Shell v power or tesco momentum?

Jeff king

Both Tesco and V Power are 99 RON so just as good :thumbs:

I thought V power was 98.

Used both momentum and v-power and on the road can't say I have noticed an difference, but my pocket is a little better off with the former ;)

I thought they were both 99? I could be wrong though. Having said that I agree with you with pockets being better off on momentum - especially when tesco were running the "up to 20p off per litre" campaign!

Tescos petrol comes from Stanlow Oil Refinery in Ellesmere Port...owned and run by Shell - I used to work there

The petrol in Tesco pumps is Shell petrol.

The detergent packs are different, that's all.

Edited by Juggalo
  • Like 3

Tescos petrol comes from Stanlow Oil Refinery in Ellesmere Port...owned and run by Shell - I used to work there

The petrol in Tesco pumps is Shell petrol.

The detergent packs are different, that's all.

Correct, I should add that the Stanlow terminal supplies pretty well every garage in North Wales and the North West of England through a reciprocal agreement with the other major oil companies. Just the additive packages are slightly different. I also worked for Shell in a past life :) .

Pete

The base fuels may be very similar but Momentum contains much more ethanol than V power/nitro +

Ethanol can cause problems for some engines if not used regularly

http://www.fuel-testers.com/list_e10_engine_damage.html

I have no issues at all in using Tesco fuel in my daily but wouldnt use it in my zed as i only fill it once a month or so , but i err on the side of caution

Performance wise i'm not sure you would notice any difference between any super unleaded

It makes absolutely no sodding difference whether you use 97, 99 or 105 unless you've specifically mapped for it. As long as the fuel is made to the correct BS, and they all are, then that's all that matters.

The 350/370 wasn't made in the 1960s, so it'll be fine ;)

The base fuels may be very similar but Momentum contains much more ethanol than V power/nitro +

In that case, I've no idea if and when ethanol is added at Stanlow. All refined gasoline will have to be approved by the lab before it leaves Stanlow. This is fairly straightforward if you are only supplying for one customer but if you are supplying 5 or 6 customers with different specifications it means extra storage, extra lab technicians and higher costs. It was industry standard when I worked there for U.K refineries to distribute exactly the same stuff to different petrol stations, it may have changed but I somehow doubt it.

Pete

• Like 1

In that case, I've no idea if and when ethanol is added at Stanlow. All refined gasoline will have to be approved by the lab before it leaves Stanlow. This is fairly straightforward if you are only supplying for one customer but if you are supplying 5 or 6 customers with different specifications it means extra storage, extra lab technicians and higher costs. It was industry standard when I worked there for U.K refineries to distribute exactly the same stuff to different petrol stations, it may have changed but I somehow doubt it.

Pete

Maybe the different ingredients only exist in the marketing brochures? :shrug: