Shell v power or tesco momentum?

Jeff king

The base fuels may be very similar but Momentum contains much more ethanol than V power/nitro +

In that case, I've no idea if and when ethanol is added at Stanlow. All refined gasoline will have to be approved by the lab before it leaves Stanlow. This is fairly straightforward if you are only supplying for one customer but if you are supplying 5 or 6 customers with different specifications it means extra storage, extra lab technicians and higher costs. It was industry standard when I worked there for U.K refineries to distribute exactly the same stuff to different petrol stations, it may have changed but I somehow doubt it.

Pete

Maybe the different ingredients only exist in the marketing brochures? :shrug:

This was certainly true in the 60's and probably well into the 80's. The thing is, the specs for gasoline and indeed diesel are very tight and there's not an awful lot of room to make any real differences. As far as additives go, I worked on the original detergent that went into Shell Optimax and the treatment level was so incredibly low that you only needed 1ml in 40 litres of petrol. The main differences/problems in the 70's were water or rust in the underground storage tanks at petrol stations. This had a huge influence on drivers choice of which brand of fuel they filled up with or where they filled up.

Another thing these days is choice, it's 30 miles from our house to my step daughters house in Winsford, dual carriageway and A roads all the way, number of fuel stations....just one. Coming back from Telford a few weeks ago I drove 30 miles before I found somewhere to fill up.

Pete

The base fuels may be very similar but Momentum contains much more ethanol than V power/nitro +

In that case, I've no idea if and when ethanol is added at Stanlow. All refined gasoline will have to be approved by the lab before it leaves Stanlow. This is fairly straightforward if you are only supplying for one customer but if you are supplying 5 or 6 customers with different specifications it means extra storage, extra lab technicians and higher costs. It was industry standard when I worked there for U.K refineries to distribute exactly the same stuff to different petrol stations, it may have changed but I somehow doubt it.

Pete

Yeah, I'd like to see evidence of more ethanol. Like you say, if you want a specific recipe, the price goes up. There's no logic in Tesco asking for Shell petrol...with added anything, let alone ethanol.

• Like 1

I usually use Momentum as frankly Tesco is much cheaper than the Shell garages near where I live.

Though handily if I have to splash and dash there's a Shell garage on the outskirts of the village.

Interestingly since I've had the car and only run it on V-Power or Momentum the dodgy fuel gauge seems to have reduced the frequency of giving dubious readings.

I wondered if the fuel was cleaning the contacts up and improving perhaps the previous only was only using poverty fuel. ( thankfully she didn't seem the type to take it over 5k RPM on a regular basis)

Pete

Yeah, I'd like to see evidence of more ethanol. Like you say, if you want a specific recipe, the price goes up. There's no logic in Tesco asking for Shell petrol...with added anything, let alone ethanol.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=tesco+momentum+ethanol

Pete

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...omentum ethanol

Actually googling it brings up plenty of debate on forums from people citing 'their mate' who may or may not be an expert in the field, but no hard facts that I saw.

Pete

http://lmgtfy.com/?q...omentum ethanol

Mouthbreathers from what I can see. "Some bloke told me...", "I read some where that..."

Can you post a specific link from an authority that can substantiate the claim that Tesco fuel has more ethanol in it?