How many members dont drive Zeds or any Nissan

GranTurismoEra

Sold my 350 in March 2017 - I absolutely loved it and it was a real downer, had it longer than I expected but life's too short not to switch cars every now and again. I'd be tempted to pick up another one in future, if the right unicorn low miler in the right colour HR coupe came up. Always have an eye out for a 370z Mk2 Nismo too...

Our cars like for like on a twisty b road, from marker A to marker B would we be able to stay with Sabine? No, non of us would, ergo the limiting factor in most cases is the driver. You, reading this on a b road or technical track would not live with tiff, plato, turkington, stig, Chris Harris at all meaning apart from a drag race with launch control and an auto box most performance cars out there are plenty capable of excitement driven properly. 

10 hours ago, SuperStu said:

Sold my 350 in March 2017 - I absolutely loved it and it was a real downer, had it longer than I expected but life's too short not to switch cars every now and again. I'd be tempted to pick up another one in future, if the right unicorn low miler in the right colour HR coupe came up. Always have an eye out for a 370z Mk2 Nismo too...

The oldest ones will eventually drop and flatline around 14-16k for a long while, by then I think the appeal would probably have died a lot more. I'm sure there will still be a small demand for people not wanting the new OPF and Comfortable ride. Simply because that equals boring and safe. I reckon in 4 - 5 years time 2015/2016 Mark 2 will be worth around that price. I cant see 350Z DE going below £3-5K depending on demand. I think HR will hold their value above 5k as well. With oldest 370Z 8K and up.

I dont think there will be a new Zed within that time unless the new CEO wants to prove a point. Hes on probation and need to help them recover from the slump through new models and electrification. Worst case scenario facelift or engine swap like the M2 (N55-S55) for the 370Z(VQ37 - VR30). 

13 hours ago, davey_83 said:

Our cars like for like on a twisty b road, from marker A to marker B would we be able to stay with Sabine? No, non of us would, ergo the limiting factor in most cases is the driver. You, reading this on a b road or technical track would not live with tiff, plato, turkington, stig, Chris Harris at all meaning apart from a drag race with launch control and an auto box most performance cars out there are plenty capable of excitement driven properly. 

This isn't about how quickly other people drive though, its about your own limitations and cars you drive. I can drive my VX round the twistys at a much faster rate and with more fun than the 350z because it is much better at it. So in terms of 'what you go to after the zed' as per the thread title if you like the twistys and want to take them faster with more enjoyment thats where I would put my money, low weight two seater type car. If you want more refinement and better interiors then head over to the German marques so on and so forth.

Edited by coldel
  • Like 1

These days anything modern can keep with with other modern stuff on the fun roads, that’s been proven time and time again now I think. I’d rather have something slow, fun and rewarding that I can push rather than something silly fast that you’re always holding back on as it’s too dangerous to push that hard. 

• Like 2

As a few on here are finding out, as I have, the Mustang is a fantastic GT, better than either of my 370’s in that respect, would also be as capable on the B roads as the 350/370.

Its definitely not suited to a track without a sizeable investment, whereas a 350/370 with a little tinkering is quite well suited for track work.  These days, what with the state of our road infrastructure, congestion (much more amplified in most of England) and generally poor driving skills of most road users, there’s not a lot of room for either.

Given an Alpine Pass or continental motorways, the Mustang comes into its own, the 370 certainly, just fails to fully tick that box because of the harsh ride and levels of road noise.  Anyhoos, that’s what I mostly use my car for now.

The 370, for me was more a ‘round the doors’ type fun ride.

3 hours ago, rabbitstew said:

As a side note, I think the fact so many ex zed owners remain on this forum and are still active posters says a lot about this forum! :thumbs:

True story. 

We’re all petrolheads, it just so happens Z owners have exceptional taste!

7 hours ago, Ekona said:

These days anything modern can keep with with other modern stuff on the fun roads, that’s been proven time and time again now I think. I’d rather have something slow, fun and rewarding that I can push rather than something silly fast that you’re always holding back on as it’s too dangerous to push that hard. 

Did you get a free pipe and slippers with your last car purchase Dan... ;)

• Haha 2

Just like some others I sold my Zed for a good reason rather than actually wanting to part with it at the time, ...was buying my first house with the Mrs so it had to go for something more practical. 

I ended up buying an FN2 Honda Civic Type R which for me still had some poke in it but being a hatchback with fold down rear seats was much more capable than the Zed at handling all the stuff I bought for the house from Ikea, trips back & forth to the dump, the move etc etc. 

As soon as I could though I got something a little quicker again, an Audi S3 which I quickly got bored of being a 4WD yawn fest everywhere I drove it so craving something RWD bought my current car a BMW M135i. :thumbs:

The BMW imho is such a great driving car.

