Political correctness driving me mad

twobears

Am I the only one who is getting increasingly frustrated with people who claim to have intolerances or 'syndromes'. How come everyone and their wife/husband/partner is now intolerant of gluten/wheat/dairy or whatever? If you dare question these people you get accused of not understanding them and their dreadful problems and yet their intolerances can be switched on and off at will it seems or else how can someone who is gluten/dairy intolerant eat a bloomin' pizza whenever it suits them? This link made me laugh but might also get me arrested by the PC police

As for people who have generalised anxiety disorder and the like, er, I'm the biggest worrier in the world but I don't want or need a label to make me feel special. Heaven help me if I upset one of this brigade because they are very possessive of their self-diagnosed 'syndromes'.

Needless to say I feel sorry for anyone who is genuinely ill whether it is a physical or mental problem but claiming you are bi-polar because you feel happy some days and not so happy other days is ridiculous. I think the main problem that most of these people have is ASD or attention seeking disorder. Wonder how long that one takes to get into the DSM that these people are so fond of quoting?

• Like 3

Its hit and miss, have a friend who if she eats anything with cream or dairy in her stomach explodes up like she is 8 months pregnant in about 15 minutes - its very bizarre - but clearly she has a reaction to dairy and it causes her problems. Lets not forget we are drinking milk from another species of animal, if you sit and think about it that is a bit weird in itself.

But yes I do have another friend who has pretty much everything, I do think some of it is in her head though.

• Like 1

Your friend is obviously genuinely suffering coldel and I have sympathy for her because I have to confess that I am the same. It's really embarrassing to be asked when your baby is due :wacko:

I hate milk anyway but if I have to have it in food I just use the lacto free version so no-one is any the wiser about my 'syndrome' :lol:

Edited by twobears

My Mrs has Fibromyalgia which if you read up about it is not a very nice syndrome to have at all (can be in constant pain/muscles/joints & more). To look at her though you wouldn't think anything is wrong but she can be in pain all the time everyday and takes so many tablets you wouldn't believe.

The problem is as on the outside you can't see anything wrong so sometimes it can really p**s me off as people just don't see anything wrong like if she had a limp or physical disability so sometimes are so insensitive it is disgusting.

One day when she was in really bad pain and literally finding it hard to cope as she made her way home on the bus a woman tutted at her & said: "Aren't you going to move to let an older person sit down, I've had a hard day". :scare::angry:

Some people just love to profess their ills to the world in order to get sympathy or attention whilst others suffer in silence as not to burden their loved ones with the problems they tend to bear solely themselves. :dry:

• Like 1

GMballlistic, like I said, genuine illness sufferers have my full sympathy. I've got a medical issue too which is serious but that I don't tell anyone about because I don't want to whinge about my problems. It can be difficult when you feel rotten but look ok, like I do at the moment because I am on a high dose of steroids :dry: To hear someone banging on about their 'bloated stomach' when I can see it and it is actually as flat as a washboard does grate on me though. I've got loads of empathy for people who are ill and they can moan about their problems to me all they like if it helps but the ones with invented problems can go and whine on elsewhere I'm afraid.

GMballlistic, like I said, genuine illness sufferers have my full sympathy. I've got a medical issue too which is serious but that I don't tell anyone about because I don't want to whinge about my problems. It can be difficult when you feel rotten but look ok, like I do at the moment because I am on a high dose of steroids :dry: To hear someone banging on about their 'bloated stomach' when I can see it and it is actually as flat as a washboard does grate on me though. I've got loads of empathy for people who are ill and they can moan about their problems to me all they like if it helps but the ones with invented problems can go and whine on elsewhere I'm afraid.

Totally agree with you.

I love my Mrs & am so proud of how strong she is mentally as I don't think I could cope with what she goes through daily.

I'm guessing just like you ~ It boils my blood how some of these people just moan & profess these ailments most of which are purely figments of their own imaginations. :dry:

A bit like that video you linked which did make me laugh as I've known people that are just like that. :wacko:

Stay strong. :)

• Like 1

People feel more comfortable if they have something/someone to blame problems on. Hence, more diagnoses are being made simply to keep people quiet. Of course, there are some folks that genuinely fall into the category of being diagnosed correctly, and it's these people that end up suffering.

Sadly for the medical and psychological professions it's getting increasingly harder for people to understand that there is simply still a lot we don't fully understand about the human body, so they refuse to accept an answer of "We don't know what's wrong with you". They kick and scream so much that they end up being pigeon-holed for the sake of keeping them content.

Gulf war syndrome; and dare I say it, dyslexia ?

Ahhh time for a war story -

After the Gulf war I was shipped off to Northen Iraq then to the former Republic of Yugoslavia at this time I became very ill and they diagnosed me with Gulf war syndrome or PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder)

They were wrong - my condition got much worse so they ran some more tests and it was gastroenteritis (or extreme food poisoning)

Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing I just always wondered where the symptoms for the 2 cross over :lol:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 4

dare I say it, dyslexia ?

