What car next? Porsche? Mustang? Other?

marzman

For me the issue with the F-Type is Land Rover Jaguar.... the aftersales is truly shocking!!! Bought a new Range Rover a few years ago and they were just terrible!!! Not to mention the amount of issues we had.

I also know someone that had a complete electronics failure on a top of the range F-Type, it lost brakes, steering, everything!!! Luckily he was going slowly at the time....

Besides, Id much rather have an Aston!!

Edited by grahamc
  • Like 1

But that is purely dealer dependant imho. Two friends of mine, brothers, have both recently bought Porsches, one a Cayenne, one a Macan. The guy with the Macan had numerous issues with paint finish and managed to get his money back, the guy with the Cayenne is now entering the legal faze after Porsche not rectifying a seat that keeps breaking and ongoing issues with the infotainment system, both different dealers, although the only reason I believe the guy with the Macan was in a better position is had just bought a new GT4 last year and his name down for a GT3.

For me the issue with the F-Type is Land Rover Jaguar.... the aftersales is truly shocking!!! Bought a new Range Rover a few years ago and they were just terrible!!! Not to mention the amount of issues we had.

I also know someone that had a complete electronics failure on a top of the range F-Type, it lost brakes, steering, everything!!! Luckily he was going slowly at the time....

I agree somewhat we bought a brand new Freelander back in 99 , the car was dire, the worst I ever had , in the first 1100 miles the brake pedal fell off - no brakes, the fuel gauge stopped working , the boot filled with water, the brake lights failed amongst other things , over the next 3 years it didn't get any better , I was glad to get shot of it and vowed I would never buy another

I could also add horror stories about Nissan, Mercedes VW and Audi based on previous experience but how long do you hold a grudge, dealerships change hands , brands alter , I used to find Skoda excellent , I've bought 4 of them but there arent as good as they used to be

But I have never had the attention I got when buying a 4 year old used car from Jaguar , they really went the extra mile and the customer service so far has been excellent, the buying experience has been the best I ever had

How many dealers do this for a used car ? Never had this on a new one not even paying £40k for a new Mercedes , they couldnt have cared less didnt even put any fuel in it

20161007_102102_zpsikfkbdbm.jpg

• Like 2

Well, when I was facing a similar dilemma last year I ended up with a 997.1 Turbo. I use it as my daily, its left on my drive regardless of the weather and I have racked up 10k miles in 9 months. I used it all winter. So certainly no garage queen. Maybe I am mad, but for me it ticked all the boxes as well as being a very practical car. I can get the 2 kids in the back without any problem, can get 2 weeks of groceries/shopping in the trunk, its returning 26mpg on my daily commute and is nippy enough :lol::scare: to be fun.

I didnt bother with any survey or porsche warranty. I just made sure I bought it from a very well respected indi who knew their stuff. So far, only problem I have had was a couple of engine sensors going faulty. Sensors were £12 each, but you virtually had to drop the engine to fit them, so labour cost £200. Still, I didnt think that was excessive especially as they gave the car a full valet at the same time.

The only faults with the 997.1 turbo is I found the stock suspension terrible. It might be that I came from a 1 series M-Sport which had very firm suspension, but I found the stock mode on the 997.1 to be far to bouncy and the sport mode was ridiculously hard. However, I solved the problem with an aftermarket suspension control module which totally transformed the car. Now the modes are perfect. Normal is ideal for sporty driving and sport is now totally usable on dodgy UK backroads whilst being firmer. The aging sat nav in the 997.1`s is the main thing people notice and it does look ancient compared to new stuff. I fitted a bluetooth module and just use my phone for everything instead. Sav nav on my phone is miles better than any car one, I stream my music over and all the audio comes out of the porsche system. So I really only use the oem system as an audio amp. Its a bose system, pretty bassy but doesnt sound too bad.

Other than that I have found myself browsing tuning company catalogs recently......... must resist..... wahahahahaa!

• Like 2

If you want a sports car you cant touch a 981 Cayman S upwards IMO, sublime car.

I do really like the Cayman... in my mind though i feel like i want a keeper, something thats barely going to depreciate. I look at 987's now for £10k and cant help thinking the 981's will be there in the next 6 or 7 years or so.

Also... i think the Cayman needs an additional rear spoiler, and if i finance a 35k Cayman (depending on how i do it) i may not be able to modify it...

