She's not black!.....She's anthracite Pearl

rtbiscuit

Finally got round to giving the new girl her first proper clean, one of the reasons i have posted up on here as it might help show others what a difference a machine polisher can make. and how much a good clean can improve the look of a car.

When i got the car i must admit the paint work was looking very sorry for its self; and looked to have suffered many years of neglect and the frequent use of drive through car washes had meant that the paint looked like it had been attacked with a wire wool.

beforeclean1.jpg

beforeclean2.jpg

beforeclean3.jpg

This of course meant that from a distance and when dirty it made the car look quiet dull. now when i first saw her on the web i thought the car was black, but when we got her home she looked a little grey; and i think i even refered to the colour as a sort of dark shark skin colour. and you can see how dirty she was.

Beforeclean4.jpg

Beforeclean5.jpg

So first step was to give her a good rinse with snow foam, admittedly i didn't feel like it mattered to much as this was the first proper clean, but i decided not to add to the problem and do it right the first time.

Csnowfoam.jpg

Next was to give her a good rinse off then i attacked her with my wool mit and some Zymol shampoo (had rum out of megs gold class and halfrauds have stopped selling megs stuff)

Cwash1.jpg

Cwash2.jpg

Cwash3.jpg

you can see how dirty the water was as you can't even see the grit guard at the bottom

Ddirtywater.jpg

after the wash i dried her off with a waffle weave cloth, and it did show up damage to the paint that i didn't know was there as it was hidden under the dirt, its not easy to see in the photos, but there are a few deep scratches, and scuffs.

Epaintdamage1.jpg

Epaintdamage2.jpg

EPaintdamage3.jpg

Epaintdamage4.jpg

Epaintdamage5.jpg

Epaintdamage6.jpg

To get the car ready for a decent polish i clayed it first, using my megs clay bar and dodo juice QD lube, word of advice is do it in the shade or when the heat of the day is gone, i use a whole bottle as it was evaporating so quickly. and you can see how much grime was coming off. that was one lower panel. the upper panels were fine, but the lower half of the car was nasty. another reason why not to use car washes.

Fclaybardirty.jpg

GClay1.jpg

next i got on to the machine polisher using a megs polish pad and megs ultimate compound. the machine has done a good job, but it hasn't removed everything, some of the damage is just too deep. future cleans and polishes might reduse it some more but i'm happy so far.

Hpolish1.jpg

just as a comparison i did half the bonnet so that you can see how much the machine polisher has improved the shine of the car.

Ipolishcomparison1.jpg

Ipolishcomparison2.jpg

to finish it all off i have then cleaned the paint with lime and prime lite, then glazed it with PB black hole glaze (not sure if i used it right as it didn't fill as much as i'd hoped) and then lastly i topped it off with a layer of DoDo purple haze. i was going to do a layer of red mist this morning, but i couldn't be arsed and felt it did a good job as is.

you can see from the photos, how much the colour has changed, in some angles the car looks almost bronze, in others grey, and other angles it looks black. the colour is amazing and you can actually see how much metallic jag used, and the colours they put in. and they really pop when they are clean. i was so impressed with the colour i actually went and did some research and found out that the paint colour is called anthracite pearl, and its stunning.

Jfinish9.jpg

Jfinish1.jpg

Jfinish10.jpg

jFinish11.jpg

Jfinish2.jpg

Jfinish3.jpg

Jfinish4.jpg

Jfinish5.jpg

Jfinish6.jpg

jFinish7.jpg

Jfinish8.jpg

I worked so hard in the heat yesterday that when i got in i nearly threw up. total clean time was 6 hours, washing and claying took 2 hours, i then stopped through the heat of the day, and then did 4 hours, partly in the garage and then out side to finish off. time well spent i think, and hopfully my next clean will be a lot easier.

hope you lot like it. i know its not a zed, but i thought the method and results would be of interest. :)

Nice car, nice work. I remember admiring jaguar paint in a showroom a few yrs back, they have some nice colours with lots of flake thru the paint. Looks great under spotlights or in the sun. U can even see the potential in the before pics :lol:

Love the wheels as well

anyone know where i can buy a wippet from?

I want a whippet! They're well cool B)

Dude - excellent job - its surprising how a good clean like that can roll the years off a car...................now get some autosol on those tailpipes! ;)

yep ............ and a flat 'at

got a flat cap already, i am the grandson of a yorkshire farmer after all ;)

as a matter of interest I now know why the old films show guys driving open cars with a peaked hat on ..... just a couple of miles with the hood down makes you realise how difficult it is to see properly when the sun is shining

What else you using on the car Rich?

Not a bad job for starters! ;):teeth::teeth:

agreed: needs more work, but i'll have to go off and research a bit more as i'm stumped at the moment of what to do, i might actually have to see a pro to get ti rotary polished.

as for the tips, i don't think there is anything to actually polish :blush: but new tips are going to be welded on. as i'm building my own exhaust soon. :ninja:

What else you using on the car Rich?

Not a bad job for starters! ;):teeth::teeth:

agreed: needs more work, but i'll have to go off and research a bit more as i'm stumped at the moment of what to do, i might actually have to see a pro to get ti rotary polished.

as for the tips, i don't think there is anything to actually polish :blush: but new tips are going to be welded on. as i'm building my own exhaust soon. :ninja:

To be honest I think you'll need to do it a few times to clear them all off - looking 100 times better already though. Poorboys will work better after a few machine polishes because the scratches won't be as deep.

yep ............ and a flat 'at

got a flat cap already, i am the grandson of a yorkshire farmer after all ;)

as a matter of interest I now know why the old films show guys driving open cars with a peaked hat on ..... just a couple of miles with the hood down makes you realise how difficult it is to see properly when the sun is shining

i always wore a baseball cap when i had a convertible as it A- stops your head from burning (when you have little hair) and B - keeps the sun out of your eyes

i always wore a baseball cap when i had a convertible as it A- stops your head from burning (when you have little hair) and B - keeps the sun out of your eyes

:lol::lol::lol: A baseball cap :lol::lol::lol: That'll look the part in his DB9! :lol::lol:;)

:lol::lol::lol: A baseball cap :lol::lol::lol: That'll look the part in his DB9! :lol::lol:;)

B)6334932v1_480x480_Front.jpg

to finish it all off i have then cleaned the paint with lime and prime lite, then glazed it with PB black hole glaze (not sure if i used it right as it didn't fill as much as i'd hoped).

The boy hath already done - surprised you weren't blown away by it though Rich - Black hole is amazing stuff.

to finish it all off i have then cleaned the paint with lime and prime lite, then glazed it with PB black hole glaze (not sure if i used it right as it didn't fill as much as i'd hoped).

The boy hath already done - surprised you weren't blown away by it though Rich - Black hole is amazing stuff.

i could still see swirls in the paint, which made me think i was using it wrong, had the DA set to about 2 and wokred it in to the paint, left it to haze, then buffed off, but it didn't seem to do much :shrug: don't know if i should have worked worked it in more or what :shrug: got plenty of time to play with it. i'll have another go next clean.

i could still see swirls in the paint, which made me think i was using it wrong, had the DA set to about 2 and wokred it in to the paint, left it to haze, then buffed off, but it didn't seem to do much :shrug: don't know if i should have worked worked it in more or what :shrug: got plenty of time to play with it. i'll have another go next clean.

Blackhole is like britemax #4 isnt it? If so its just fillers so you will still see the swirls but just less.