What would you buy for GTR money?

-G-

If I couldn't get the R35 GTR for whatever reason then I'd quite like any of the following...

• Porsche 911 MK997 Carrera 4S
  • Porsche 911 MK996 Turbo
  • Audi R8 (if one came into budget which I suspect it wouldn't)
  • Nissan 370Z Nismo Edition (plus some "goodies" from some of the traders on here to make it have a bit more go. :evil: )
  • Noble M12
  • TVR Cerbera 4.5Ltr V8 (my old man used to have one when I was younger & I always fancied one)
  • Dodge Charger R/T 1969 (again if one came into budget)
  • Jaguar XKR (supercharged V8 RWD ~ what's not to like :D )
  • Lotus Exige S2
  • Lotus Exige S3 (if one in budget)
  • Toyota Supra Turbo (specifically one with an engine like this: http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/toyota/supra/toyota-supra-widebody-1000hp/5110576?v=B)

I could go on but don't worry I won't. :lol:;)

Interesting that whilst there is a healthy amount of mixed views - wouldn't it be boring if we all felt the same?

Not one person suggested a new zed :)

Technically - thats exactly what I did buy instead! A whitey to go with blackie :-D

Would An Audi RS6 not meet the OPs idea as enthused about ,show meets and performance ,as im currently a bit tempted .the 35k woul be face lifted 2010 with the v8 lambo engine throw some decats at it if its not allready loud enough and the upside is its a useable car all round plus can carry the family .

just a thought as no one has thrown it in the mix

Interesting thread, very similar views as were on my thread a few months ago http://www.350z-uk.c...something-else/

I'm still totally torn what to do! I'm getting frustrated now as I hate not having a car!

My situation is a little different as I work away for a few weeks at a time so will be in the garage, then when I'm home for a few weeks would need to be usable daily. That rules out a classic for me, or I would seriously consider a 67-69 Camero or 240/250z. It also rules out Cobras etc as it needs to be usable all year in all weather.

Investment wise it'd be a TVR or Porsche 911. but the missus hates both of them unfortunately.

Yesterday I test drove a Stage1 GT-R and I have to admit I was blown away how good it was! I really didn't expect to like it as much as I did and I'm now VERY tempted by one.

A few days before I drove the Aston 4.3 V8 Vantage. It was lovely, really classy, lovely nose (of course), quality interior and handled really well on the b-roads. I was impressed. It felt really special. However, it definitely lacked some low-end torque but I thought I might be able to live with it as having to rev the V8 to get full benefit was worth it.

I wrote about my Maserati 4.2 Granturismo test in my thread above.

My thoughts at the moment are if spending up to £35k it'll be the Aston. 35k - 45k = GT-R or 4.7 Granturismo. I just need to try the 4.7 Maser now then make a final decision. lol

GT-R is winning right now though so if the right one came up I'd probably jump.

• Like 1

With the hard time I've given (bad) Audi Drivers in Aberdeen (Of which there are many) I wouldn't be able to live with the shame of driving one I'm afraid. RS6's are Superbly built cars though. Proper stealth-supercar.

FB_IMG_1452111879140_zpsb9ydpso1.jpg

Edited by -G-
  • Like 1

Good call on the Charger , I'd have one for £35k as well :) they go for three times that though

One of my mates had a '72 , it was subtle ;) lol

4864.jpg

2 words: leaf springs

never been a huge fan of the american muscle stuff. I can appreciate it but it's just too...American. and who wants that?!

Investment wise it'd be a TVR or Porsche 911. but the missus hates both of them unfortunately.

Unless she's paying for it, she doesn't get a say ;)

:lol:

This is true but the benefit of having her on board, is that when things go wrong and I'm spending ££ she can't say "I bloody told you not to get that stupid Porsche/TVR! " ;)

Honda NSX is an excellent shout for a fast, desirable, interesting car and not too far out of budget. I'm sure I saw Jurgen at JM selling an NSX last year that was at SCS for approx £36k

http://jm-imports.co.uk/index.php/1990-honda-nsx-route-k-widebody-5-speed-manual/

Unfortunately the brother of the friend who has the Top Secret GTR has one already and would unfriend me instantly if I'd dared think of buying one!