I dont know, Ive been atching the prices since they came out and bar the 20% VAT they havent dipped much, certainly not the S's. Seeing as the 781 is a 4 pot and the 981 was the first Cayman not capped off so as not to steal 911 thunder I think they will fare a lot better.

And anyway, anything that isnt a classic already will lose some money, F Types and Mustangs more than most. Cant speak for modding it but Id just not tell them and hope no-one noticed :lol:

• Like 1

I agree somewhat we bought a brand new Freelander back in 99 , the car was dire, the worst I ever had , in the first 1100 miles the brake pedal fell off - no brakes, the fuel gauge stopped working , the boot filled with water, the brake lights failed amongst other things , over the next 3 years it didn't get any better , I was glad to get shot of it and vowed I would never buy another

I could also add horror stories about Nissan, Mercedes VW and Audi based on previous experience but how long do you hold a grudge, dealerships change hands , brands alter , I used to find Skoda excellent , I've bought 4 of them but there arent as good as they used to be

But I have never had the attention I got when buying a 4 year old used car from Jaguar , they really went the extra mile and the customer service so far has been excellent, the buying experience has been the best I ever had

How many dealers do this for a used car ? Never had this on a new one not even paying £40k for a new Mercedes , they couldnt have cared less didnt even put any fuel in it

20161007_102102_zpsikfkbdbm.jpg

I agree completely, but the big issue I have with it all was not the dealer (they were shocking in their own right), however the LRJ handled was terrible!!! They told us to buy another car........ a new Land Rover/Range Rover and then they might help.

Heres the an interesting website ;)

http://www.landroverhell.com/

Edited by grahamc

To the op, get a modern Mustang, warranty (3 years/60,000miles), highly modable, cheap to service, it'll drop less in depreciation (though this is unimportant, as it's a car, not an investment), than a new Porsche, GTR or F Type (new cost minus depreciation after 3 years), bags of fun, a TRUE GT, 4 usable seats.

And, no matter what anyone alludes to, it's built in Flat Rock Michigan, the home of the Mustang and a true Mustang.

I know, the perception is I'm biased, however, all of the above is true and fact.

For around £800- 1000, you can go from 416ish to 500bhp+ with proportional rise in torque, I reckon it's about £5-7k for a 350/370 with forced induction

Don't believe me?, ask any owner :lol:

If you are leaning toward a Porsche, they are quite common, I understand the engineering and research that's gone before, however, most of this is due to the engine being over the rear wheels. Their quality is second to none, in terms of build/materials, but at twice the cost, more expensive to service ( my first service which included a diff and gear oil change was £160 odd) and probably ten times as common on the road, your exclusivity is guaranteed.

I was in London twice over the last 2-3weeks (family bereavement), 2 x 800mile round trips, lots of travel in and out to Charing X hospital from Hanwell, I even seen a 370 Nismo!, I never saw a Mustang, despite the ramblings of some on here that see them all the time! Saw a gazillion Porsches, 3 or 4 GTR's, quite a few Maserati's, but not one Mustang.

Honestly, you'll be doing yourself a disservice, by not investigating the prospect. I know you had one in the states (think that was you?), that was a (discontinued), V6, hire car that was base.

Anyway, if you want a classic, a '69 Mach1 is the only one you want ;)

• Like 1

Speaking of Mustangs, and to never let it be said I don't give credit where it is due, I saw my first one in silver at the weekend. Bizarrely as it seems, it suited that colour better than any other colour I've seen it in (all of them!) in coupe form anyway. Didn't seem as frustrated by proportions, and indeed looked a very handsome vehicle.

So there you go, the Mustang sits alongside the original SL and DB5 as looking better in silver than other colours. Lofty company indeed!

Interesting feedback from everyone so far... thanks guys. After all this i think i'm leaning towards the Cayman...

Still no where near sure though and basically looking at everything.

I saw a new X5 on the way home tonight which looked the business. Looked them up on Auto Trader and seen this... i think i'm in love. :cloud9:

media_zpsaecvmc9p.jpg

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703163334210?make=BMW&model=X5M&radius=1500&advertising-location=at_cars&postcode=g22bp&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&sort=price-asc&page=1

You need to get your eyes checked cos that X5 is vile. :yuck:

Almost as bad as the i3.

:lol:

You're probably right. :blush:

I like 4x4's but the X5 has never done anything for me... but this, and the one i saw today were right up my street.