Considering a 370z ;-)

Damo's370z666

Heaven forbid I should have an opinion, eh? The OP asked for some, I gave him mine.

No, I've never driven a modified 370Z. Yes, I'm sure there's plenty you can do to it. No, I still think the 370 interior is a design mess, and the quality of the switchgear not what it should be for a £30K car.

Given that a sizeable amount of 370 owners say they bought it because it's not a common sight, I don't see that as an unfair comment. The engine is routinely noted as not sounding special by owners themselves, the ride isn't as good as it should be, it's not as quick as the 987CS nor the TTRS, and neither does it handle as well. Are you seriously going to argue those points?! :lol:

but not all of us have the depth of pockets you seem to enjoy :)

Last time I looked Colin you were driving a £40K car, and I'm in a £6.5K one. If you want to throw the money argument around, then try looking a bit closer to home, eh?

Besides, we're talking about cars that cost the same here. The Germans will be older and leggier, but the price will be the same.

Truth is no, I don't rate the 370 very much. The outside looks stunning, I don't like the mix of analogue and digital inside, and I don't think it's very exciting to drive for the money. So what? Everyone thinks the 6er is an ugly car, the 911 looks like a Beetle, the VX220 is a poor man's Lotus, and the MR2 a hairdresser's car. And you know what, they're right. Given I already said to the OP that it was the right car for him, I'm not sure what else you expect me to do. Lie? Tell everyone I think that the 370 is the best car in the history of the world, faster than a P1, nicer inside than an F-type, better steering than an Elise?

Or just maybe I can offer a different viewpoint for a fellow enthusiast.

• Like 2

Nobody's told you not to have an opinion. You're on a forum for people who are enthusiastic about these cars. You've got to expect some comeback if you're going to slate them in that subtly insulting way you're so good at ;)

Nobody's told you not to have an opinion. You're on a forum for people who are enthusiastic about these cars. You've got to expect some comeback if you're going to slate them in that subtly insulting way you're so good at ;)

Enthusiasm I get, absolutely. I'd expect comments like "Yeah, the exhaust does sound rubbish, but I put a Cobra on and now it's ace" which makes perfect sense, or "I think the TTRS doesn't look special enough, and the 370 stands out more" which is bang-on. I understand some do like the interior, which is arguably the biggest sticking point and massively subjective. But that's okay, different opinions. If people want to back up their views that's fine, I'm all for a bit of reasoned debate.

What I don't expect is to be insulted because I happen to be able to afford nice things which I work bloody hard for. Or just because I have an opinion which I've stuck to consistently. Someone else was picked on by a couple of members the other week (I was one of them!), and that was considered to be a something the Team felt they should look into. Anybody want to tell me how this is any different?

If the OP wants to ignore me, then that's his prerogative. What I don't expect is to be told that I shouldn't be allowed to pass reasoned, sensible counterpoint views in an open thread asking for advice.

The 370 has some very expensive components too mate. A new box fitted by an AD could run you up to £12k.

True, but my Nissan 3 year extended used car warranty was £499 (and it pays out).

You will pay twice that annually for Porsche extended warranty!

Even my M3 BMW warranty was half of the cost of a Porsche extended warranty.

• Like 1

Dan, I think you're over reacting a bit, mate, no need to throw the toys out the pram :lol:

I think what people in here are saying is that of course you can have an opinion about the drivability, handling and overall performance of the 370z if you have actually owned / driven /experienced one for a while. You can for instance debate the aesthetics of the 370z without having owned one, just by looking at photos :)

I also think you're preaching to the converted, if I may use that phrase, without offending anyone. Most of the guys expressing their opinion on this thread have / had 370z and of course they get offended when you slate their cars just for the sake of having an opinion here :) I kind of did the same thing with the 370z Nismo MK1 aesthetics, but at least I had a 370z for a good while, so I sort of got away with it. :lol:

To the original poster, ask a member in here to take you out in one of the properly modded 370z, it will give you a very clear idea if you want one or not: Eg. Rich@H-Dev, Jonnymonno/John, VH1/René, Keyser/Chris to name a few, depending where you live. Much better experience as with the dealership :)

Good luck!

Edited by Adrian@TORQEN
  • Like 4

i'm selling my Z now if you want it OP - apparently its cr@p.

on a serious note - try a Nismo variant of the 370z, think that will be closer to what you're looking for than the standard. Unless you're keen on modifying the set up.

• Like 3

Not seeing any of that in the comments above. Who said you shouldn't be allowed to offer an opinion or insulted you?

Exactly!

