Help me keep my 350Z dream!

Hi everyone, my first post! This seems like a forum populated by helpful, knowledgeable people so maybe you can help me out.

I finally made the decision to get myself a 350Z after being without RWD for what seems like forever and have viewed and driven quite a few in the South East over the last three weeks. I am now reconsidering my decision; can it really be this hard to find a good one?

I’ve found the test drive to be brilliant in every Z I’ve tried, more than matching my expectations however each one has had paint issues and most a tatty interior to go with it. I have an approximate budget of £15k and for this I was expecting to get an ’06 model or newer GT Pack coupe (preferably with factory sat nav) in Azure or possibly Night Blue with a mileage below 40k.

The newest car I’ve seen was a Night Blue ’09 58 plate with 18.5k on the clock for £17.5k and even that had loads of stone chips on the bonnet and really dull, scratched paintwork compared to the front bumper which had been resprayed. The door handles inside and out plus gear stick and other bits were really messed up. Along with small dints on some cars this all seems fairly typical of every one I’ve seen and even those that have had paintwork tided up have overspray all over the place. Most of my previous experience has been with German cars and I wouldn’t expect this of a car so young, one dealer suggested I stick with German if this bothers me.

I’m now so down about it all I’m wondering if I should forget the whole idea and go German after all, the main problem with this is I just love what the 350Z is all about and you can’t get it in German. I’m not keen on saloons or convertibles so my options now seem to be:

1. Look at other colours although I’m a bit bored of silver, grey and black cars. Not so keen on orange and red either!

2. Keep looking and a good one will turn up (will it though?).

3. Reduce my budget to around £10k, get an older model and not fuss so much about the bodywork.

4. Settle for a common coupe like a Z4, 3 Series or 1 Series and pretend the likes of the 350Z don’t exist.

5. Wait and save a bit more and get a Cayman.

6. Wait and save even longer and get a 911 (997).

I’m also wondering if I do eventually find a really nice Z will it look rough like all the others after 2-3 years being used everyday in all conditions? My current MINI is 9 years old and it’s in better condition than every 350Z I’ve seen, and I stopped fussing over it quite a few years ago. I only want the one car so a 350Z would have to handle everything that comes its way although I typically only do 6k miles a year.

I don’t want to miss the joys of 350Z ownership, please help!

Welcome!!!

Simple ! If you want a zed then buy a zed. All cars squire stonechips. These are easily fixable and cheap. There is loads of great zed for sale on here by guys who have bought 370z's or moved on. Look in the for sale section. Most cars on here are well looked after and easily there history is generally on here. Don't buy german, they're not what they used to be. unless you can afford a porker but even that will cost you money! My zed has been faultless and I've loved every minute of it. When I wake up and go out to it on a dull summers day it still makes me smile like a child on Christmas day. It's the only car I have bought that I've never wanted to sell.

DO NOT GIVE UP

Loads of us have been through this and it literally feels like the whole worlds car market is populated by utter kack!

My advice - spread your net a bit further and if you end up finding one miles away see if a local forum member can give it a once over for you before travelling up.

Also be patient - 3-6 months looking is not unheard of........your not buying a Focus remember - they're a rare little swine to get hold of!

:welcome:

I bought mine from a place about an hour drive away from me and I got such good service that I still travel back to them to get my services done.

It's all good saying that you could save and get a 977 porker but you have to think realistically about the upkeep of it, servicing etc and breakdowns. I could afford alot of cars but I certainly couldn't afford to run most of them.

It took me 4 months to find my car I travelled from London to Hull to view it then back again to pick it I have a german car also and for the smile factor and performance it's the Zed every time. Keep looking your car is out there :thumbs:

Can't really say anything that hasn't already been said. Definitely look across the country and get a member to check it out with you. I did exactly the same for a newbie and went to with him when he went to buy his. Always helps rocking up with someone in their Zed when buying one. Keep on looking and you will find the car, especially if its one off here. :thumbs:

key points with nissan and most jap cars the paint is as thin as a gnats testicle and soft as puppy poo. but the mechanicals are pretty reliable.

chips can be repaired and tired paint work can be revitalised and brought back to life.

gear knobs can be replaced for new shiney ones

options:

- buy an older one use the money saved to make it mint, with new parts and a trip to envy valeting

- buy older and get it wrapped, it will give the exterior a brand new look and protect the car from chips etc.

- buy older and respray it.