I did buy the auto model which some might say detracts from being a real drivers car but I think that's rubbish, ...the auto is the faster car, has ridiculously quick gear changes when pushing on and you can use the 8 speed box in so many ways. One example I love is that you can use the gear lever just like a sequential gearbox lever.  

12 hours ago, GMballistic said:

The BMW imho is such a great driving car.

I did buy the auto model which some might say detracts from being a real drivers car but I think that's rubbish, ...the auto is the faster car, has ridiculously quick gear changes when pushing on and you can use the 8 speed box in so many ways. One example I love is that you can use the gear lever just like a sequential gearbox lever.  

The ZF8 auto is a great gearbox and I had it in a 640d. I really like an auto in heavy stop/start traffic and they work well in a daily I reckon. On a spirited drive though I always miss the extra interaction of a third pedal and a stick. 

18 hours ago, rabbitstew said:

As a side note, I think the fact so many ex zed owners remain on this forum and are still active posters says a lot about this forum! :thumbs:

Totally agree. I have stepped out of Zs as is well documented on here by my new project. I am committed to keeping my REO status for the South East for the forum. Its a great place with some great members some of which I have become personal friends with. We should all be very proud of what we have created here.:band:

• Like 1

On 19/02/2020 at 16:10, rabbitstew said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

On 18/02/2020 at 12:41, GranTurismoEra said:

Some may say that the extra X factor is no big deal. A Diesel should never be classed as a sports or performance car. Not even when Audi thought to bring out an R8 V10 TDI based on their Race Car.

Dont get me wrong 440 ft Lbs of Torque and 300 BHP 325D are great stats in my neighbours car...He wants to race....I said lets hit the track ill throw on some MPS4S. Conversation died instantly....

The diesel toxins are contributing a lot more dangers than petrol. Someone actually thought the black soot coming out the back of a diesel estate was actually cleaner than petrol :lol:

Diesel power....I stay well back I dont want to get the soot and toxins on my white paint..but yeah I guess he smoked me too..:lol:

I agree so much with this statement!

I think what separates the Zed from comparable cars on paper, for me, is the driving experience. Same with any car, maybe the same reason why I'd buy a Mazda 3 over an Astra for a daily (own neither - got a 13 yr old Volvo :innocent:). If I wanted a sub 4 second 0-60mph time then I'd get an A45 AMG on finance that I'd probably never pay off :thumbdown:

I've only had mine for four months so I hope to be here for a while, it's certainly a great entry into RWD, great sounding or dare I say faster cars.

• Like 2

On 18/02/2020 at 11:58, GranTurismoEra said:

Last resort going German when I'm like 50 maybe. Have you tried Lexus? The only Japanese Luxury brand for me.

I kinda liked the look of the RC coupes but they are woefully slow and underpowered and I can't afford and RCF...and tbh wouldn't buy one anyway as there not very good from what I hear lol.  The original plan was to buy a 4.2 V8 XKR (2008 year or there abouts) and was geared up to do so, but ended up moving, got a garage and I def want to use it.  Despite my love for GT coupes, practicality, better running costs and ultimately better performance have made me look at a TTS from around 2016-2017.  I could buy an S3 or along those lines but I am not into hot hatches, there just not special enough inside.  I don't mind looking like I'm on my way to my next hair appointment if the thing feels and looks special inside...which it does (and goes like hell). 

I've driven both a normal 2.0 TT quattro and the 306hp TTS, as bad as it is to say it they are very good.  They don't have the character of the 350Z and I miss that and the sound so bad, but having tested a normal 227hp TT Quattro, I'm pretty sure it'd stay...if not beat a 350Z no problem...at least until very high speeds.  TTS is silly fast, but also remarkably easy in doing so and when I spend most of my time going to work its the better option.  This will be later on in the year though. 

I can see the appeal of the TT. But it feels like a lot of money for a computerised ride. I did consider the TTS at one point but thought nah. I needed more room, TT are very common around here along with all the aforementioned Germans. So to me they appeal a lot less when so many people have them and drive them terribly. I mean the young women around here really put there foot down cutting across lanes. Makes me take a dim view on these cars :lol:

TBH the Audi TT aside from the stereotype look like decent cars. It was funny having one guy in a TTS really looking at the Nismo and speeding off. Great cars id be interested in the TTRS but I think they are still 40k plus. Seeing one in the flesh hard to differentiate it from the Base TT aside from the bodykit and some arts and crafts badges on the back :lol:. Thats my issue with the Germans.

I heard the TTRS does 3.7 seconds and a with a map up to 3.2 which is similar to the new Porsche 911 Carrera. The Carrera has 44 more HP though

Audi want to discontinue the TT line I read somewhere. With those stats better come with 500BHP plus lol

Edited by GranTurismoEra

36 minutes ago, GranTurismoEra said:

Seeing one in the flesh hard to differentiate it from the Base TT aside from the bodykit and some arts and crafts badges on the back :lol:. Thats my issue with the Germans.

