Considering a 370z ;-)

Damo's370z666

Hi guys

Well done my homework studying the 370z. I am really after an agile coupe with potential i can use sometimes on track. Besides the Z i am looking at Peugeot RCZ R, Porsche Caymen S mk1 and Audi TTRS.

To be honest i have fallen for the looks and image of the Z, to me its a mean looking machine, with potential. I go to japan alot with my job so i totally get the jap car scene. Yet when i read reviews and talk to past owners. I am not getting as positive a feedback as i would like to hear.

Guys any views would be awesome. I am hopefully driving one soon. Would love a black Anniversary edition if possible when the time comes.

Damien.

The tt would eat the 370 for breakfast

But the 370 wins in the looks department

What sort have feedback have you been getting?

Thanks for the reply's

Well that the 370z is not as exhilarating to drive as you i would like to think, and that the 350z was the much better all round car. Also that the 370 feels lethargic and heavy on its feet. And if i am considering using her on track forget it! Also apparently on the upside a set of uprated ARB's does transform the handling somewhat. Also did the later cars have a larger oil cooler to deal with the overheating problems?

Cheers

Damien.

The 370 handles better than the 350 imo , it turns in much better. Its also quicker but doesnt feel it , its much better equipped. The 370 feels more solid not sure about heavy

Yes post 2012 cars have improved oil cooling but no oil cooler

Arbs do help but they are far from essential

• Like 3

Cheers guys again really appreciate the feedback. I need to test drive a good 370z soon, and see how she feels. Will try my best to get anything over 2012 as would like the redesigned cooling. Although i would probably fit a oil cooler for peace of mind as i would use her for track days. Really fascinated in reading up and learning more on this character coupe.

I suppose the later 2012 cooling modifications can be easily retrofitted to the earlier cars?

Cheers

Damien.

Cheers guys again really appreciate the feedback. I need to test drive a good 370z soon, and see how she feels. Will try my best to get anything over 2012 as would like the redesigned cooling. Although i would probably fit a oil cooler for peace of mind as i would use her for track days. Really fascinated in reading up and learning more on this character coupe.

I suppose the later 2012 cooling modifications can be easily retrofitted to the earlier cars?

Cheers

Damien.

2012 is good shout

Although I do think the cooling issues are really that bad in our climate; )

The Cayman is the best car there for your purposes by some margin.

Pug is a FWD scrabble wagon, TTRS monstrously quick but not hugely involving, 370 beaten for pace and handling by both VAG cars, Cayman has delicacy plus throttle response plus mid engined.

If you don't want the Porker, get the TT. Give it a light remap and it'll leave GTRs for dust.

• Like 1

The Cayman is the best car there for your purposes by some margin.

Pug is a FWD scrabble wagon, TTRS monstrously quick but not hugely involving, 370 beaten for pace and handling by both VAG cars, Cayman has delicacy plus throttle response plus mid engined.

If you don't want the Porker, get the TT. Give it a light remap and it'll leave GTRs for dust.

But the gtr driver will still look like he's driving a man's car :)

• Like 3

So? I don't get this desire to conform to someone else's viewpoint. It's your money you're spending, not theirs!

I'm not saying anyone had to conform to anything

I'm personaly would look back at a gtr I wouldn't look back at my TT

I do however totally agree they are totally brilliant cars no one can argue with that

And if the op likes the look of the TT I'd go as far as urging him to get one over a 370

• Like 1

Personally I'd go for the zed, I've had a Mk2 3.2 v6 TT from new and it was an unreliable piece of crap I know the TTRS is different but just saying. The pug I have no knowledge on and porkers, well I've hated everyone I've driven.

• Like 1

GTR may grab the attention more, but the TT is a much better design. And that's before you get to the interior... ;)

I feel like someone has hacked your account! The TT is dog ugly and looks pretty much the same as the diesel version.

Yes it's quick but not GTR quick, you say give the TT a mild tune but the same with the GTR will give you 600bhp.

• Like 2

TT is a design classic, GTR is a box.

