Top Gear (s24)

Strudul

I really enjoyed it. Best top gear in a long time. Chris Harris needed to practice more with his TelePrompTer reading so it comes across more natural but he'll get there. The road trip was good fun and the series shows real promise.

Yes that bit was great - you could see it coming but BANG hell of a whack.

Agree the script reading needs some work but that comes with time - they all seem on the same wavelength without CE going off on loony toons every 2 minutes.

i've not been able to enjoy TGT, there is something not quite right about it...this episode of TG was much better than the last series...the studio set-up was far better.

I think the chemisry will build, even more so now the CE is history

Good to see so many positive comments about the chemistry when FB seems to be full of slatings. To anyone that says that, all I say is: watch S1 of old TG. Then S2, then S3, its painful.

Having a car reviewer that can actually drive, why has no-one else ever thought of that? :D

Some of the changes they have made are good, I like the new studio, especially what looks like a Countach tucked in the rafters, what I don't really like is.. a few things.

Matt LeBlanc could not be any more wooden. It's almost as if he has no opinion of his own, and feels like every word is scripted.

Leaving James McAvoy sat there while they carried on with other segments was bloody painful to watch. It was also a shame there was no natural conversation with him, again that all felt heavily scripted.

Love the GT86 they're using as a reasonably affordable fast car, that's a good idea! Also happy they are back using the TG track as well, it seems they did listen to what lots of folk were saying.

We all know one of the things that made the original TG work was the fact that the old three would riff and converse, and it felt more like they had a basic script to work with and their personalities filled in the gaps, why they aren't allowing the new 3 to do the same is beyond me. Unless, of course, they have nothing to say, I could certainly believe that about Matt LeBlanc.

I doubt we'll ever get the same sort of chemistry, but at least it feels like it's heading in the right direction. I might start recording it and fast forwarding through if they decide to do the same thing to the celebrities every week.

I would really like it if they would stop trying to pidgeon-hole each presenter into a character. Chris being a bit of an abrasive meany is pointless as it adds nothing. Him literally barking orders at James McAvoy round the track, what the hell was that about?

Edited by mammoth200
  • Like 1

Electronic aids enabled on the GT86 though? Pah!

I can only assume that was because James McAvoy couldn't actually complete a single lap without spinning, so might as well put it on otherwise there'd be no lap at all :lol: Just a shame that he has the personality of a limp parsnip.

Good episode, and I'm so glad that Rory and Chris have been bumped up to main presenters now. Both really talented guys who deserve this.

I enjoyed it more than i expect, but i fully agree with mammoth about James just being sat there for so long barely being spoken to. In all honesty I wasn't a fan of the celeb spot on original TG, always felt like filler. Id much prefer to watch the reviews and challenges. The news was OK as long as the news was interesting and relevant.

I guess they are trying something a bit different with the celebs. Like a normal chat show you queue up celebs on the sofa and they chime in, poor old James didn't seem willing to do that. And to be fair, in reality wasn't sat there that long really.

How bloody lethal was that Karcher pressure washer though!

• Like 1

I think they use something similar to clean tanks (the armoured kind not water). Possibly used to get corrosion off good metal, as they paint buggered off leaving metal, I think the same happens with rust. Could be wrong though. Certainly not for water fights lol

It sounds like I should have tuned into Top Gear last weekend. I only saw a few episodes of the last series and managed to watch all of the TGT on the internet (where the joke of the celebs all dieing wore a bit thin after the second time they did it - I would have thought if they moved around the world they could have based more of the show in that country rather than they really could have been anywhere),