Bit of bad news.

350zStephen

I was told at the start of the week that my dad has cancer at the age of 56. They have found 6 secondary tumors and blood clots in his longs, and also found cancer in his liver. He has been tired for around a month now, and went to the doctors and A&E twice. The first doctor said he had nothing wrong with him, and sent him home the first weekend with terrible pains in his side.

Second weekend in hospital, the doctor diagnosed him with Pluracy. The following day, my father was in much discomfort and the doctor mocked him infront of two medical students by calling him a "woosy" and women go through worse in childbirth.

They were ready to let him go again, until he had spoke to another doctor from a different hospital, that recommended he went for a CT scan as a precautionary measure incase of blood clots in his lungs. And that is when they noticed his illness.

I went up to the hospital with my Mother on the Monday, and thats when he told us. It was the worst news I have had in my short 22 years on this planet. We have been visiting twice a day to see him, and it looks like he has gave up.

On Friday, they removed liquid from his lungs, then sent him home. Now that he is now home, he is on various medication and is self injecting blood thinners for the clots.

He is now home, and is a little more comfortable, but still in a great deal of pain. My dad, and the whole family are in pieces. I have never seen fear like this in my fathers eyes before, nor have I seen him cry before. His eyes well up as soon as he talks about anything related to his illness, and the future for us and our family.

Sorry for blabbing on, this feels like the only place I can share my feelings, as I need to stay strong for my Mum and Dad.

I struggle to get to sleep with everything racing about in my head, and have had about 20 hours sleep in a whole week.

I am going to take the zed up to the dealers tomorrow, and I am going to take whatever they offer me for it, and buy my dads 09 Corsa 1.4 diesel off of him, so I can take him about for treatment.

It's when you are told bad news like this, your whole view of life has been put into a different perspective. There's me going out every weekend, fancy restraunt's, always out on the bevvy, buying loads designer clothes, £2000 watches, and my dad has had nothing all his life.

The look on his face when he got home will be an image that will be burned in my memory for the rest of my life. And the delight when we bought him a Samsung Galaxy tab was priceless.

I am sorry for all the blabbing on, and sorry if some of this does not make sense, I can't think straight just now.

I wont be active on here for a while, but I definately feel better after writing this out.

If anyone wants a cheap UK Zed, give me a PM and we can sort something out.

Stephen.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really sorry to hear this stephen. My mum has battled cancer twice and its awful seeing your loved ones ill and there is nothing that you can do to help apart from comfort them. I will keep your dad in my prayers...... stay strong buddy and as neil says if you need anything.... all you have to do is ask.

Take care mate.

terrible news mate. My dad has had heart problems for the last 2 years and now been told that he may also have prostate cancer. I can relate the the absolute horror of seeing such fear in the eys of a man who has been the strong dependable male figure in your life - the worst thing I have ever seen before and I doubt i will see anything as bad for the rest of my life.

No words will actually make you feel any better but all i can say is try to be strong for your family but don't bottle it all up for them, it can be Just as beneficial for them if you show how upset and scared you are. You can all be there for each other - doesn't have to be you been the strong one all the time.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Well, what can I/we all say apart from this is terrible terrible news. We all wish your dad well and just hope that things improve for him.

Its just terrible how these things come along.

Best wishes to you and your family. Keep strong for him mate, life really is too short and yes it really does out everything into perspective.

Wishing your dad and your family all the loving support possible and I am sure this will be the same for all on this forum although I dont want too speak for them.

This is sad news and painful to hear of the failings of our NHS. if they can't diagnose people they've got no chance of curing! It's great that you've managed to get the answers needed. I do truly hope there's light at the end of the tunnel for all of your family. Be strong mate, we will all be thinking of you on the forum and wishing for good news.

Stephen,

Sorry to hear about your terrible news.

My own Dad is now in a home suffering from advanced Alzheimers and I am sorry to hear about the incidents at the Hospital, I had only good experiences myself when I was diagnosed with Cancer, so I know a little about how you and your Dad feels...

Don't feel guilty for affording yourself luxuries that's in the past now just put all your efforts into spending time with your Dad, sounds like you already have started with that though.

Dave

Very sorry to hear this Stephen! I can't imagine how you must feel. You and your family are in my thoughts - from the very little I know its important that you keep positive as hard as it may seem.

You know I am a stones throw away so if there is anything I can do drop me a line.

Craig

I just don't know what to say - no words will really help the hurt you must be going through but hats off to your courage and determination to make sure your Dad's suffering is mitigated as best as you can do and with your strength and that of your family it will help you all through such a terrible time.

I'm so sorry to hear your sad news.

I went through this a few years ago with my grandad, he was diagnosed with cancer when he was in his late 50's, he went through chemo and was in remission, he went for a ct scan and they found a tumor on his brain.

I really feel for you and although its easy to say stay strong, its so much harder to do.

Take care,

Jenni x

Really sorry to hear the news. It's terrible when things like this happen and you are absolutely right it puts all things into perspective and makes you realise what is really important in this life. Family and friends, nothing else really matters in comparison.

Don't batter yourself about the past, it's a natural thing we all do under these circumstances, just focus on the now and your dad. My thoughts are with you at this difficult time.

Will.

Hey mate,

I really feel for u, I myself am battling cancer at the mo. But tell him to keep strong and don't let it beat him.

Its a massive help to him that u are all there for him. There will be dark times but stay strong and positive.

Mate I wish u all the luck in the world. If u wanna talk to someone just PM me your number. Shame your so far away.

Mark

I know words from a complete stranger may not mean a lot but we're thinking of you and wishing and hoping for the best.

Strangers are sometimes the best people to talk to. When I was in a French hospital just before my MRI scan I was talking to a French man that could speak English. He asked what the problem was and I explained the situation. He was fantastic. As I left him he said that he would pray for me every night. ( I'm not religious at all). But that coming from a complete stranger really touched me.

Gosh..i am really sorry to hear this. :cry: My thoughts and prayers are with you, your dad and your family. Hope there will be light at the end of the tunnel. Do you happen to know if your dad will be getting further treatment in the form of chemotherapy? I assume they must have done a biopsy/sent off pleural fluid cytology to find out where the primary cancer is? :shrug:

PM me if u want to..it has been a while since i did any general medicine. But i might be able to offer u my personal opinion.

Awfully sorry to hear that mate wish I knew wot to say...

Stay strong for ur family there's nothing more important than family especially ur parents u don't get to choose them

And report that numpty in the hospital he shouldn't be teaching students