Agreed about the tuning potential though. The TTRS is monstrously quick though, and that 5-cyl soundtrack :wub:

Edited by Ekona
  • Like 1

Moved your thread btw to the 370 section Op. ;)

If I was going for a 370Z then I'd really want the Nismo tbh otherwise I'd go for the TTRS from your choices Op.

Personally I like the look of the TTRS and as Dan said just a bit of mild tuning will have you sticking with & beating some GTR's. B)

• Like 1

When I bought my 370z a year ago it was a choice between either the 370 or a cayman.

When you look at cost/ value for money the 370 wins hands down I would say.

I bought a 3 year old 370 with less than 18k miles. The same money would have got me a lot older and lot higher mileage cayman (with potentially more problems) and a lot higher servicing and running costs.

The Porsche is a fantastic car, but you are paying a premium for the badge.

I didn't go for the peugeot because its ugly as hell and a bit of a lemon.

I didn't consider a TT because I'm not a hairdresser :)

• Like 1

Servicing and running costs on a 987 are identical to the 350, much less the 370.

You're paying a premium for better car, as well as the badge.

All this said, I'd be tempted by the TTRS these days. With a manual 'box though!

• Like 1

To buy the equivalent age and mileage cayman you are looking in the region of 50% to 100% more £ than the 370.

I would agree the cayman is a better car, but I would find it hard to believe it is twice as good.

If money was no option then fine. But I still stick to my point that value for money the 370z wins.

Ultimately what put me off the Porsche was a friend of mine had some huge repair bills on his cayman. I understand what you are saying that general servicing costs may not be too bad on them, but just the fact it's a Porsche there is potential for some astronomical repairs if you're unlucky.

• Like 1

If the engine goes pop, I agree. That's a much bigger cost than £1K tops for a Nissan V6.

However, pretty much everything else (like for like) is the same on both cars. I ran a 997 for 4 years and it cost me the same as the 350, and given the similarities between the 997 and the 987 it's not an unreasonable comparison.

• Like 1

Have to say i really appreciate the honestly here on this thread. I kind of know the caymen S is the better choice for me, for what i want the car for. I really was secretly hoping to hear the 370z has an ace up its sleeve with careful chassis modification etc. The RCZ R is a great handling chassis and machine and comes with LSD. Obviously does not have the Z'ds soundtrack. I do prefer the look of the Z to the Caymen S mk1. But the Caymen will always be the gifted child in handling and driver feedback. I come from the Audi scene and TT's, i had a modified TTqs. The Audi product is quality but staid, and driver feedback is pretty average. Its ace is indeed its 5cld turbo, but that is it really, it is very understeery on the limit! I think its a case of driving the Caymen S and the Z and see how i feel.

Damien.

Owning a 370z and a 987 Cayman S, feel I can chip in here!! For driving performance, handling and enjoyment, the Cayman wins hands down everytime!! We live in fear of the dreaded IMS bearing failure and the potential bore scoring, but if it was to happen we'll just have to deal with the cost and accept the 'Porsche Tax'!! Then we will have a car that will be good for a loooong time ;)

However, the zed stands out more on the road! Plenty of scope for mods/upgrades, and fun to drive! The costs to run both are very similar, and although the Porsche is a better 'drivers car', the zed still cannot be written off :D

But please stay away from an RCZ... awful :wacko:

• Like 2

Owning a 370z and a 987 Cayman S, feel I can chip in here!! For driving performance, handling and enjoyment, the Cayman wins hands down everytime!! We live in fear of the dreaded IMS bearing failure and the potential bore scoring, but if it was to happen we'll just have to deal with the cost and accept the 'Porsche Tax'!! Then we will have a car that will be good for a loooong time ;)

However, the zed stands out more on the road! Plenty of scope for mods/upgrades, and fun to drive! The costs to run both are very similar, and although the Porsche is a better 'drivers car', the zed still cannot be written off :D

But please stay away from an RCZ... awful :wacko:

I beg to differ

The stealth bomber was definitely written off pmsl

• Like 2