Considering a 370z ;-)

Damo's370z666

The best comparison i can make is of you were doing open heart surgery the cayman is a nice sgarp scalpel and the 370z being a baseball bat. Still gets the job done but a little rough around edges.

But i love that and wouldn't change it.

LOL I like that

The best comparison i can make is of you were doing open heart surgery the cayman is a nice sgarp scalpel and the 370z being a baseball bat. Still gets the job done but a little rough around edges.

But i love that and wouldn't change it.

Lovely analogy there Chris..lol. Brutal gets the job done. :lol:

Damien.

I've had two 370s, one a GT and one a Mk1 Nismo. What a lot of people don't realise on here with regards to the Mk1, is the suspension set up. Superior in every way to the GT, a different class over a 350.

I did some basic suspension mods to my GT, a set of Eibach Pro's, had an Akropovic Evo true dual exhaust, was UpRevved, but the Nismo would smash it all day long on twisties, fact. (Ask Gstraw on here, he couldn't believe it when I gave him a cabbie, he has a 370 GT)

You will get a lot of negative opinion about a Nismo on here, from some that have never even driven one, never mind owned one. The servicing on a 370 is inexpensive. As a track car, I've no idea, but if it's mostly for track, get a stripped out MX 5 like Ekona has, you'll have more fun. As Ebized has said, as for a fast, fun and well equipped GT, it's in a good price bracket.

One or two things about a 370, the road noise is pretty bad, not enough steering wheel adjustment (only up or down, no in or out) and my Mrs always complained that, as a passenger, it wasn't the most comfortable of, erm, rides :)

It is a looker, gets loads of compliments and attention and the equipment level is very good.

I've no real idea on a Porsche or TT RS, no doubt very capable cars, for me, now a 'redneck', they both have an image problem in my eyes. The Audi, because the company that produces them are cheating bast3rds, and the Porsche, if not the right one, is a wannabe statement.

You won't wring a lot of extra oomph from a 370 without spending serious cash and going FI, but as was mentioned, unless you're getting one really cheap, it might be the wrong car if you require that level of power.

Anyway, good luck in your search, buy one off a club member, it'll be looked after and not at a dealer premium.

I would have to agree there is magic in the Nismo chassis.

However I wish they’d have put an extra £5k on the RRP (ok, putting it deeper into Cayman territory) but fitted it with a mechanical / locking diff, Ohlins and better engine mounts. I can do all of these things aftermarket but it won’t be properly tuned and will probably reduce the value of the car rather than increase it. Seriously thinking about adding some better dampers because they are the one thing I notice as being particularly limited after stepping out of more expensive machinery.

• Like 1

Feel free to come and try mine any time, it puts a big grin on the face of everyone that drives it or travels in it

But I have spent quite a bit of money on it ;)

Thanks Jonny. What is her chassis spec. :) And how does she compare to the other performance machines you have owned?

Damien.

I've got both a 350z and 370z after recently purchasing the 370z.

- The 370z feels lighter around corners and was also noticed by another 350z driver that drove my 370z.

- The 370z has good top end, right to 7500rpm.

- Get an exhaust, HFC or ART PIPES, intake system and a remap (ECUTEK) and you will love the car.

- I'm running Motordyne exhaust, ART pipes, Stillen gen 3 intakes and ECUTEK and pushed 332 WHP which is probably around the 370bhp area just to give you an idea...

- As for a porche cayman I got told by a cayman owner that he could not keep up with my 370z and its a new cayman... Audi tt is a hairdressers car :p and I wouldn't go near the Peugeot :D

Yeah the 370z will be a bit more rough around the edges than the cayman but is also a lot cheaper allowing you do your own personal touches which will no doubt happen...Zeditus..

Edited by Chris Wiltshire
  • Like 1

I've got both a 350z and 370z after recently purchasing the 370z.

- The 370z feels lighter around corners and was also noticed by another 350z driver that drove my 370z.

