New home for a 260Z (updates 30th April P4)

Keyser

With reference to - viewtopic.php?f=66&t=50692

Firstly thanks for all the good wishes :thumbs:

Sorry to anyone that I beat to the prize so to speak. (well sort of :p )

(this has turned into a blog lol)

Borrowed a car transporter trailer from a friend last night took the day off work. Set off to Crewkerne to collect my father in law early this morning he brought with him - a block and tackle, battery, spanners, ratchet straps, electric winch, jump leads and a bright yellow jacket LOL (he's done this before).

On the road again heading for Barnstaple arriving around 12 noon, met Mr and Mrs Z (name withheld for obvious reasons) really nice couple and we were plied with tea and coffee.

Mr Z then produced 3 boxes from his garage containing spare parts and a date ordered history of the car going back to about 1989 including photos of the last restoration which included and engine rebuild with new cam, rings etc and a bare metal re-spray.

Then off down to his lockup about a mile away to meat "Chezie" as Mrs Z calls her. Well she is a lot better than I could have hoped she is a 1978 Chestnut Brown 260Z.

Pushed her out into the rain attached the new battery, she turns over fine and free but no sign of life at the moment, we didn't try anything else (like changing the 6 year old petrol)

as the clutch goes straight to the floor so even if she started we couldn't drive her onto the trailer and the weather was :boat:.

Winched her onto the trailer with the block and tackle (thanks pops) back to Mr & Mrs Z's place to load up the spares sign the V5 another cuppa and back on the road.

The weather was getting worse and we had a few drivers that really don't deserve licences the worst was the nutter that pulled a U turn about 30 yards in front of us (he was on coming on a 3 lane road) as I approached him at about 45MPH in torrential rain with 1.5 tons of car and trailer behind me :scare::bangin: -wasn't sure we were going to stop!

Long slow drive home arriving at about 7pm so she is still sitting on the trailer and will have to wait until the morning to be unloaded.

I will try and get her started tomorrow and take some decent pics if the weather is a little better, but I know you lot :worthless:

So a couple of teasers to keep you going.

1.jpg

2.jpg

Updates as they happen........

Keyser

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would had snapped her up however logistics for me was tough as my license is restricted for towing as are the people I could have called on for a 1200 mile trip. I have the heavy duty tow bar, access to the trailer and the pick up to pull it all!

Well done for giving a car a new home. :thumbs:

I got a garage load of bits for one of those although from a 240Z most should fit including engine, 2 gearboxes, doors, bonnets and interiors tons of parts let me know if something may be missing I might have it. :thumbs:

You love to buy money pits :p

You thinks this is a money pit???

You should see my house !!!!!!

O and I didn't buy it I rescued her :dummy:

edit

Sorry Album deleted to make space for CAR PIC's so this post no longer made sense.

More pics of the car please :teeth:

+1, sod the kitchen!

:lol: give me a chance!

OK had a few problems with photo bucket so had to do some re-organising

Will post up the pics after I have finished sorting it out and got them uploaded. :thumbs:

i popped round today to have a look and to be fair its not half bad. ;) ...your all be glad to know after alittle bit of tinkering Chris ,his wife Kim and myself finally brought the old girl back to life. :yahoo::yahoo:

congrats mate and i hope to be part of this on going restoration/rebuild :teeth:

SHE LIVES!!!!

Or

How to start a Zed that's been in a garage for 6 years -

(Ok update would have been sooner but Photobucket had a funny five on me)

Buster arrived just as we got back from dropping the trailer back to its owner which gave us (myself, Buster, my good lady wife Kim and even my eldest daughter) the extra push to go out in the rain and see if she would start.

Temporary shelter erected (look familiar Ian?)

Quick investigation showed no spark, the distributor cap was badly corroded as were some of the plug leads cleaned them all up put a fresh gallon of super in the tank and after some very knowledgeable wiggling of wires :dry: she sprang into life.

She ticks over very sweetly and with a custom made stainless exhaust has a quite pleasant sound, the only problem is she will not rev cleanly you have to tease the throttle open. Changed the plugs etc (well my daughter did :thumbs: ) No improvement - I think I have tracked the problem to the vacuum advance retard which is not advancing in fact it's not doing anything so will need some new bits. :surrender:

Clutch master cylinder was full of some sludge so I stripped it all the way down and cleaned it, it now works (after a fashion) but will need replacing.

This does however mean she drives and is moveable so that's a big plus. The brakes will need some serious attention before she sees a road but after 6 years that's to be expected.

The all important photos as requested (not a kitchen in sight :lol: )

First the car -

Car1.jpg

Car2.jpg

Car3.jpg

Car4.jpg

Car5.jpg

Car6.jpg

Car7.jpg

The worst of the rust -

BB1.jpg

BB2.jpg

BB3.jpg

BB4.jpg

BB5.jpg

BB6.jpg

BB7.jpg

BB8.jpg

BB9.jpg

BB10.jpg

BB11.jpg

BB12.jpg

BB13.jpg

BB14.jpg

BB15.jpg

BB16.jpg

Daughter changing the plugs -

KaSparks.jpg

Offending Dizzy and the carbs -

Dizzy1.jpg

Dizzy.jpg

Carbs1.jpg

Carbs2.jpg

Interior -

Int1.jpg

Int2.jpg

OK Over to you guys now for some input -

What shall we do with her? We really can't decide which way to go! Assuming the rust is not to bad underneath, Buster think it will be OK the last owner did say he thought it was went fairly "deep" in the floor pan behind the driver's seat won't know for sure until she is stripped and that won't happen until I get my garage built but we will put her in for MOT soon and see what she fails on.

You should also take into account it's not mine anymore - the wife likes it.

Options -

1. Just a reasonable stock restore.

2. Track toy for Kim (my wife).

3. Rally sport restore and enter some classic car events.

4. Open to any suggestions at this point ideas please.

P.S

Buster - welcome anytime mate :thumbs:

Ace -don't suppose you have a clutch master and/or slave cylinder? Also brake servo may need replacing.

Captain - no chance mate ;)

Keyser