All I was asking Dan was your actual experience of driving or riding a 370, and now you tell us your experience with a modified 370 is zero we all now know the value of your opinion :thumbs:

Oh, and the fact I now have an A45, which I bought for sub £40k as it happens, is quite irrelevant when you know full well my love of the 370 that I only had to let go because of the need for 4 seats and I could not justify having 3+ cars in the household, given my other half was unwilling to let let her car go in favour of having both the A45 and the 370 :( As I have said elsewhere, if circumstances were different I would have another 370 in a shot but for now I will continue to give every encouragement to anyone thinking of buying a 370 (or a 350 for that matter) as great drivers' cars, helped by many other real enthusiasts on this forum who have experienced them and know what great value for money they offer. :)

Edited by Ebized
  • Like 4

I have to say if someone came to me and said "I want something that I can drive hard on track" I wouldn't be suggesting a 370z , let alone a modified 370z, but equally would suggest anything mentioned here previously either apart from perhaps the GT86

• Like 1

I have to say if someone came to me and said "I want something that I can drive hard on track" I wouldn't be suggesting a 370z , let alone a modified 370z, but equally would suggest anything mentioned here previously either apart from perhaps the GT86

skimmed the thread - didn't realise he said that! ... and I agree :thumbs:

• Like 1

skimmed the thread - didn't realise he said that! ... and I agree :thumbs:

And the OP stated "sometimes on track" use.

It does not seem to me that he wants an out and out track car :surrender:

Edited by 370ZRDevon
  • Like 1

The op said that he drives hard and on track back in post #37 , thats why I used that phrase in quotes , I didnt say track car and I'm not suggesting the GT86 is a track car but it will cope much better with that kind of use than a 370z, it still wouldnt be my first choice of a car to use on track days

All I was asking Dan was your actual experience of driving or riding a 370, and now you tell us your experience with a modified 370 is zero we all now know the value of your opinion :thumbs:

Ive got to say that I test drove a Nismo 370Z for well over an hour and agree with nearly everything Ekona says about the 370, maybe hes just psychic? :lol:

I drove a 987 and a 981 Cayman, 135i, M235i, M435i, my own 350Z, 1M and a 997 C2S in the same week or the week before and all of them were better "drivers" cars IMO.

And the reason I moved on from my Zed? Too heavy, not great for track (as standard at least) or driving hard, exactly what the OP is after.

Fair play, I know everyone loves their own car and wants to defend it to the death, but everyone is entitled to an opinion and unless the club are going to censor negative comments about Z chassis cars the 370 owners are going to have to accept that some people think there are better cars out there for the money.

Edited by docwra
  • Like 1

Oh, and the fact I now have an A45, which I bought for sub £40k as it happens, is quite irrelevant when you know full well my love of the 370 that I only had to let go because of the need for 4 seats and I could not justify having 3+ cars in the household, given my other half was unwilling to let let her car go in favour of having both the A45 and the 370 :( As I have said elsewhere, if circumstances were different I would have another 370 in a shot but for now I will continue to give every encouragement to anyone thinking of buying a 370 (or a 350 for that matter) as great drivers' cars, helped by many other real enthusiasts on this forum who have experienced them and know what great value for money they offer. :)

Mate, you brought the money thing up, not me. Don't start getting huffy about it now.

Where have I ever said anything about driving a modified 370? All my comments ever have been about ones I've actually driven, which have been stock. I have no doubt you have more knowledge about modified ones than me, but stop trying to put words in my mouth and claim I've ever said otherwise. I'm sorry that you couldn't keep all the cars you wanted as the missus put her foot down, and I know you loved your 370. I know most owners do love their 370s, and that's great, but my experiences of them are just as valid as anyone else's.

In the world of cars, you could do a lot worse than a 370. I'd rather have one over, say, a TTS or a 330i. However, for the kind of money we're talking about there are better cars out there. They may not suit everyone, but that shouldn't detract from them.

• Like 1

All these threads come down to is, grin factor, did i have any less of a grin on my face last week at Bedford in my 350 than anyone else there, no, was Keyser smiling more than me being in his purpose build track Radical, i doubt it. Sure a 350 or 370 isnt going to be the sharpest tool out the box, but its all about fun imho and that is undefinable.

Just in case anyone likes facts and figures:

http://fastestlaps.com/comparisons/ovgmocchm05z

• Like 1

And with that, I withdraw from this thread. Hopefully the OP has enough info to make his decision, and I genuinely wish him the best of luck with his search. :)

I think he's gone and joined "Mumsnet", :surrender: ...less handbags being thrown around & bickering on there. :scare::lol:

As Nic & Will said above no need for people to get personal. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. :)

• Like 2

And with that, I withdraw from this thread. Hopefully the OP has enough info to make his decision, and I genuinely wish him the best of luck with his search. :)

I think he's gone and joined "Mumsnet", :surrender: ...less handbags being thrown around & bickering on there. :scare::lol:

As Nic & Will said above no need for people to get personal. Everyone's entitled to their own opinions. :)

Wait, we have apicture of Ekona with a handbag somewhwere. :teeth:
  • Like 2