New brakes, for OEM price?

Mikevv

Hi guys, I recently got a Zed for the first time ( YAY!!! ) It's an 07 '56 model car, and has Brembo's so I'm not sure what to get. Never cut corners on maintenance so OEM is good enough for me, but if I can get higher grade for similar prices I'll take that too :)

I was thinking it might need new discs with pads for both the front and rear, and I was wondering what you could recommend?

It's purely a street/daily car, with the odd Sunday blast so stock brakes work fine for me, but I was thinking of going for slotted/drilled/grooved as they look the dogs danglies IMO

Can you give me a few options if you don't mind?

I've seen some Pagid discs and they're about £60 a corner on Eurocarparts, but this is my 2nd car in my life so I'm not 100% sure if Pagid is a good enough brand. I've seen mixed reviews saying some Pagids aren't even made by Pagid themselves half the time!!!

What do you guys think of the Diamond 12G discs? They seem around £75 a corner for the front which is okay for me. Do they stay black, or does that rub off like most of these "colour" finishes?

As I said, I don't need high end track discs like DBA's but better than oem for oem price is the really appealing prospect :D

Now onto pads, I've seen Eurocarparts, again, have Pagid pads for £30 a corner

Not entirely sure if you guys think it's a bad idea to get something around that price?

Any advice would be appreciated, and as it won't be for a while I can always wait for a good deal with the traders on here... hint hint ;)

I'm sorry if this has been discussed before, but the options I found on the forum apart from the Diamond discs were a bit expensive, for what I would realistically use anyway. NOT THAT BRAKES ARE EVER TOO GOOD!!!

I have been looking over the past month's and picked up the following recommendations -

Pagid discs with either EBC red stuff pads or Ferodo DS2500 pads.

Also, you can get combi deals on ebay i.e. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nissan-350z-350-z-roadster-G35-front-grooved-brake-discs-and-brembo-pads-TX066-/251438653818?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3a8ae9617a#ht_895wt_1275

Looks like I'm going for Black Diamond G6s and forgotten the pads but works out too £400 for the lot. Definitely happy with that, Mods/Admins please do with this as you wish, maybe someone will comment more suggestions n find this useful, but I think there are enough threads already.

Pm Ewen at Clark Motorsport

Got my Ferrodo DS 2500 from Zmanalex at a good price. :)

Clark Motorsport a trader on here for any brake parts, awesome/rapid service and excellent advice.

This right here is what I hate about this site, the blatant trader shilling!

The OP started a topic asking for Brake options/opinions and PRICES and yet half of the replies are nothing more than advertisements of "PM my favourite trader". Seriously why, are you guys shareholders? :rant:

The OP started a topic asking for Brake options/opinions and PRICES and yet half of the replies are nothing more than advertisements of "PM my favourite trader". Seriously why, are you guys shareholders? :rant:

At least two of those things that the OP asked for can be obtained from the aforementioned traders. Granted these replies aren't offering a direct answer to query posed but they are offering a suggestion of where to gather that information from. I fail to see your issue here.

Incidentally, this place is only still here (in its current free-to-use form) because those traders fund it. ;)

• Like 5

Most people have found the traders on here to supply decent products at decent prices so that is why they get recommended so much, they also help fund the forum through their trader fees so it stays free for the rest of us. Can't see your problem with recommending a decent reliable business for parts. :shrug:

• Like 3

Pm Ewen at Clark Motorsport

Got my Ferrodo DS 2500 from Zmanalex at a good price. :)

Clark Motorsport a trader on here for any brake parts, awesome/rapid service and excellent advice.

We are here to provide a service and personally I offer advice on what I know works not what I make the most margin on. I regularly sell CL brake pads over Ferodo for guys going serious on track as I have personally used them and know they work, I make far less on CL's but its not all about the profit margin.

Selling car parts will never make me rich but its an industry I love and i'm a car enthusiast just like you guys :)

• Like 4

Part of the beauty of forums like these is that you have traders who have dealt with many of the forum members for many years. I for one would rather recommend one of them over an ebay seller regardless of how good their feedback is. More often than not the trader s on here will provide you with better information & at better prices too.

• Like 3

Hmm ok allow me to perhaps explain my earlier post.

I have no issue with forum traders, or recommending forum traders and I'm certainly in no form of denial about what excellent service they provide. The point I was trying to highlight is that when a topic is created asking for opinions/prices (not recommendations) and the responses are all largely trader promotions, it kills any form of discussion. Why even use a forum If theres no discussion happening and people are merely repeating the same tired "PM my favourite trader" responses?