This and ADHD.

Okay if it's properly diagnosed I know either can be a actual problem, but it's the sheer number of people who simply claim to be one or the other because it's just easier for them than addressing their shortcomings.

• Like 1

The scientist who actually coined gluten intolerance has recently come out to say that it most likely doesn't exist!

However, I don't think it's as clear cut as that.

Globally we consume a ridiculous amount of processed food, made from very poor quality ingredients and a tonne of preservatives, enhancers and ultimately things we weren't designed to consume. Then there's the fact that almost everything that appears 'natural' has been meddled with in some way, whether it be genetic or otherwise.

It doesn't take a genius to see that more and more people are having digestive issues in recent times and it only makes sense, in my opinion, to look at probable cause for the effect. People's opinion will differ, but for me it's a bit of a no-brainer.

Gluten and dairy intolerance has given birth to an industry in itself, and a blanket term for people to identify with and blame, whether it be accurate or not.

Look after yourself, listen to your body and don't come down on people too hard, even if you think gluten/dairy/whatever intolerance is a load of bull - it's likely they're feeling the effect of something that's highly uncomfortable, whether the self terminology is correct or not. Although I do agree, there's absolutely no need to make a song and dance about it.

Edited by ts743
  • Like 1

My other half is a Special Needs Co-ordinator at a Primary school and her view is that theres just more awareness now, bear in mind we dont have retards, thickos or remedials anymore, we have scientific terminology ........... to be fair theres a lot to be said for making a distinction between an autistic child, a dyspraxic and a kid with ADHD as they all need to be treated differently.

I also believe that people who are telling you they are intolerant generally are intolerant - whether thats a product of genetic mutation, the diets we eat nowadays or the way you are treated and the food you eat as a baby I cant tell you, but I dont think people just make it up for attention.

People who tell you they are gluten intolerant then eat a pizza are morons, however.

My Mrs has Fibromyalgia which if you read up about it is not a very nice syndrome to have at all (can be in constant pain/muscles/joints & more). To look at her though you wouldn't think anything is wrong but she can be in pain all the time everyday and takes so many tablets you wouldn't believe.

The problem is as on the outside you can't see anything wrong so sometimes it can really p**s me off as people just don't see anything wrong like if she had a limp or physical disability so sometimes are so insensitive it is disgusting.

One day when she was in really bad pain and literally finding it hard to cope as she made her way home on the bus a woman tutted at her & said: "Aren't you going to move to let an older person sit down, I've had a hard day". :scare::angry:

Some people just love to profess their ills to the world in order to get sympathy or attention whilst others suffer in silence as not to burden their loved ones with the problems they tend to bear solely themselves. :dry:

I know how she feels on the travel side of things. I have various "invisible" illnesses which I'm on medication for which I won't bore you all with, but one of them is basically if I stand for significant periods of time (although if I am hot or anxious it can happen a lot sooner i.e. 5/10 minutes), the vagas nerve in my neck shuts off oxygen to my brain and I pass out (thankfully I have always come round shortly after!). I use the train and tubes for work and the amount of times I have had comments from pregnant ladies or the elderly about not giving up my seat (bearing in mind no one else is doing it either so not sure why I'm singled out), I really have to hold my tongue when it happens as with the pregnant ones all that comes into my head is "your pregnancy is your fault, my health conditions are not mine". Numerous times I have had to sit on the floor on a train and tube to stop myself from collapsing and have had no help from anyone just a few weird looks when I go pasty and my eyes roll into the back of my head. One time I did collapse against the train doors just as it was coming into a station and as the doors opened I fell out and landed on the platform and only then did anyone ask if I was ok!

• Like 2

I had AIDS last week but I went for a jog and sweated it out.

Seriously though there are lots of new illnesses floating around that back in the day people just got on with. Society is becoming rather soft overall.

• Like 3

I think the main problem that most of these people have is ASD or attention seeking disorder.

Kind of like constantly posting a load of random bollocks about yourself on a car forum? :p

I actually lolled when I read that ... sorry Annie :)

Ok, I get the message :byebye:

It beats posting endlessly about every little thing you have done to your car :lol:

As for syndromes & intolerances I agree it is just down to more information and knowledge being available due to the Internet, although I too think there are a growing number of people that think it is fashionable to have them too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok, I get the message :byebye:

although I too think there are a growing number of people that think it is fashionable to have them too...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Absolutely, a mate of mines ex decided she had ptsd, this was as a direct result of her friend having ptsd, strangely up until that point she was absolutely fine apart from perhaps as mentioned above she was an attention seeker. The reason for her alledged ptsd by the way was because of bad relationship, 8 YEARS previously.

I am not so sure It helps to persistenly label people, especially children as it segregates them from "normal" kids.

Edited by Jetpilot