Looked at new car today shocked at px quote

player2301

As already said, a Volvo main dealer can't put a high mileage 8 year old Nissan on the forecourt so it'll go straight to auction. Hence he's offered well below trade so you'll either:

1. Be so disgusted you sell privately and save him the effort

2. Go for it out of laziness, in which case he still makes a grand off it at auction

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd agree with a lot of the above, think of it from a dealers point of view, even one that doesn't send it to auction, you have a 8 year old sports car 3.5l v6 in a world that very few people want such a car. It's not going to be an easy sale unfortunatley :(

:boxing::boxing:

You and me too, did the same last Saturday looked at an auto 370z, only 2.5k on te clock, 60 plate what a beastie but had to rule the deal out due the **** poor px offer and that was from a Nissan dealer.

My car 9.5k 2008 twilight 313GT just serviced 13 moths MOT Sat Nav, Rear Park, Overmats including boot and rear vertical tonneau....mint...........12k. :angry:

Not on your life Mr Dastardly Dealer .... Go FRO. :rant::rant:

Think I will stick with her and change me daily driver instead. :headhurt:

I've never px'd a car in my life. If I can get a better price selling it privately then I will.

The only benefit to it I can see is the speed e.g you can roll in and out on the same day.

If you can write a good ad, take some good pictures and price it properly, selling privately can be pretty easy.

The only time I've been tempted to try and px was when I had just bought my UY GT4. The original owner paid £33k for it, I bought it from him 6 weeks later (he had lost his job) for £26k. I was interested in a Z4M and went to the dealership in Solihull, where they offered me £18k for a six week old car :lol:

I vowed to never do that again and have since bought and sold all my cars privately, even made a grand on my E46 M3 in 12 months :)

Not being funny, but £12K as a part ex at a main dealer is good value for your car. It's four years old, after all.

+1 £12k is a great px price imo.

There is a white 313 GT on here being sold for £12k now and still no buyers, so a £12k px from a dealer is a great price.

Not being funny, but £12K as a part ex at a main dealer is good value for your car. It's four years old, after all.

+1 £12k is a great px price imo.

There is a white 313 GT on here being sold for £12k now and still no buyers, so a £12k px from a dealer is a great price.

I don't think that one is a GT version if its the one I'm thinking off but 12K is a good price depending on what he is being charged for the 370

:yahoo:

Glad you found my overmats amusing :clap:

They are like brand new tooooooooooo!!!!!!

Wanta buy em???????

None of us are in the business of giving money away doesn't matter how much or little we have but it's strange how the dealers of other marks will give you a better deal, ay ho will keep looking, the zed going to be hard to beat for condition but onward and upward. :snack:

Can I just say that valuing cars is quite easy these days.

Unlike years ago you were only pricing cars to SELL against the dealers in your town. These days you comfortably need to do it with a 60 mile radius. For rare and unusual cars its further or even nationally.

The problem we all have parting with a car is that we have an emotional attachment to it, you have loved and cleaned the car every week, and to you it’s worth more than pounds and pence.

To everyone else however, that is to say the buying public, it is they who ultimately reflect what cars will or won’t SELL for.

So, as a simple way to understand what your car is worth, and what it will HOPFULLY sell for (bearing in mind dealers can still get their fingers burnt depending on market shifts)

1/ Log on to Auto trader

2/ Research what similar cars are selling for in the TRADE section. Bear in mind that you may need to choose upwards of a 60 mile radius, but it must me as similar as possible.

3/ Take off a minimum of £1500, but plus any issues the car may have i.e. tyre wear paint damage etc.

4/ This should give you the cars approximate TRUE value.

Now then the £1500. This will be the dealers margin. Please bear in mind that this margin with reduce every 2-4 weeks he/she hasn’t sold the car. If the car researched above is dropping in price so is yours.

In addition the dealer will also have to provide a warranty, reconditioning and pay tax on whatever is left.

This formula also works for the car you are looking to buy, In other words if there are two dealers and one guy is offering you, for example £500 more in part exchange, make sure the car he is selling you isn’t £500 too expensive!

I don’t want this to sound too patronising, but my job ain’t rocket science, but I can understand how shocking this can appear if you don’t do it every day. This in the cold light of day it is a business transaction, so emotions need to be left at the door, either sell or buy, or dont sell or buy. its this gap which is the true cost of motoring, but the choise is yours.

Anyway hope this helps a bit

Its not patronising Toby - it will be very helpful to noobs who really don't have a scooby :thumbs:

I know its going off on a tangent but as im selling up soon does someone on here wanna buy the reg plate off me ? ? :clap:

Ive just done a couple of valuations and have recieved a quote of £400 awaiting the other companys to get back to me !

Or does anyone know the best company to contact regarding the sale of the plate

Or shall i put it in the for sale section ?

cheers lads

You can try sell the plate on here or DVLA should be able to buy it off you? Google it and there are plenty of companies that will buy it or sell it for you. I was thinking of selling mine but went on eBay and there are literally thousands unsold. In a recession not as many buyers?

I got nearly £8K trade in for my 05 GT with 60K on the clock last summer from a BMW dealer, which I thought was quite good. But I was buying a 335i which the dealer was very very keen to shift :).

VW offered me some stupid figure (£5K or something) against a new Golf R (he told me they had no incentives to really sell Golf Rs so couldn't really move on the price of the car or the PX value). So I think dealers have quite a lot of flexibility in PX figures, I suspect TT are pretty easy to sell, they know if you don't buy it someone else probably will hence the low valuation :thumbdown:

Interesting comments on this subject that's always good for debate...

My thoughts:

Always give it your best shot at selling privately first,and expect it to take weeks not days.

If you do sell privately then consider also buying privately to save even more.

If this fails try the dealers,but do the research on Autotrader first so your price expectations are realistic.

Find a good example of the car you want,what's the point of a good p/ex for your car against something sub standard.

Be friendly and polite with dealers,but if they are aloof,arrogant or disinterested don't argue,just walk away.

Franchised dealers usually have the best cars to sell,but one look at their glass palace showrooms will tell you they have high overheads so need high profit margins...but don't ignore them,if you are lucky in catching them at the right time you may still get a reasonable deal.

...finally,if you still feel uncomfortable that you're losing too much,just keep the car,time will even out the depreciation on every vehicle

thanks for all the info and help lads...

I have accepted £4755 today as i have fell in love with the car and like you guys advised the car was priced quite a bit lower than average so swings and roundabouts !!!!

Heres some pics :teeth:

IMG_0665.jpg

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0663.jpg

IMG_0666-1.jpg

First time owning a turbo engine !!

My best mate is already trying to talk me into a stage one remap and i think its working lol

When I said I'd give you £5500, I wasn't joking!

Either way though, TT looks quite nice. Agree on the remap as its turbo'd.

I also wish you well with the new car, but getting too emotional and rushing into things rather than selling privately appears

to have cost you money...a lesson to be learned.