Hopefully I've explained It a little better this time.

Edited by Sargara
  • Like 1

I have no issue with forum traders, or recommending forum traders and I'm certainly in no form of denial about what excellent service they provide. The point I was trying to highlight is that when a topic is created asking for opinions/prices (not recommendations) and the responses are all largely trader promotions, it kills any form of discussion. Why even use a forum If theres no discussion happening and people are merely repeating the same tired "PM my favourite trader" responses?

I see what you're saying it is always good to get end users feedback as well, I do try and encourage that when people come back to me and say they were happy with such and such a product I will always say post their findings on the forum for others to read.

I think the only danger with a forum can be when people repeat things they have read or heard about a product passing it off as their own opinion when they don't actually have any direct experience of the product.

So yes I see the point you are making :)

Edited by Ewen@Clark Motorsport
  • Like 1

I refer to my earlier response; it's no good me saying "Y & Z are exactly what ou need, you can get them for £x" when the person I bought them from has changed their prices since I bought from them. Even less use if I make absolutely without any reference to where that's from!

Those quoting 'contact the traders' aren't stating that, that is the only way obtain the information asked for, merely just one source of that information (especially on prices, as no one but the trader can state the price they sell anything for with any certainty). There's nothing stopping you, for example, offering your own opinion alongside those saying contact the traders. Other than you chosing not to do that, of course...

• Like 1

A huge chunk of the benefits of being on here is to hear about the good experiences people have had buying items that you yourself then need to purchase, particularly as it's more or less a single model forum :shrug:

The rest is a mix of "bantz", watching Dan go mental about mixed rubber or 'lack of involvement' or eating something big, Gang waxing lyrical about EVs, people going mad for/against stance or for/against Jeremy Clarkson, Darren's gorgeous 240, Zed Shed activity and that thread with the stuff that looks like people :lol:

For brakes OP, DBA T2 discs + Ferodo DS2500 pads are working for me, if you don't mind a little squeal at first.

• Like 5

A huge chunk of the benefits of being on here is to hear about the good experiences people have had buying items that you yourself then need to purchase, particularly as it's more or less a single model forum :shrug:

The rest is a mix of "bantz", watching Dan go mental about mixed rubber or 'lack of involvement' or eating something big, Gang waxing lyrical about EVs, people going mad for/against stance or for/against Jeremy Clarkson, Darren's gorgeous 240, Zed Shed activity and that thread with the stuff that looks like people :lol:

For brakes OP, DBA T2 discs + Ferodo DS2500 pads are working for me, if you don't mind a little squeal at first.

Don't forget the pet thread, that's always a winner lol

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Back on topic.

Genuine Nissan rotors and pads are silly money, so the world is your oyster for new after market brakes at OEM prices.

Alex. :)

That was my thoughts exactly as I priced some up from Nissan last year. Was about £600 for the fronts alone! Haha

There's some rears going cheap on the bay at the moment not sure wether there JDM or Brembo though.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=191574783200&globalID=EBAY-GB

Edited by SHEZZA

As a previous simple member of the forum for a few good years before I became a trader, just to add on what others have covered already, I liked and still love the community spirit in here with members and traders offering free advice and helping fellow zedders in need, with some of the traders going above and beyond or the extra mile as they say.

One thing I never liked is the "PM me for price" reply you get from some traders, but I can see that changing into a more open market now days. The price should be the same for everyone, so can't see why you need to PM instead of just posting the price up so other interested can see it.

Now back on topic, from my experience on both 350z and 370z best combo was DBA discs and DS2500 pads. Both available from TORQEN at probably the best price in UK. :)

• Like 2

As a previous simple member of the forum for a few good years before I became a trader, just to add on what others have covered already, I liked and still love the community spirit in here with members and traders offering free advice and helping fellow zedders in need, with some of the traders going above and beyond or the extra mile as they say.

One thing I never liked is the "PM me for price" reply you get from some traders, but I can see that changing into a more open market now days. The price should be the same for everyone, so can't see why you need to PM instead of just posting the price up so other interested can see it.

Now back on topic, from my experience on both 350z and 370z best combo was DBA discs and DS2500 pads. Both available from TORQEN at probably the best price in UK. :)

And that price is ????????

• Like 1