• Like 1

Honda NSX is an excellent shout for a fast, desirable, interesting car and not too far out of budget. I'm sure I saw Jurgen at JM selling an NSX last year that was at SCS for approx £36k

http://jm-imports.co...5-speed-manual/

Unfortunately the brother of the friend who has the Top Secret GTR has one already and would unfriend me instantly if I'd dared think of buying one!

Dont forget the noise! And who needs friends when you have an NSX :lol:

Love the widebody kit btw.

Edited by Deano94

This is an interesting thread. I never replaced my zed after selling it although I banked the capital as a deposit for when I next got back into the car scene. New house and marriage have taken precedent since selling up.

I always thought my next car would be a R35 GTR and it still could be as I think they are the business but what puts me off is the fact is it would purely be a weekend car. I sometimes think I'd get much more out of an s2 exige as a weekend toy and I believe running costs would be considerably cheaper.

I saw your mates Top Secret GTR at the ingestion car show - that car is a beast! Does he not have another GTR too? Quite a young guy? What business is he in as I am moving profession! lol

I saw your mates Top Secret GTR at the ingestion car show - that car is a beast! Does he not have another GTR too? Quite a young guy? What business is he in as I am moving profession! lol

That's right, he has a bayside Blue R34 GT-R VSpecII with a top secret built RB26DETT - I dunno about young but hes certainly younger than me haha!

I was at ingleston in the same Club Turismo stand between the white TEG & the Micra Pickup. We had a sweet lineup :-)

He's in oil & gas like me but more project engineering for subsea etc than the operation & maintenence side I do.

If you're there this year come by and say hello, I think we're all going again :-)

Not one of these "if I won the lottery" type questions, as this will require a bit more thought regarding the budget.

You have 2008/9 GTR Money burning a hole in your pocket (£35k) - you fancy a new car for driving on the weekends & taking to shows. meets & generally enjoying - what would you buy?

To get back to the OP question, ie, 'you fancy a NEW car', there's only one for your money that will be reasonably powerful, rare, have presence, good GT qualities and meet the budget for a NEW car, look no further than a Mustang!

All the other stuff, as Super Stu pointed out are second hand, ancient and probably will never be off the garage ramp! For another £7-8k, add a Whipple/Roush supercharger and you have a super car, with more performance (well BHP), than an £80k GTR.

I love the GTR, and when I win the lotto, I'll have one, but it would be competing against 10 or 12 other marque's for garage space.

For the OP's budget for a NEW car, for weekends, with 3 year warranty, that will meet all the needs of weekend/meet use, look no further.

I start with Ford marketing Monday..... :lol:

Good call on the Charger , I'd have one for £35k as well :) they go for three times that though

4864.jpg

never been a huge fan of the american muscle stuff. I can appreciate it but it's just too...American. and who wants that?!

Hideous.....An extreme example of American excess, but strangely I quite like it :surrender:

Pete

• Like 1

996 Turbo is a bit fragile these days, it would be off the road getting fixed half the time :lol:

A 2014 model Cayman S would be my choice, its nearly as quick as a GTR in a straight line but is so much better to drive due to considerably lower weight. Ill be test driving an M2 in the near future too but dont imagine it will handle as well as the Porsche :)

Nearly.....but not quite.

Cayman S GT4 4.4 secs. 0-62 Top speed 174mph

GTR 2.8 secs. 0-62 Top speed 196mph

Source. Evo Magazine.

PS. I do quite like the design of the Caymans. Makes a nice departure from the toad like appearance of the rest of the range.

Edited by yankeesiter

The Lotus Evora S interests me, they can be had for that sort of money at the moment. I'm hoping they will be cheaper in a year or 2 now the new model has come out.

Evora S is a good shout but I'd want a 2012 or later. The new 400 is reportedly better in pretty much every respect and is one of the best sounding cars on the road today. As quite a few S owners seem to be trading up, a late model Evora S for £35K should be a realistic prospect very soon. The V6 Exige S can be had for not much over the OP's £35K figure too.

I'd be wary of a £35K GTR.

Edited by sipar69

4864.jpg

Some people wouldnt give you tuppence for "jap crap" it takes all sorts to make a world , I class myself as a petrolhead and can find something to like in pretty much any car

• Like 1