Suzanne the LS3 6.2 V8! Caution very long build thread....

Wasso

B) thats a big old box.

I look forward to seeing the "moving it to the Zed Shed" post :stir:

Aha you see we have that all planned......

1. Drive to the ZedShed and eat doughnuts

2. Have a cup of coffee

3. Drive to Bob's and drop my engine on his driveway

4. Put in the V8

5. Drive back to the ZedShed a little quicker than the VQ and eat more doughnuts

Can't be that hard :shrug:

:surrender: !!

• Like 5

B) thats a big old box.

I look forward to seeing the "moving it to the Zed Shed" post :stir:

Aha you see we have that all planned......

1. Drive to the ZedShed and eat doughnuts

2. Have a cup of coffee

3. Drive to Bob's and drop my engine on his driveway

4. Put in the V8

5. Drive back to the ZedShed a little quicker than the VQ and eat more doughnuts

Can't be that hard :shrug:

:surrender: !!

If that does not work i can see a few scaffold poles being used to trundle it up the road "Stone Henge" style :lol:

Couple of old skateboards would also work :stir:

:lol:

• Like 1

Oh man this is rather exciting! I wanna be there, I want a little viewing booth I can sip a cuppa from and watch,

We put one in the Zed Shed the other day - it's a bit small prolly only fit 1 but you can have Dibs :thumbs:

I'm only 5'7" I'll fit no problem, I can make a good cup of tea too. Not so good with coffee though, it's a strange substance I don't drink myself, I handle it like dangerous chemicals because i have no idea how much "too much" is.

I'm only 5'7" I'll fit no problem, I can make a good cup of tea too. Not so good with coffee though, it's a strange substance I don't drink myself, I handle it like dangerous chemicals because i have no idea how much "too much" is.

How can you mess up making coffee :lol: It's easier than Tea!

How can you mess up making coffee :lol: It's easier than Tea!

Not true, coffee is made using witchcraft ! :lol:

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A small update, not V8 related but a gift arrived today.

04F92F4C-14D8-4BE5-A82C-CB4B0588C3EF_zpshjrswtmy.jpg

This will form part of my audio upgrade that'll happen over the coming few weeks.

Parts sourced

Dynamat

Front and Rear Speakers

Amp purchased but might change to an Audison AV 5.1k

Sub purchased

The speakers and amp were purchased from Octet quite some time ago, but as I want to do something a bit cool with my iPad Mini Retina, I've had to wait a while for parts and solutions.

I'll no longer have a head unit but running the ipad as my full audio source, including a FULL DIGITAL out source. Hence the Audison Bit One.

Keep your eyes peeled for further install updates :)

• Like 6

A small update, not V8 related but a gift arrived today.

04F92F4C-14D8-4BE5-A82C-CB4B0588C3EF_zpshjrswtmy.jpg

This will form part of my audio upgrade that'll happen over the coming few weeks.

Parts sourced

Dynamat

Front and Rear Speakers

Amp purchased but might change to an Audison AV 5.1k

Sub purchased

The speakers and amp were purchased from Octet quite some time ago, but as I want to do something a bit cool with my iPad Mini Retina, I've had to wait a while for parts and solutions.

I'll no longer have a head unit but running the ipad as my full audio source, including a FULL DIGITAL out source. Hence the Audison Bit One.

Keep your eyes peeled for further install updates :)

Looks good mate, look forward to hearing both the engine & the stereo :bose:

Sent from the golf club...

• 3 weeks later...

Engine, Gearbox, Prop and Diff are all being replaced.

The LS3 comes with the t56 but the Sikky kit (USA) marrys everyhting up to be fitted to a Zed. Not cheap but does the trick.

Thanks BTW :thumbs:

• 1 month later...

So, it was about time to set sail and get on with the audio upgrade.

In the pipeline for stage one is the basics, dynamat and audio and get rid of that awful BOSE which on comparison is the biggest pile of shite I've heard since moving forward. We take for granted their system is great, but it's far from that. I could get better sound from an iPod docking station.

Anyway, here's the info.

All bits purchased from Octet when he stripped his 350z. The entire install took 2 full days, which to be fair could have been shorter, but the feeding of wires from the doors was a complete nightmare. Although we got round it nicely.

So first stop was to make sure I could get the car in the garage, especially as we were expecting intermittent rain. Can we get the doors open, including all my other junk that I've been storing:

882346EF-B4D6-4A5F-823D-9D9042CB2B4C_zpsum2nzfxy.jpg

We sure can!!

390AAA60-58BB-4A9A-90B1-28A3DDAE4218_zpsft5ryadg.jpg

C298E30A-AB7C-463A-B6C3-A0E8E122CE4D_zps20lpxtnc.jpg

So we (mate) set about stripping the car of it's plastics, seats, and dropping plastics which would be needed for the location of wiring etc. We had to drop the section under the steering column so that we could remove my engine start button which is near my gear surround, so that was a bit of a ball ache.

F3E7C8CA-A118-45F9-8AFE-3D315F42793D_zpsumz11dqk.jpg

7DEB0BE7-492F-436C-9082-BF1066DFF604_zpsurby2gfn.jpg[

9985ACB6-CF42-40AE-A316-D84F81A29BA4_zpsn7ruk4vf.jpg[

688D7E89-15C9-4301-90C1-B9E116C1ADCD_zps0xuatwcs.jpg

We then set about installing the speaker spacer rings for the front, screwed and bonded to make sure that we have a nice airtight seal.

