Civic type R

Zeezeebaba

Surely that is ripe for modding? Grind out the blanks, replace with backing mesh? (if you like that sort of thing)

Yep that's what I'd do. ;)

When I looked it didn't look like they were totally blocked/blanked off but I only had a quick look so might have been. :shrug:

I'm much more appalled at the £33k price, OUCH!

Yep it is f**ked up that bit. :thumbdown:

EP3 Civic Type R approx £16K when new

FN2 Civic Type R approx £19K when new

New FK2 Civic Type R approx £32K :blink:

It is a nice car I thought but yeah have to agree with you Stu there is no way I'd pay that much for it. Maybe if it was 4wd and quicker 0-60 then it might justify it a bit more.

I'm much more appalled at the £33k price, OUCH!

Yep it is f**ked up that bit. :thumbdown:

EP3 Civic Type R approx £16K when new

FN2 Civic Type R approx £19K when new

New FK2 Civic Type R approx £32K :blink:

It is a nice car I thought but yeah have to agree with you Stu there is no way I'd pay that much for it. Maybe if it was 4wd and quicker 0-60 then it might justify it a bit more.

Makes you wonder how mazda have been knocking the mx5 out for so many years without much of a change in price:

1990 £14250

2015 £18495

Seems to be the general trend though, i was shocked by the price of the gt86 when that was released.

Think i would take a base 5.0 V8 Mustang at a grand more.

Edited by Jetpilot

I saw a regular Civic today, and I think I've figured out the main problem with the CTR. It's not the chav tat they've stuck onto it that's made it so damn ugly, it's the fact that the stock car is one hideous, bulbous design in the first place! :lol:

Seriously, go take a look at one, they're awful. I know Civics have never been lookers, but this really isn't pretty at all. I kinda feel bad for mocking the CTR designers now, having seen what they had to start with they probably couldn't have done any better.

I saw a regular Civic today, and I think I've figured out the main problem with the CTR. It's not the chav tat they've stuck onto it that's made it so damn ugly, it's the fact that the stock car is one hideous, bulbous design in the first place! :lol:

Seriously, go take a look at one, they're awful. I know Civics have never been lookers, but this really isn't pretty at all. I kinda feel bad for mocking the CTR designers now, having seen what they had to start with they probably couldn't have done any better.

I said that earlier in this thread. In less words and with less enthusiasm :lol: but yea it's an ugly car to start with nothing will make it look better

I had my test drive last weekend in the new Type R. My local place has the blue Type R as the demo vehicle but when I mentioned I wanted the polished metal paintwork she took me to the warehouse where they had one ready for a customer, which is the colour I want.

I'm not a turbo fan, I would happily sacrifice some power for the way a n/a drives but as all modern cars are going that way I needed to see what they were like. It hasn't really changed my mind to be honest.

Exterior - It does look very aggressive and in proportion, however I do not like the fact that the rear end is not as wide as the front. The rear arches and back end have been talked about a lot and to me, it is a let-down still, Is it enough to put me off owning one, no.

Interior - The seats are epic, even for a fat bastard like me smile.gif comfortable and hold you in place. To me the downside is the pattern and material on the front seats and the fact the rears are different, I was told that I can have them trimmed in leather, so that is something I will be looking into.

Suspension - speaking to the sales woman I pointed out I wanted a slightly longer test drive on some bumpy A and B roads as that is where I will be driving it along with motorway, she was great and changed the route to suit my needs. In normal setting the car is as close to being perfect as it can be for what I want from a car. +R you can feel the instant change and on the bumpy roads I would never press that button but 99% of the time there would be no need to.

Noise - To me the interior sound is great at low revs, but when the last 1-1500rpm the engine noise takes over and it’s not 'nice', sadly at that point you cannot hear the exhaust anymore, so that would need to be sorted.

Driving - I love n/a cars, the response you get it hard to beat, sadly it is noticeable it’s a turbo in the Type R but it’s not awful, it does pull from low down but you feel yourself waiting for the power to build, not my preference. One thing I didn't like is pulling onto a dual carriageway 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear the car is pulling all over the road on power. Is that the power, tyre size or suspension I don't know but when I got back into the S2000 and drove it hard and realised just how civilised it actually is considering how fun it is as well.

Have I signed the order forms, no

• Like 2

£32k is a lot, but those cars couldn’t put down anything like (an alleged) 7:50-8min time at the Ring though. The new CTR is a huge step-up in performance. Turbos mean they’ll be remapped to 350-375bhp without too much outlay which would make it really fast if the diff could handle torque.

Also bear in mind that its forebears were launched under a different interest rate regime where you’d probably be paying 8-10% rather than 0-5% APR now. Makes a big difference to the 90% of buyers who get these on lease/PCP.

Had a sniff around a blue one the other day and it looked OK but the styling is a bit gash. Interior nice but next to a Golf it doesn’t stack up well (then again, what does). Would probably work best in black to hide that hideous shape.

£32k is a lot, but those cars couldn’t put down anything like (an alleged) 7:50-8min time at the Ring though. The new CTR is a huge step-up in performance. Turbos mean they’ll be remapped to 350-375bhp without too much outlay which would make it really fast if the diff could handle torque.

i would be curious to see what a production type R does at the ring

Some constructive and we'll deserved criticism so far plus some positive views.The car is without doubt a marmite item, I'm not overly keen on some of the styling aspects but as I've said until I have a test drive sorted judgement is reserved.

At the end of the day it's a front drive hatch and judging by the motoring press reaction a very good one.

I've never been one consumed by image or followed the crowd, I've never fallen for silly banter and unlike most I've disliked VAG products after the demise of the Mk2 Golf and everything since has felt anodyne in comparison.

Honda made a big deal out of saying the Ring car was standard but I expect it had a cage or similar and like every other manufacturer that tests there a few tweaks to enhance things.

Strangely my comparison isn't going to be based on a rear drive sports car but another hatch that I drove last year that was so impressive I nearly bought one, as strange as this concept may be to some of you my fave hot hatch at the moment is the cheap and underpowered Fiesta ST. It's a belter of a car, beautifully balanced and smile inducing :)

Edited by Zeezeebaba

It did have a cage, and the AC and rear seats removed. It was also a prototype too, so likely sticky tyres and a dollop of extra power.

Also a racing bucket seat and harnesses and audio speakers removed

At least seat and Renault time are bit more realistic keeping original seats and seat belts

So all is not as it seems here. Reading the official blurb from Honda the weight of the roll cage was offset by the removal of the drivers seat, door speakers etc. So basically it was an exact copy of the production car engine wise etc but items were removed to counteract the addition of the roll cage.

Also judging by the various road tests I've seen it sounds plausible this car weight wise and power wise wasn't fettled as much as the doubters seem to think myself included.

• Like 1

Even if the weight was the same, the rigidity would've been massively improved by the cage. That's a huge performance boost.

No chance that was a standard engine, Honda had too much relying on the time to take a chance. Blueprinted at the very least, if not with the wick turned up. Look at the lengths Seat had to go to just to catch the Renault, Honda haven't produced anything decent for years so to expect them to crack it at the first attempt by playing it 100% is a tad naive.

Even if they'd come within a couple of seconds that's would've been a great achievement, but too many people buy cars based on Ring times these days sadly, so it was either beat the time at all costs or lose sales. Maybe I'm just a bit cynical, but that's how I see it. Same way I don't think the P1 beat the 918 round there, there's too much face to lose if you don't trump it.

• Like 2