What car next? Porsche? Mustang? Other?

marzman

Im starting to get itchy feet again. I've not had a 'sporty' car since i sold my old 911 in 2014. Im currently driving an 06' Range Rover Sport which is lovely, but starting to show its age now.

I've never had a new, or nearly new car, and im really keen to get something much more modern soon.

I'm toying with a few options at the moment. Sell the RRS and get something ordinary as a day to day car, and then something fun for the weekend. I'm thinking:

A used 991 (unlikely) or 997.2 911. Seem to start at about £35k for the 997.2's

Cayman (2014+) or a new 718? Again starting around the £35k mark or more for a new one

Jaguar F-Type coupe. Again, starting at 35k ish used.

Or do i scratch the Mustang itch and go for either

60's Mustang, and have a much better daily driver. Budget £12-18k

Modern mustang and have it as my only car?

Porsche Panamara and have it as my only car?

Basically, i want something bad ass. B)

A 997.1 would be amazing if their engine wasn't made of chocolate. They can be had from £22k upwards. Maybe this is the answer and then just pay for a bulletproof warranty, or factor in an engine replacement at some point given the cheaper purchase price?

If i do get a 911 or a Mustang, i plan for it to be a garage queen and keep it indefinitely or until i've got Ferrari money (in 20 years) :lol:

I wouldn't get a 718, the engine just doesn't sound good enough yet. A used 981 GTS would be far better.

I think either a 997.2 which would amaze you every day as well as be usable, or the '60s Mustang & a daily. If the Mustang is the dream then do it, but I think you'd be bored with the new one as it's a good car for what it is, but it's no Mustang IMHO.

Hi mate

You've always spoke about cheaper track/drift toys so why not have a sporty 4 door as your daily? C63 etc

Hey pal,

Yeah thats true, well remembered. :) It is definitely still on my to-do list. I could go Panamara and then an MX5 for drifting...

What had made this less attractive for me was the need to Tax/MOT/Insure it. If im doing this i'd want a pure track car to then trailer to get track days. That was one of the main reasons i got my RRS to be honest, for towing, but then i never followed through on getting a trailer, as i've not really got anywhere to keep one (i dont want it in my garage and looks ugly outside on the front of the house).

I wouldn't get a 718, the engine just doesn't sound good enough yet. A used 981 GTS would be far better.

I think either a 997.2 which would amaze you every day as well as be usable, or the '60s Mustang & a daily. If the Mustang is the dream then do it, but I think you'd be bored with the new one as it's a good car for what it is, but it's no Mustang IMHO.

Good points. I've not heard a 718 yet.

Would you not consider a 997.1 then at all?

I know exactly what you're saying with the Mustang, too.

What other bad ass cars haven't i thought of?? C63 you mentioned Irfan, always loved these but im definitely after a sleek coupe look.

Dare I say a 350z stripped for track? It's something you know, it'd be a laugh, then you can still get the Panny to tow with.

The trouble with another zed is, i had (IMHO) probably the best looking Zed possible with my blue one. I'd need one at a similar level if i were to get another, even if i was tracking it. E.g. Shire350z's quality, which i dont want to spend.

997.1 is brilliant, but the suspension and PCM just isn't as good as the gen2. Hell. I'd take a gen2 non-S over the gen1 S, the way the engine revs more freely makes up for the lack of 10bhp,

See i'm not that much of a connoisseur to be honest. If i've not driven either, the Gen 1 will be immense compared to what im driving now. Its the reliability and Porsche anxiety which terrifies me.

But if you're thinking of 2 cars anyway make your weekend car double up as your track toy?

Nah... 95% of the track work i want to do is on the drift tracks at Oulton park. The cars i've had for this in the past have been absolute beaters, and i've enjoyed the days so much as i didnt mind if they came back with bodywork dented or missing. I did it in my first zed a couple of times and you cant let loose anywhere near as much.

Should I mention that a GT-R and R8 are within budget? ;)

The GTR doesnt do very much for me, strangely. The R8 has been high on my list for a long time, but prices seem to have risen signifficantly over the last 3 years, and i was discussing them on here last year and several people's feedback was that they were hideously expensive to maintain, which doesnt float my boat. At least the 911's are reasonably sensible to maintain.

Sakhir-Orange-BMW-F80-M3-Gets-Some-Carbon-Fiber-And-Other-Goodies-Installed-15.jpg

Looks lovely, but just too ordinary looking. I've had 6x BMW 3-series' over the years and it would just be too 'normal' for me.

Now this on the other hand. This is my current favourite car today. The shape and proportions of it are perfection for me... :cloud9:

mansory_mercedesamg_gts_04.jpg?itok=ueCFWLWE

As per usual ill recommend a Maserati

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Love these, but again i've been put off by the maintenance costs. The Gran Turismo is stunning, but i heard on here that it was something silly like £8k for a new suspension strut??? No thanks.

The GTR doesnt do very much for me, strangely. The R8 has been high on my list for a long time, but prices seem to have risen signifficantly over the last 3 years, and i was discussing them on here last year and several people's feedback was that they were hideously expensive to maintain, which doesnt float my boat. At least the 911's are reasonably sensible to maintain.

Really? I've heard the exact opposite about R8 maintenance. They are usually one of the main suggestion for a budget supercar.

As per usual ill recommend a Maserati

He's worried about Porsche reliability and you're recommending a Maser?? :lol:

(Though I'd love a Maser GT :blush: )

Go 60s muscle and runaround. Nothing else even comes close!

Yeah, it definitely needs doing... but if i've got a 60's Mustang it's going to be for cruising not enjoying at speed - so worried about feeling unfulfilled.

If you can stretch to that AMG GT then stop posting in this thread and start looking for one :lol:

ha ha. Not a chance. They're like £100k.

Correction, only £87k. :lol:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201703012809458?sort=price-asc&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=Used&onesearchad=Nearly%20New&onesearchad=New&make=MERCEDES-BENZ&radius=1500&model=AMG&year-from=2014&postcode=st86bw&page=1

Edited by marzman