130B7511-CDC8-4494-A7C3-9AA9BC0B5F16_zpsty3ti9io.jpg

E57E9740-0072-4CCD-9A8E-FFFCE0E504B7_zpsihbwqedu.jpg

Then we applied the dynamat around the speaker and 30% of the door, including the inside of the door to increase sound deadening.

2A0F7B13-44BD-48CE-96DD-36C896F49F06_zpsppbkfcn7.jpg

Test fit of the speaker and ring for the other side.

CB9B5BE7-0434-46CA-B981-472ED12BA8E9_zpseuidy3pm.jpg

Wiring complete for the front with some dynamat holding back the wires to keep things tidy.

6C837B36-255D-40D2-835E-860381461DE1_zps7ucsnct2.jpg

We then set about taking everything out the back (oem BOSE crap) ready for dynamat and speakers, crossovers and amp.

100267A1-5DC0-4847-8173-56F3DBC51B2B_zpsnufz114j.jpg

Luckily from when I used to run NOS I've got a great new super sized cubby for my use.

DSCF2172.jpg

A040A226-9542-415B-904B-94271F58C49C_zps0ymk22vm.jpg

Rear speakers receiving a heavy dose of dynamat around and inside the speaker enclosure.

0004D927-1D20-4119-ADD7-9DB34BCB0BA0_zpse0brdj1g.jpg

Onto the bespoke shelf that will sit in my cubby behind the passenger seat, which will in the meantime house the amp and crossovers. The plan is to go a lot further with this once I go full digital with taking out the crossovers, installing the Audison Bit One and ditching this single 4 channel amp which isn't supposed to run 5 channels and go for a full on Audison 5.1k 5 channel amp - with full Digital capabilities. But that's stage two.

3DBF8C3B-6AFA-44ED-9424-7000F0BBD8CB_zpsdfmfd7aa.jpg

A1CA0CA3-3F03-4ACE-A53A-825AD5801E22_zps3wzcucfq.jpg

ECE47214-F8A2-4DA1-9126-2661881BE32C_zpshxuksvhf.jpg

Now onto the final stages, which includes a full layering of Dynamat to the boot and rear shelf area.

1356AD55-F210-4DA3-9246-83F21A83D0DC_zpsa3dr5okz.jpg

And tadah - we are done!!!!

E15D4DF9-BDA8-4C21-A41E-1E8691175800_zpsejwjxete.jpg

Well, we weren't completely done, because whilst testing the system we found that one of the Morel Elate front's was shot to pieces and the voice coil was rattling like a an old man with dentures.

So a quick flick on the internet and I've found just one Morel Elate for sale on the web as a single unit, delivered price including the speaker was £69!!! :yahoo: and considering these as a component set cost around £8-900 I was over the moon for a result of £69.

I was well chuffed considering!!

4E7F6CF5-C601-4B8E-B764-2BCF85E40F85_zps2brgxtbo.jpg

So that's stage one finished. Next stage is to modify the dash to install the iPad mini.

Parts already sourced:

Audion Bit One

Pure i20

12v to 7v Stepdown converter

90 Degree lightning to 30pin converter

I'm seriously considering the Audison 5.1k just so that I can relieve this 4 channel amp running 5 speakers. Don't get me wrong this amp packs a fine punch and the quality is great, but to fully compliment the digital route the Audison amp is going to be needed.

Enjoy…… :)

I wish my professional installer had done as much dynamatting as you have. If I ever get a second motor and can keep the Zed off the road for a while, I'll be copying some of your work. Nice job. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Nice one Ian though I think you won't listen to anything apart from the V8 once in :)

I did think that, and to be honest a Zed is such a bloody noisy car anyway it's kind off OTT, but Ian is a proper audio enthusiast so I will let him off :lol:

Just need to get that big old block in and maybe get a full interior re trim and it will be the dogs danglies ;)

• Like 1

Thanks chaps, you never want to take a car apart twice, as the saying goes do it nice or do it twice ;)

Saved a huge amount on car audio installation as I'm a dab hand with the audio from when I first got into car cars and sound. Back in the day I used to run 4 12" subs with an earthquake amp. Back them 1200 watts rms was a big thing.

I didn't do the floor pan only because it's thick enough metal but all other bits had a good dose of dynamat.

I'm really excited to go FULL DA, already got my optical cables.

Talking of car audio installers, here's the daft setting they put the amp as in Adrian's car. Remember this is driving a full range of sub, mids and tweets, they failed to set the filtering on the amp and probably why the voice coil wash shagged on one of the elates.

Spot the difference of before and after!!

1AA4E564-C92F-4308-9B0C-506306983964_zpspldjkx7g.jpg

251800BF-0933-4DC4-92C1-BD70310F12DC_zpsjun0rcra.jpg

I need a Bit Tune setup done on the audio hence I've not moved the crossover points yet.

Should be about 3 weeks and I can start the dash :teeth:

Oh and the V8 will have two exhaust functions:

Valve open windows open sound system off,

Valve closed, windows closed and sound system ON!!

I've learnt a loud exhaust isn't always pleasurable :blush:

Edited by Wasso
  • Like 1