- buy newer and deal with the fact that to some extent they will have stone chips and you'll need to put a bit of work in to get them to look good.

- don't buy one.

Welcome to the forum. Keep hunting, like all good things, it's worth waiting for.

The Night Blue you mentioned is a 2007 only colour, 2008 will probably have been a late registration. Azure was 2002 (Jap) - 2006 colour.

- buy an older one use the money saved to make it mint, with new parts and a trip to envy valeting

It's absolutely amazing what a good detail can do for a car. Can make one that looks quite sad, to almost new. If the previous owner has used the brillo pad that we joke about. :headhurt:

Welcome!!!

Don't give up, you've already convinced yourself what a good drive the Zed is, please don't sacrifice this for a "shiny" German that you will not enjoy as much. Zeds are rare, you said a s much yourself, therefore it follows that it may take a bit longer to find a good one but you will fins one. I found my 54 Azure GT in July, 32k FSH and I love it. So much of what Neil says is true, the way I feel at the moment I'll only sell it to move up to a 370 :D

Others have talked about a good detailling, take a look at Envy Valetings' efforts on here, outstanding. On top of that a bonnet respray shouldn't cost you a lot more than £250.00 and there are guys on here who will point you in the right direction dependant upon where you live. And as you you've already gathered, this lot are probably the most decent helpful bunch I've ever met on ANY forum and it all adds to the enjoyment.

That's my twopenny worth, hope it helps :):thumbs:

Welcome!!!

Simple ! If you want a zed then buy a zed. All cars squire stonechips. These are easily fixable and cheap. There is loads of great zed for sale on here by guys who have bought 370z's or moved on. Look in the for sale section. Most cars on here are well looked after and easily there history is generally on here. Don't buy german, they're not what they used to be. unless you can afford a porker but even that will cost you money! My zed has been faultless and I've loved every minute of it. When I wake up and go out to it on a dull summers day it still makes me smile like a child on Christmas day. It's the only car I have bought that I've never wanted to sell.

Well said Graham, totally agree.

The wait will be worth it in the end I promise you, then the fun begins :teeth: it's not just the car but the social side too, get yourself to some meets when you get the car and there is no looking back.

I used to love my old previous cars but it's nothing compared to the zed. I'm already planning road trips this year, signing up to meets with the club, meeting up with new mates, and smiling like an idiot whenever I see, drive or hear the car. Prime example i will be driving home from work when i think, umm never been down that road. 1 hour later i get home after a slight detour and a big smile on my face, its just a car you want to WANT to drive.And don't get me started on how much time and oddly pleasure goes in to cleaning the roadster. Wish I'd bought mine years ago.

Just keep looking and when you find the one you will know it and you will love it.

I travelled quite some way to get mine. I went for an older car that was a bit cheaper (roadster bought at beginning of the winter - so extra discount) but it was clear that it had been looked after and was supplied by an independent dealer with a very good reputation. The paintwork had some stone chips but they had been very tastefully dealt with, enough so that I find I am not drawn to them, if you see what I mean. There were one or two interior marks but there a good products and clever techniques out there to deal with most of that.

Having said that I saw some later cars that were really tatty. The worst one was at a Nissan Dealer - it wouldn't start, the roof didn't work, etc, etc. It just looked very tired.

Decent ones are out there, you just have to keep looking. As much as like Porsches, I still feel that there is something special about the 350Z - it has more emotional content.

Welcome!

I was lucky with mine, buying the first one I saw. Good ones are out there so take a bit to look around. I spent over a month looking at adverts before I sae the one for mine. As soon as I did I knew it was the one. The previous owner was a enthusiast and was a really nice guy which gave me the confidence to go for the car without seeing it. Something I wouldn't recommend. But we did have an agreement that if it wasn't as described I'd get my deposit back and walk away. Luckily that didn't happen.

Mines a Gunmetal 03 GT. Has one chip on the front bumper and one incredibly faint car park dint. Other that than it's perfect. So I think it's testament to there being some decent cars out there a lot newer than you're after. I was actually looking for a newer and more expensive example, but this one was to good to pass up. So I've got the car I wanted and a few extra grand in the bank. The age doesn't bother me.

Good luck mate, hang in there. You know it'll be worth it! :teeth:

Have a look on autoquake, I just bought my zed from there and there was a similar one slightly more expensive. My 57plate GT was 13.5k with only 33k on her and one owner, a few tiny chips but aside from that immaculate.