For some, that's also the appeal. There's a lot to be said for not standing out from the crowds always. For me personally, I see the TT as an absolutely fantastic every day car that does everything so very well, but maybe it's not as good as that special weekend car. Well, unless it's the RS of course.

That's pretty much how I view my current MX5, too. It sits just behind the 911 as the best all-rounder that I've ever owned, but it's never going to give you that extra little bit that makes you smile as you start it up every day. Certainly not in stock form at least, but that doesn't mean I don't love it and thoroughly enjoy extracting every last bit of performance from it on a fun drive.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ekona said:

For some, that's also the appeal. There's a lot to be said for not standing out from the crowds always. For me personally, I see the TT as an absolutely fantastic every day car that does everything so very well, but maybe it's not as good as that special weekend car. Well, unless it's the RS of course.

That's pretty much how I view my current MX5, too. It sits just behind the 911 as the best all-rounder that I've ever owned, but it's never going to give you that extra little bit that makes you smile as you start it up every day. Certainly not in stock form at least, but that doesn't mean I don't love it and thoroughly enjoy extracting every last bit of performance from it on a fun drive.

Good point, is this the MX5 NC? Any modifications?

Yup, and it's bone stock B) toyed with the idea of changing all the suspension out for adjustable stuff, or getting the BBR 200bhp NA kit, but honestly it would just change the character too much and make it less usable on a daily basis. I like the fact it's very forgiving and not that quick in a straight line, makes you work harder for it and rewards accurate driving.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ekona said:

I agree with you Dan in terms of the specialness (is that a word? lol) of a car, the TT or a TTS doesn't match the theatre of the Z, I would tell people simply getting in it to go to work was an occasion.  Full of cheap plastics but the cascading dash and low down position made you feel like you were in something special (and then my Scorpion/Cobra set up kicked in!).  

I'm trying to find a sporty coupe that gives me the same sort of feeling even if I do need to think what else make its.  The TTS doesn't sound that good and I really don't like the farting gear changes but I could live with it.  The special comes from the low down, hemmed in feeling, it really is so different to a S3, Golf R etc so you will feel (pardon the expression as I know most will use the RS for it) like your in a mini supercar.  Were all big kids at the end of the day you buy with your heart, I used to see the Z with its longish bonnet, rear wheel drive and big engine (for most peoples budgets anyway) as a really poor persons 599 lol 

The TTS is remarkably small compared to most stuff these days too, so fits easily in most spaces/garages.  Already been on the titty forums for a while doing what I did on here long ago, finding everything I can about them.. Main concern is the seat trims that seem to fall apart....hmm.  I did look at Mk2 RS but then when the MK3 TTS looks better and goes just as fast I'd rather have the new one.

On a note to your other comment, I have never..driven an MX5, which I think I need to rectify at some point lol. I've sat in some and thought... this is tiny lol.

Edited by AMT

Is that kit inc exhaust still £2,195? 200 HP in 1200KG must go really well.  I wonder what ND would be like if it got the full treatment like this BBR kit is offering. Well

"BBR’s ‘Super 200’ upgrade addresses this characteristic, significantly boosting peak power by 45 bhp to a mighty 205 bhp at 6950 rpm, allied to an impressive 179 lb.ft at 4950 rpm (a gain of 26 lb.ft). Crucially, where the stock engine is reluctant to attain higher revs, the BBR Super 200 equipped motor excels above 5500 rpm, offering intense, exhilarating performance and response all the way to the 7150 rpm limiter.

Initial performance testing indicates that (when fitted with the optional performance exhaust components) the 0-60 mph time is reduced from 7.3 seconds to a scorching 5.65, meaning that whatever the challenge the BBR Super 200 equipped Mazda MX-5 can really punch above its weight."

Not bad at all. Thats 350Z DE territory. 

£2800 is better than £5000 and its N/A and you can put the roof down! 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, AMT said:

I've driven both a normal 2.0 TT quattro and the 306hp TTS, as bad as it is to say it they are very good.  They don't have the character of the 350Z and I miss that and the sound so bad, but having tested a normal 227hp TT Quattro, I'm pretty sure it'd stay...if not beat a 350Z no problem...at least until very high speeds.  TTS is silly fast, but also remarkably easy in doing so and when I spend most of my time going to work its the better option.  This will be later on in the year though. 

I ran a mk2 TTS and a E92 M3 together for a while and I actually thought that the TT was the much better daily driver. I keep looking at the mk3 TTS because as an all round car I'm a really big fan, and the performance and interior is another step up from the mk2. 

image-19_zps8aa09566.jpg.a141b207e59162e4e9076d1312f09a37.jpg

• Like 1