- The 370z has good top end, right to 7500rpm.

- Get an exhaust, HFC or ART PIPES, intake system and a remap (ECUTEK) and you will love the car.

- I'm running Motordyne exhaust, ART pipes, Stillen gen 3 intakes and ECUTEK and pushed 332 WHP which is probably around the 370bhp area just to give you an idea...

- As for a porche cayman I got told by a cayman owner that he could not keep up with my 370z and its a new cayman... Audi tt is a hairdressers car :p and I wouldn't go near the Peugeot :D

Yeah the 370z will be a bit more rough around the edges than the cayman but is also a lot cheaper allowing you do your own personal touches which will no doubt happen...Zeditus..

Thanks for that Chris. I am in Wiltshire too. Really like the sounds you are making on the 370 as a modified perfected machine. The RCZ R is not any old Peugeot matey its a real decent spec'd machine with tuned factory bmw engine believe it or not. Most Peugeots i would agree though.

I just want a real gorgeous character coupe with potential i can develop, and the 370 has always been a favourite of mine. One of my good friends was a top cheese at Nissan and told me not to touch a 370z as its a big heavy car and not for me. Said the 350z was a far better drivers machine. Its been great getting some really honest replies on this thread. Much appreciated guys. :D

Feel free to come and try mine any time, it puts a big grin on the face of everyone that drives it or travels in it

But I have spent quite a bit of money on it ;)

Thanks Jonny. What is her chassis spec. :) And how does she compare to the other performance machines you have owned?

Damien.

Best to read my build thread "The Nissan dealer made me do it". It's all in there

I've had quite a few tasty cars in my time but always wanted a 370z since they came out and have spent quite a bit of money now making it how Nissan should have turned it out of the factory

I can go for weeks out on the road and never see another 370 so are quite exclusive

Good luck with your search and final choice :)

• Like 1

Thanks for that Chris. I am in Wiltshire too....

FYI Damo that is just his name: "Chris Wiltshire". He's actually based around the Cardiff area in South Wales. ;)

Reading all this I think you're coming around to the 370 more & more so you really need to drive one. :teeth:

• Like 2

Thanks for that Chris. I am in Wiltshire too....

FYI Damo that is just his name: "Chris Wiltshire". He's actually based around the Cardiff area in South Wales. ;)

Reading all this I think you're coming around to the 370 more & more so you really need to drive one. :teeth:

Couldn't agree more. Seems like all she needs is a little chassis work to give me a nice balance. I don't doubt the engine potential. Yes need to get behind a wheel soon. Its the character of the 370z just love it. Have to say really grateful for all the replies guys. Feel much better educated now. :thumbs:

Thanks for the info on Chris Wiltshire.. Easy mistake to make..lol. ;-)

Damien.

• Like 1

As with many jap cars of this ilk i would consider the exhaust mods as absolutely essential. The RCZR does have an interesting engine, insane power output for a 1.6, would like to try it one day!

The girlfriend has an RCZ, she wanted a TT mk2 2litre tfsi. We test drove both and the RCZ was the more fun car to drive and its actually a bloody nice thing to drive. Audi's are staid and boring to be honest! And i hate the under steer they have in factory trim, its bloody tiresome. The RCZ was one of Peugeot's finest moments. The sport division R model really is an excellent machine to drive, LSD, big brembo's and work over engine internals and chassis mods. I know the brand is a dirty word and everyone thinks about the little tin boxes they made as of late. But they really stepped up to the plate with the RCZ has to be said. The chassis really gives a fair amount of feedback, and you really get a sense of what the car is doing. Really flows well down a nice back road. The R just takes those basic attributes and steps it up a gear. ;-)

I would rather have a big hairy chested brute of a machine like the Z though. I will hold my tongue until i drive a good example. ;-)

Damien.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link Ebized. My god she is perfect. Love the black rose colour. And looks like an ocd owner like me. I need to find a gap in my work schedule to test drive one first at a dealer, not someone's pride and joy. Still in the early stages of research, but by hell when I see the 370z it really makes my pulse race. Not many motors I can say that of, not even the porky Caymen mk1 S. Which I know is a formidable machine, but to me look slightly ugly from certain angles. ;-)

• Like 1

The 370 isn't the quickest, nor is it the most involving, nor is does it have best interior, nor does it make the best noise, nor will it be considered a classic in years to come.

