How to - Fix the Inaccurate Fuel Gauge (.pdf)

SteveW

Here you go folks.

Please bear in mind all the precautions you should take when working with petrol.

We do not want any accidents

stretcher.gif

I would suggest you Start with just cleaning the pump sender and seeing if it fixes your issues, this is the primary one. Also in the service manual it tells you the resistance specs of the sender for testing.

Good Luck!!!

Fixing the FuelGauge.pdf

Edited by SteveW
  • Like 5

For further info Alex sells the tank O Rings, I've just ordered two off him, instead of tapping up Nissan, one for each side.

So if you need them :pmzmanalex: (I assume the other suppliers on here will also do them)

They are £12.50 each.

I'm getting towards the bottom of the tank now and the gauge still seems to be working :thumbs:

Will keep this thread updated as the fuel gets used.

Gauge is definitely fixed let it run right down and the gauge and fuel computer worked as expected down to 5 miles DTE at which point I brimmed it.

Fuel gauge went right up to top above the full mark and computer predicted 390 miles remaining as it used to when I first got the car.

Sweet! New O Rings also fitted and tank holds pressure again :thumbs:

Brilliant Steve :thumbs:

Mine is as bad as yours (54 plate) but I've got a Scangauge fitted which is pretty well spot on but it still annoys the cr*p out of me :bang: I've book marked this and I'll be giving this a go when the weather warms up a bit, thanks again :thumbs::thumbs:

• 2 months later...

I really appreciate you making this guide, this problem has plagued the states cars for years it seems, there is a guide over here, but it's not quite as good as yours ;)

I think it's possibly the sulphur content in the fuel, it's really crap over here compared to the UK, either way, it's a sucky fault, manifests itself in various ways, but it's all the same thing.

Ironically, mine is an '04 as well, really needs this doing, once it gets to a quarter tank, it drops like a stone, but then will recover and do the same thing over the course of the next few days driving until i really don't know how much is left in the tank :(

• 2 weeks later...

In the US, it seems to be a general fault, and as i said, there seems to be more cases of it here. Of course that could be down to a number of things, more Z's here, more vocal people here etc etc.

Anyway, no one seems to know about the cause, just that it's dirt on the sensors, perhaps fuel related, perhaps even ethanol in the fuel related, which is way more prevalent in the states and has been for years.

I think i will need to do this soon my gauge is a way off...the light came on the other day so i filled it up but only managed 50l of fuel?? These tanks hold 80l right?

Can someone tell me the o-ring size required (cord ø x inside ø?) i might be able to get some from work...Cheers :)

• 4 weeks later...