My sad work news

davey_83

Using this to kinda vent and put pen to paper my sadness. Not looking for a solution as I don't think there's one as yet but would be interested to know if anyone else is having to go through something similar either now or in the past.

So today at work my line manager pulls me to one side and goes, "with all the changes in the building (all the same company not shared, but merger of another sister building) it's sad but you've lost your spot on the car park. But there is parking at a local public car park for you with a barrier pass which is a 40mins walk round trip"

It's previously taken me 7 years to get a spot outside the building and to receive this new is sad. No way am i parking my Zed at a public car park every day as it's out of sight and very much away from the road in a non commercial or residential space whereby knowing my luck the worst could happen. I obv I rather not put myself through that as that's all that'll be on my mind. So a car that previously did less that 5k per annum, is now likely to do 2k at most. I will park there but use my Nissan Sunny beater alot more yay.

Like most other dad's on here you work all week and come the weekend you want to spend time with the family. I have two young girls 4 and 2 and it's the highlight of my life being with them on a weekend. As during the week I get home and it's play for a bit, bath, brush teeth and bed.

Come the weekend when we all go out anywhere it's in the Mrs car which is perfectly geared up for this and again I don't use the 350z of a weekend much either other than actual drives out or car shows and meets.

It's going to be a damn shame to leave it parked up at home all day every day as I just love driving it so much. To the extent that I often go the long way to work effectively doubling the distance.

Thank you forum for giving me a media to vent and get stuff of my mind.

Edited by davey_83

From the description it almost sounds like you work where I used to... but that was in Essex.

They were in the process of merging 2 sites (just down the road from each other) and were somehow intending to fit 2x as many cars in the car park. :lol: My contract ended last year, so I'm not sure what happened, but it sounded like it was destined to fail.

As for a solution, try find someone who lives near you / en route with a parking space then offer to give them a lift in return for use of their spot. Personally I'd rather drive myself, but I bet most people would love to have a chauffeur drive them to work and back, especially in a Z ;)

• Like 1

Any local residents you can rent a driveway from ?. Might be worth sticking some fliers thru doors.If people are out to work all day then they may be happy to grab £5 a day parking for example.Happens in Sutton where I work.

Edited by Payco
  • Like 1

It's only a car. Drive it as much as you can and park it wherever, no point owning something nice and never driving it. If if does ever get a dink then so what? That's what you pay insurance for.

Life's too short to worry about stuff like that. Enjoy what you have, you work hard enough for it.

• Like 2

I feel your pain davey. I have had the zed a year now, only done the shopping in it once at Morrisons and came out to a dent in drivers door, not done weekly shop in it since, although saying that my daily Beamer, first 2 weeks at new work place parking in dedicated car park next to other staff, no fewer than 3 dents in doors in 2 weeks.

So even your spot at work is no guarantee of a safe spot.

How about asking someone you know fairly well who has a spot if they would alternate weeks with you then at least you get to use the zed half of each month? If you explained your position you may be suprised how accomodating snd sympathetic people can be. Of course they could slso tell you to shove it. 50/50 gamble

• Like 1

This was my space, about as perfect as a work spot could be. Next to my mate who has a 5 door and understands how to open a car door haha

It is just a car and I wish I could honestly treat it like, that but we are who we are.

To alternate would leave someone with a trek up the road which isn't really fair on them either. Always could be worst, who likes change right.

IMG_20170223_215932_zpsjzirj7ik.jpg

This would royally **** me off - how exactly was the decision over who gets what parking space reached? Is it a management / pay-grade type deal? If not, at the very least it should have been put to a ballot?

Most places I've worked have a first come first served policy

• Like 2

This would royally **** me off - how exactly was the decision over who gets what parking space reached? Is it a management / pay-grade type deal? If not, at the very least it should have been put to a ballot?

Most places I've worked have a first come first served policy

Agree with this 100% ^^^. How is it decided who gets the car parking spaces and who doesn't? And why should you lose yours after being with the company for such a long period of time?

I'd be asking them questions and getting the answers before I agreed to give up my parking space and having to walk 40 mins each day! Obviously the physical exercise aspect is completely personal preference, but I'd sure as hell wouldn't want to walk 20 mins to my car after a hard day's graft :lol: :lol:

• Like 1

It's purely on length of service and with the two buildings coming into one, there's now a load more people that have been with the bank over me.

Yes RIP lol

Landlord won't allow the trees and edges to be dug out sadly, were stupidly over subscribed in the build - just sadining as I in a way initially held of from buying a 350z until I got the spot too.

It's only a car. Drive it as much as you can and park it wherever, no point owning something nice and never driving it. If if does ever get a dink then so what? That's what you pay insurance for.

Life's too short to worry about stuff like that. Enjoy what you have, you work hard enough for it.

Totally agree with this ^

Enjoy your cars otherwise they become stress not fun.

Parking is such a huge emotive issue in the work place its not true. Especially when folk wait years for a space.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Bit of a b*gger for you. I have been in a similar situation before. I was offered a job at a company and one of the first things I asked was "does it have a parking space", as parking is a nightmare in Cambridge. I was assured it did. Turn up on my first day only to find out that actually, no there wasnt a space. However, if a free space came up that day you could park. Was a nightmare as id end up having to squeeze in the tightest spaces next to some people carrier full of baby seats where you knew full well the owner wasnt the best at parking. If there was no spaces that day then id have to park a mile down the road in a park & ride. Wasnt good times and most days id walk into work fuming.

In the past, I had to use a public car park for one job. That again was very stressful as it was back when I had time to polish my car every week etc and it was my pride & joy. But to be fair, I never had any problems and after a few weeks didnt worry about it.

These days, I figure, its just a car, hence im using my car as a daily and not overly worrying about it. I only get time to wash it once a month and certainly dont get time to polish it. Expect it will probably be wrecked by the end of the year, but hey ho.

• Like 1

I could understand if it was a spanking new Ferrari or a concours classic but its a 350Z mate, whats the worst that could happen? A few hundred quid from chips away?

I dont understand the mentality - if you have toys then play with them, sure they are going to wear out and get broken but youll have a lot more fun than if you just leave them in the box and look at them - its like when I was a kid, a mate would get new trainers but not wear them "in case they got ruined" .......... eh?

What do you do if you need to go shopping, take the bus rather than park in a multistorey? :lol:

• Like 2