It is different though, and even on the worst day better than a French FWD scrabble wagon. Tbh you sound like you already want one, and I can't see you actually trying any of the others to compare. Nowt wrong with that, sometimes we just know what we want and so we go with it :thumbs:

• Like 3

The 370 isn't the quickest, nor is it the most involving, nor is does it have best interior, nor does it make the best noise, nor will it be considered a classic in years to come.

It is different though, and even on the worst day better than a French FWD scrabble wagon. Tbh you sound like you already want one, and I can't see you actually trying any of the others to compare. Nowt wrong with that, sometimes we just know what we want and so we go with it :thumbs:

Bloody hell Ekona you make it sound pretty bland.lol. In fact you sound like my good friend who was a Nissan manager who was very well versed in everything Nissan. He said it was god awful. And i would be making a monumental mistake buying one. He is a big fan of the 350z though which he said was a far better drivers machine! As he knows what i am like. I am trying to be positive here..And don't get me wrong i really value the truth. My main focus is putting the bloody thing right with the right modifications. Yet if you weigh it up the cost of the car and what it would cost to put it right for what i want you are into silly money! Where you can get a much more complete factory machine?

What i am hearing suggests to me this coupe is for people who like actually cruising round in a nice machine. Its not dynamic or particularly engaging, and the v6 is ok but not the best?

The RCZ R does not scrabble at all, it has a really decent front LSD. I have driven one on track and its pretty decent. And feedback and braking is excellent. Would leave the 370z for dust in most situations. I just love the concept of the Z though. Bottom line is i need to get one out on the road and give one a good drive, where i can ascertain whether she has potential for what i personally want in a machine.

Damien.

• Like 1

Compared to the Germans, it is bland. The engine doesn't sound special, it's harsh, it's neither outright quick nor the cutting edge of handling. In every aspect, it's beaten by the 987C and TTRS (except the satnav in the Porsche is dire, and the TT is a bit numb in the steering dept).

But for some, the simple fact it's not German is enough. It's a rare sight in theory, and mods will almost certainly be cheaper like for like. It's a great compromise. I still think an FI GT86 would suit you better, but if you want something to modify for cheaps then the 370 wins, purely on budget if not on the drive.

• Like 2

Just ignore him. He enjoys popping up on the 370 bit of the forum to remind us what crap cars we're all driving. :p Listen to the rest of us and buy one - you won't regret it.

Edited by sipar69

Compared to the Germans, it is bland. The engine doesn't sound special, it's harsh, it's neither outright quick nor the cutting edge of handling. In every aspect, it's beaten by the 987C and TTRS (except the satnav in the Porsche is dire, and the TT is a bit numb in the steering dept).

But for some, the simple fact it's not German is enough. It's a rare sight in theory, and mods will almost certainly be cheaper like for like. It's a great compromise. I still think an FI GT86 would suit you better, but if you want something to modify for cheaps then the 370 wins, purely on budget if not on the drive.

So as you love knocking the 370, please tell us your experience(s) of driving 370's, or even riding in them?

Cos, I have to say I found it one of the best driving cars for the money that I have ever experienced. Yes, for £40k+ and often needing lots of ££££s on top for the right options, there are better out there but not all of us have the depth of pockets you seem to enjoy :)

• Like 4

And why knock the 370z interior.

I have owned 4 Porsches and apart from the very latest models the 370Z interior is a far nicer place to spend time.

I would never own a used Porsche without manufacturers extended warranty either and check out the cost of that annually!

• Like 2