’t rocket science, but I can understand how shocking this can appear if you don’t do it every day. This in the cold light of day it is a business transaction, so emotions need to be left at the door, either sell or buy, or dont sell or buy. its this gap which is the true cost of motoring, but the choise is yours.

Your job has a bad reputation which I think some people find hard to let go of as well.

I can't see that a sales man from a dealership or any garage he has no shareholding in would really give much of a toss about the margin being made but never the less has a formula that his boss wants him to stick too.

Then we all get really offended and think its the salesman himself who's trying to fleece you! :lol:

I hate getting a low part ex price but I hate even more the god damn 419 scamming hassel of flogging a car privately.

I always find the language a little odd from dealerships, in that when they value your car they will say 'it is worth..' or 'its value is...' when that cannot be true. If you sell privately you can get more for it. So it isn't actually worth what a dealer tells you, it is what the dealer will pay you, but thats not its value!

I always find the language a little odd from dealerships, in that when they value your car they will say 'it is worth..' or 'its value is...' when that cannot be true. If you sell privately you can get more for it. So it isn't actually worth what a dealer tells you, it is what the dealer will pay you, but thats not its value!

Your right the language is a bit odd, the "True" bit refers to a reasonable SIV (Stand in Value) which is the value before any over allowance. If you sell it privately then happy days a bit more money in the bank. :thumbs:

Been to another garage today and got the grand total of £4,500 he showed me his computer screen and top book price was 5,500 so really he should of been giving me that !!!

Yet again ive left empty handed :thumbdown:

I love it when they get the book out. The book only shows what price the car would make in an auction. They use this to say "look, this is all its worth". When in reality the figures are quite different. How many people would want to buy a zed from an auction? No normal man on the street unless they are a confident mechanic / car buyer. Buying from auction very often means the car has problems and couldnt sell anywhere else. Therefore the prices are obviously a lot lower than you`d expect a decent car would sell for either privately or at the dealer to reflect the higher risk involved. If you have ever looked at the "glasses guide" you`ll be amazed at the sort of rock bottom prices they claim you can buy cars for.

It really all boils down to how likely the dealer thinks the car will sell and what profit they can make. If "the book" is showing around 5000quid for your car, then privately it could be around 6500quid and the dealer may try and sell it for 8000quid. (as a very rough example of the differences in prices). If its a car the dealer doesnt think will sell on his forecourt - maybe its an old banger, or not the type of car he normally deals in - then he`ll stick it straight in the auction and get the rock bottom price for it.

When I sold my last old run about car, the dealer offered me £750 for it against a £16,000 zed. I looked on autotrader / ebay and they were selling for around £2500 in the same condition / mileage as mine, so on ebay it went and I sold it for £2250 i think in the end. Huge difference in price.

Your job has a bad reputation which I think some people find hard to let go of as well.

I can't see that a sales man from a dealership or any garage he has no shareholding in would really give much of a toss about the margin being made but never the less has a formula that his boss wants him to stick too.

Then we all get really offended and think its the salesman himself who's trying to fleece you! :lol:

I hate getting a low part ex price but I hate even more the god damn 419 scamming hassel of flogging a car privately.

Your dead right the process is one thing, the people you have to deal with is another issue entirely!

And you are right the sales guys will not care about the purchased margin, but he will when selling the car one to another customer! it’s a funny old game and very stressful.

Been to another garage today and got the grand total of £4,500 he showed me his computer screen and top book price was 5,500 so really he should of been giving me that !!!

Yet again ive left empty handed :thumbdown:

Would you have taken that? I'd be tempted to offer you that if so! Feel free to PM me.

Just as a foot note:

I cannot think of any other industry that has so much information on buying and selling, and part exchanging another product.

I sometimes wonder if it’s this knowledge that builds the resentment for earning a living from selling cars!

The net profit as a percentage earned is very low.

When you compare this to for example buying a bed or some jewellery and most other retail enterprises, they usually double up from whole sale to retail price. :shrug:

Its business not personal - so my view would be that there isn't such a thing as an unfair offer - it's just an offer. It's not compulsory to take it. You are simply weighing up the advantages and disadvantages and +/-£s of one approach versus another (which include such factors as price, convenience, advantages of other car on offer (where appropriate), reliability of payment, etc, etc).

Its business not personal - so my view would be that there isn't such a thing as an unfair offer - it's just an offer. It's not compulsory to take it. You are simply weighing up the advantages and disadvantages and +/-£s of one approach versus another (which include such factors as price, convenience, advantages of other car on offer (where appropriate), reliability of payment, etc, etc).

Well said, exactly the point! :)

Another point to be stressed here (and I think someone mentioned it earlier) - don't worry about the price you are buying and selling at - purely look at the difference in the middle ie how much do you have to shell out

Not necessarily (un-emotionally) easy to do

If the car you want to buy is 10K and they offer you 5K - you need to find 5K

next garage wants 12K but offering you 7K for yours - you've still gotta find 5K

but do you feel better because you got 2K more for your old car ?????

Its also worth pondering who you buy from, Ive been willing to pay more for a car when Ive felt the guy selling it and the company/buisness seems to care about me beyond my wallet and seem like decent people who if there was a problem wouldnt attempt to deny all knowledge. That in itself I find worth paying for (within reason). The first car I ever bought was bought from a mechanic in a small village in the middle of nowhere who was polite freindly, had sold lots of new drivers their first cars, listed every little blemish talked me though exactly what he was going to do to the car, gave it a full service (new spark plugs, fan belt, brake pads etc) all within the price and was a real standup guy. I had the car 2 years all it ever needed was a new oil bung. By far and away the most reliable car Ive ever owned, happened the car was being sold well below what the dealers were asking (was about 2k cheaper than id found elsewhere) but the main point being that the man taking my money didnt have the attitude of your sterotypical salesman.

Rambling short.. pay a reasonable amount to buy from someone reputable who gives a damn :thumbs:

Dealers are loosing money too on Zeds they have taken as trade ins in recent months due to the fall in resale prices. A nissan dealer in NI had a 350Z advertised in November last for 14,000 and now its sitting in the forecourt at 10250 and still not selling.