The Zed Shed Part Deux Build still going

Keyser

Chris, surely it's only the sewer UNDER the garage that will be nuke proof - unless your reference to more over engineering means the rest of the building will be to the same spec !?!?

I am going to have to make an excuse to see this marvel of modern engineering once you've finished !!!

Mate we are digging out underneath when the floor has gone hard - parking for 2 more cars, nuclear bunker and easy access to mains drainage :lol:

(other than that technically you are correct this is a well protected pipe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

You sure the plans are the right way up and you're not building an end of the world bunker? :lol:

I think you may be onto something - it is most likely that to save time the engineer simply took a bunker design and flipped it, relabeled it "Garage" and charged me for the plans!!!

• Like 1

have you got spacer blocks under those cages ?

Yes - we now have 50mm spacer blocks and shuttering round them and continuity bars strapped in and dowels to existing conventional footings, the boys were even complimented by the BI (building inspector) on how clean the bottom of the trench was after being swept to remove any lose dirt that had fallen in - pictures available if required, and we can even supply a sample of the ground material at the base of the footings if you like (the engineer left one of his sample bags behind :lol: )

No corners cut on this job but I think there will be a new entry in the dictionary soon -

Money Pit - See Keysers back garden a large hole with thousands of pounds being poured in, quite literally!

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 2

you call that heavy reinforcement.... Pah... the beams I am currently working on have over 90 32mm horizontal bars in one section alone never mind the multiple 16mm shear links... oh and the 25mm sidebars

What for a single story garage???

• Like 1

So now we have the steel in the ground time for some concrete well I say some I mean a lot, no more than that :scare:

So we need to think a bit bigger than wheel barrows here!!

Just for confirmation -

S1051186_zpseonnn9ap.jpg

Spacers in :thumbs:

Now back to the concrete

S1051185_zpsqu4cejmq.jpg

Here it comes

S1051187_zpseevmic9w.jpg

S1051188_zpsumwxhimp.jpg

We made it :thumbs:

S1051189_zps8kooamgi.jpg

The biggest lorry we could find

S1051191_zpsgslpnret.jpg

S1051190_zpsocs1j1ar.jpg

he had to go back and fill up though!

Start Pumping

S1051192_zpsq7wydycr.jpg

All full :)

S1051193_zpsjqokdrfb.jpg

S1051194_zpsejhasclh.jpg

Only took 15 cubic meters :scare: :scare:

Let that go hard for a few days - bit more foundation work this weekend, let that all go hard and then we can start on the floor

Keyser

• Like 3

Let that go hard for a few days - bit more foundation work this weekend, let that all go hard and then we can start on the floor

Keyser

.... and more concrete (and probably more steel ?)

• Like 1

Keyser

.... and more concrete (and probably more steel ?)

O yes plenty more of both :scare:

So you made a river of concrete...... Hope you notified the necessary authorities :lol:

Also your widening of the drive way clearly wasn't enough for the big truck haha

Looking good and looks like steady progress is being made now. :thumbs:

Holy crap mate !! I've missed how big this "shed" is going to be but with that foundation spec you could go 3 stories high !!

Currently doing my own build that I thought was over spec'd but this take the biscuit.

Worst part is all the money it takes to get to a finished concrete slab to build from. Reckon I'll be sitting about £10-£12k :-0.

Good luck with the rest of the build - your decidedly doing a grand job !!

Paul

• Like 2

Good evening one and all :wave:

So today we decided to start on the Hot Tub - its not actually a Hot Tub :( but it is sort of a tub and we got hot and sweaty making it!!

This is another over-engineered piece it is also the last bit of the foundations :yahoo:

This is the "suspended" centre section of the garage basically another huge reinforced section that is suspended between the 2 long ground beams it creates a large area in the middle of the main garage that can take a load rating of at least 3 tons (car and small van rating) basically this is the bit that actually crosses over the sewer so has to be up to the job the rest of the garage, the workshop, is just behind the line but so close it had to be reinforced.

So with the assistance of Mrs K and Buster we started work -

We dug a big hole and filled the bottom with sand that took us until lunch time and it was hard work

S1051195_zpsugvlwd0u.jpg

As all work and no play makes Buster a sad boy we took the opportunity to play in the new sandpit :lol:

S1051196_zpsnqsofy3i.jpg

S1051197_zpsgynypsnd.jpg

In just a few minutes we had a miniature Zed Shed 2 :thumbs:

After playtime we put some DPC and concrete in the hole

S1051199_zpsfdqnjth3.jpg

I can't walk on water but wet cement I'll have a go :)

S1051200_zpse8gt6cas.jpg

all done ready for the re-bar tomorrow

S1051202_zpss4kvmmc4.jpg

To finish up the day we put some ducts in

S1051204_zpswzqtanvm.jpg

Removed the shuttering and cleaned and leveled the site

S1051203_zpswrioyizq.jpg

More soon

Keyser

• Like 3

Sh#t me that makes my new house renovation look easy ! Nice work as always keyser.

You're in then? Me too. B)

Moved in start of September ZEUS hence why I've been AWOL. :D

Was pouring some concrete myself today in my new garage sorting out some things, ...did think at 30kg of concrete that I'd done a lot today. Till I saw what Chris had been up to. :dry::lol:

Great work Keyser. ;)

• Like 3