Newbie from Newbury(ish)

Hello all,

I'm new here. This has been a valuable forum for the best car choice anyone can make (just getting some brownie points in the bank) and the buyers guides were excellent for this car, and in fact guidance for buying any used motor.

I've purchased this 2004 GT:

post-25583-0-62850700-1433279704_thumb.jpg

Last owner installed the newer version of the rear lights which really updates and improves the look of the rear end:

post-25583-0-77281800-1433279699_thumb.jpg

Driver seat leather is worn. I've seen Scuffmaster (http://www.liquidlea....com/scuffs.htm) to recondition the leather - anyone have experience of it?

post-25583-0-02214800-1433279709_thumb.jpg

It's got a bitchin' stereo system with bluetooth connectivity, USB, hands free and all that jazz that I haven't figured out yet.

post-25583-0-08894700-1433279696_thumb.jpg

She drives lovely. Once the rear tyres need replacing (this may not be long after my first 'proper' drive this evening...) I would like the wheels refurbished.

I think the fuel gauge does not reflect reality so that'll need looking at.

I also looked at a 2006 (~£500 tax) car with a missing undertray and a shoddy interior, the dealer wanted £9999! He gave it all the nonsense about being a rare sought after car that he can't sell enough of etc., with which my reply was it's been for sale for 3 months. There was some sales pitch about the car having an RAC mechanical check but it didn't pick up it was missing the undertray. Another one I looked at had loud exhausts (awesome but a bit chavvy for me) and a strange feeling clutch (felt strong but bite point was very high indeed) and didn't seem to drive that well. There was a puff of blue smoke on start up and I noticed in the very comprehensive service history, for which I was impressed, the car was investigated for overheating. Perhaps that should be one receipt that gets mislaid...

This one I ended up with is really nice to drive and although a few minor cosmetics and a couple of minor niggles [hopefully fixable] I'm quite pleased.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Welcome aboard and nice looking Zed (great to have the updated LED tail lights B) ). :welcome:

Re: the inaccurate fuel gauge ~ very common issue. Mine's fubar but I've learnt to live with it. There is a fix though so here's the guide if you want to attempt it yourself: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/54763-how-to-fix-the-inaccurate-fuel-gauge-pdf/

;)

• Like 1

Thank you chaps (and any chapesses).

No mod plans at present, just some general tidying up. Might go as far as grit blasting or powder coating the aluminium plenum cover which currently looks a little tatty!

Thank you chaps (and any chapesses).

No mod plans at present, just some general tidying up. Might go as far as grit blasting or powder coating the aluminium plenum cover which currently looks a little tatty!

Yep mine looked rough too so I painted it ~ link below.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...plenum-painted/

That was over a year ago and it still looks great now. :thumbs:

Edited by GMballistic

• 2 months later...

I have completed the fuel sender fix and it seems to work properly now. There was no visible dirt on the resistors but a resistance measurement revealed only very slightly erratic readings so cleaned them up anyway and checked that the readings were subsequently correct. Hardest bit was getting the fuel pump back in - I wasn't sure if the fuel hose was sitting underneath it but with a bit of wiggle I could feel the base of the pump was on the bottom.

Took it up to see some friends in Aylesbury and they were very complimentary and envious of the car :teeth:.

Edited by Alex HMB

• 1 month later...

I've been a busy little zed owner recently.

Oil and filter change, new discs and pads, cleaned up the calipers and pistons, cleaned in the wheel arches and underneath the car, had the wheels refurbished, new Goodyear Eagle F1s all round. £££ :wacko:

Changed the spark plugs too, I think these were original... at 70k miles! See photo - they look a little worn. If anyone can do diagnosis based on the photo please do! Engine idles silky smooth now - on the original plugs it wasn't rough as such, just slightly less than silky smooth in comparison.

Brakes, unworn!

20150823_165156_zpsdm774slr.jpg

Wheels refurb'd and new tyres:

20150825_184407_zpslqqentmu.jpg

Old plug, possibly original:

spark%20plug2_zpscln9v1da.jpg