"Hey Big Man"

ATTAK Z

That was the greeting I got from a (obviously from his accent) Scottish artic wagon driver today delivering to a building site in Lincolnshire. He seemed like a nice young guy .... long way from home but enjoying life in the slow lane lol ............ I immediately thought of Jay ........ my question is " Is that a normal greeting in Scotland or was he taking picshe ? " ( I'm only 5' 9")

If you get "wee man" then you have lost a few years and if you get "Hen" then you have changed something about yourself.

I heard "Hen" a lot when I lived in Sunderland ..... I love language and dialect !

Around here they call you "Duck" :)

Pete

:lol: my dad calls everyone "my duck".

Unfortunately for me, whilst I love Scotland, the Scottish accent just sends shivers down my spine. One of my biggest clients is Scottish and I have to put up with their abuse every day of the week on the phone. So now when I hear a Scottish accent it immediately puts my back up. :(

The only place in Scotland with a normal nice Scottish accent is west/central, ie Motherwell . We have no twang and no funny words like "ken"(know) puss(face). The closer you get to Glasgow you start to get the proper glasgow ned accent "doon ri toon"(down the town). For anyone who's seen braveheart, the central accent is similar to William wallaces in the movie without the stirlingish twang :lol:

The time you should worry when spoke to by a Scotsman is if you here "haw you ya f*cking bawbag" (hey you! You scrotum) That means we aren't being friendly. :boxing:

I once worked with some guys from Derby and they always greeted people with "alright me ode?" :shrug:

"Darlin" is current round these parts .......... usually female to male ....... "mi duck" is further south i.e. Notts

Around here they call you "Duck" :)

Pete

:lol: my dad calls everyone "my duck".

Unfortunately for me, whilst I love Scotland, the Scottish accent just sends shivers down my spine. One of my biggest clients is Scottish and I have to put up with their abuse every day of the week on the phone. So now when I hear a Scottish accent it immediately puts my back up. :(

Why they giving you abuse? You not doing your job right? Maybe the English accent makes him feel the same and that's why he's giving you abuse? :dance::lol:

Sounds perfectly fine, according to The Big Yin "getee fa ya bassa" isn't too friendly though:D

That was the greeting I got from a (obviously from his accent) Scottish artic wagon driver today delivering to a building site in Lincolnshire. He seemed like a nice young guy .... long way from home but enjoying life in the slow lane lol ............ I immediately thought of Jay ........ my question is " Is that a normal greeting in Scotland or was he taking picshe ? " ( I'm only 5' 9")