If you had £500 to re-train.....

Kraziekatz1

Ok, Friday night question.....

If you were leaving your current job and had £500 to spend on re-training for whatever you wanted to do....what would you choose?

For example, I'm a Research Scientist. Have spent a long time studying to get where I am today. Quitting my job end of this month. Having a career break! Thinking about spending my £500 on the ARDS racing licence course/test. Advice from those who've done the test, much appreciated. Also, a little undecided if it's right thing to do. Perhaps, I'm just being selfish?

Don't think £500 would stretch to gas fitting training. It is easy money though but need to Resite tests every few years to stay registered and I think there a few grand a time. Considered it myself but don't think I'd get the same job satisfaction though. Gas fitters are usually grumpy too lol

Do what makes you happy :-)

Paul

• Like 2

Ok, Friday night question.....

If you were leaving your current job and had £500 to spend on re-training for whatever you wanted to do....what would you choose?

See this to me makes me think you mean money to spend on re-training in the hope of furthering or starting a career after this training. :dry:

Basically what I think you should have said is; "If you had £500 to pi** away just for fun on something learning based after finishing a job, what would it be?" :blush:

I'd love to do the ARDS course but as Alex says unless you're not going to compete, attend sessions or hire/buy a race car plus all the equipment then it is a bit of a waste of money although in saying that I'm sure doing the course (track time & classroom) would be very interesting.

Probably better off though spending the money on track days or maybe some type of sports car hire etc.

I think for the £500 I would do one of the hydro dipping courses that AquaGraphix run as I find that very interesting and in some ways it would tie in nicely with skills I have and my current career. ;)

• Like 2

Strange one, but I'll be getting my BPA licence this year (British Pyrotechnics Association). I've always been a pyromaniac from a young age. Was given the opportunity and I'm grabbing it with both hands. Not a career change but gives me the opportunity to blow things up!! :lol:

A few years ago I might have said "Do your offshore survival / Bosiet" - but in the current climate that is not recommended. Industry is at saturation point due to the dearth of opportunities & qualified people already on the hunt.

In a high-oil environment, a person with almost any tradecraft could make a go of it offshore. Just not at the moment.

It's worth doing your ARDS just to be able to casually drop into conversations that you're a racing driver B)

I took my ARDS 12 months ago and I am now preparing for my second season as a club race driver, I'm 55 years old and its probably the best decision I have made in a long time. If you have passed your ARDS you can hire a race car and compete even if its only 1 weekend a year.

The adrenalin rush is indescribable in your first race.

• Like 2

ive spent my entire career self training. part due to acheiving nothing from school, and secondly from being self-employyed. i counted up recently and ive spent more on training! than i did on my house deposit.

ive found thats its invaluable, but some types of training arnt really useful.

if i was to go for a career change and i had just £500, i would probably spend it on a one-way plane ticket to somewhere hot, sunny, with a nice beach, and i'd find a hotel to work at.

Paradise :)

if i was to go for a career change and i had just £500, i would probably spend it on a one-way plane ticket to somewhere hot, sunny, with a nice beach, and i'd find a hotel to work at.

Paradise :)

I dont know about a career change but this sound perfect right now with this shitty weather!!! B)

Are you talking an ards instructor or race license? I wouldnt consider a race license retraining and if you want to become an instructor it will be a slog. An older friend of mine is an instructor, has been for many years, he had some great contacts with high end manufacturers, his description was, its a hobby and beer money, he still had a full time job. He is now semi retired and just instructs but has a tie in with BMW, but its still just very much part time.

Gas fitter, easy money and been trying for months to get someone to fit a gas fire but no one seems interested. Would do it myself but would invalidate house insurance etc :surrender:

Not sure I could drink that much tea :) Appreciate they earn good money, but not sure I'd enjoy anything along the gas fitter, plumber, electrician line.

Software engineer, if you get good enough you'll get into a good company without a proper degree in it. Generally following a "fun" dream ends in tears. I'm quite cynical though.

I can't do an office job or sit at a computer all day. Would do my head in. Am more a hands on person, like to be outside when I can. Have already built my career as such, have a couple of degrees, lots of publications and am well established in my field of Science. But I have a once in the lifetime opportunity to take a break and try something a little different. I'm leaving with a good redundancy package and can afford to take some time off for me. Ultimately I will probably end up going back to a science job, unless I become an awesome racing driver that is lol

Appreciate £500 doesn't buy a lot of re-training, but it does have to be 'training'. I can't spend it on track days, and I have to justify my reasons. I was contemplating being a track day racing instructor. These days women are getting more into track days and I thought a good female instructor might be a good move.

Pick a foreign language and get some one on one tuition.

That is a good idea and not something I have considered. Also, has just made me think I could learn an instrument also. Need to justify the potential career change though and not sure what I would use it for.

I was contemplating being a track day racing instructor. These days women are getting more into track days and I thought a good female instructor might be a good move.

As per my previous with regard to instruction and imho to add, you need wealth of experience to instruct unless you are naturally gifted, a female instructor will be niche market and not provide a living.

But, I love the concept of breaking down barriers with regards to females on track and know quite a few girls who would love to get out on track but feel out of their depth.

So put that £500 towards getting an outfit together that does female only track days.

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 1

Don't forget you don't only have to limit it to being a track day instructor. The girl at Mercedez Benz world who teaches you how to drive the off road stuff has an ARDS licence and does club racing. So there are other driving options rather than just track days/circuit racing. As I said at work though, you really need to get some track days under your belt and go out with some instructors to get a feel for it. Will also be a great opportunity to chat to them and pick their brains.

Something to think about as well is travelling. The instructor I know with Lotus and Honda's on track tends to do more Midland/Northern based circuits. Donington, Croft, Silverstone, Bedford. It's not worth him travelling further south. With your location, Brands and Thruxton are your main two circuits so cost of travelling and travelling time is going to be a factor and probably not worth it for the other uk circuits.

If you really wanted to get an ARDS and make some use out of it, what about doing sprints or hill climbs? Ok, you won't make any money from it and you will need to buy a sprint car (MX5 ?? :)) but it would be fun. I am assuming you need an ARDS to do sprints and hill climbs??

If you wanted something Motorsport related, then what about marshalling?? No idea what training or cost is involved if any but if there is, then I'm sure work might swallow this a bit easier. I have spoken to a few friends who have done marshalling and they have all enjoyed it. I guess the good side is you could Marshall during the week at track days/test days as a stop gap. It just might mean you have to do weekends also at race meets. I imagine there is zero money in it and it's done for love of it but just another idea to throw out there.

:)

Pick a foreign language and get some one on one tuition.

That is a good idea and not something I have considered. Also, has just made me think I could learn an instrument also. Need to justify the potential career change though and not sure what I would use it for.

Without knowing your circumstances (mortgage, U.K. based responsibilities) it may not be possible, but given the chance you pick somewhere you like on the map, get capable in the local, combine it with a TEFL qualification and the world's your lobster!

As per JP above, the female only track work could be a great opportunity, I'd bet there's women who'd much rather have a crack on a single sex day/event (not to mention a few blokes who'd have no problem taking female tuition). A quick Google and some emails to tracks would tell you how many are out currently there on offer and if there are women asking on forums or contacting them with enquiries. It wouldn't cost a bean to do some legwork and get an idea if there's a market big enough to support a salary after costs.