The Zed Shed Part Deux Build still going

Keyser

Chris, I'm totally impressed ... is there anything you can't do ? ... heart transplant surgery perhaps ? ... or maybe making Christmas cakes ?

Why thank you kind sir none of it is rocket science, and who doesn't love driving big toys????

I also have Andy James who knows a bit about building (page 7 of the manual I think he is up to ;) ) to keep an eye on things.

As for the cakes they are not a problem here is last years -

KODC0092_zpse0b99caa.jpg

The Zed Shed chocolate surprise (the surprise was more chocolate inside :lol:

Heart surgery - Hmmm not tried it yet but if someone has a guide and wants me to try I'll give it a bash :lol:

I'll give pretty much anything at least one try - I suck at laying carpet for some reason though :wacko:

• Like 3

O dear - big snag today, went to get building regs approval and they have informed us we have a main sewer running across the back garden :scare:

This would require some major work to build foundations over so Plan B, C. and D were quickly discussed and discarded and plan F is now in force!

Our current cunning plan is to change the design from foundations to ground bearing slab - for those that don't know this basically means instead of digging strip foundations filling them with concrete then building walls up on them to create a box and putting a floor in it you build a huge solid slab of concrete thick enough and strong enough to support the weight of the garage - a huge raft if you will.

You then build straight up from this raft with the walls, the advantage here is that you don't dig foundations so do not need to disturb the sewer and only need permission to build over it - the real bummer is that although already agreed in principle that this is and acceptable solution it can take 3 weeks for the approval to come through from the water board and building regs won't inspect anything or let us proceed without said approval - hurry up and wait then!!!!

Of course the knock on affect is huge - if the build is delayed by 3 - 4 weeks then the weather will be against us before we complete it thus slowing us down further, we then won't be able to have the outside rendered until next year!!!! So it could mean the garage is not actually finished/useable until next spring, in which case I will actually go mad, as pointed out by Wasso his car is blocking me using my garage and even if it wasn't I can't use my garage as all my tools from the original 3 sheds are either stacked in the Zed Shed or locked in storage so I'm screwed whatever happens :(

I'm off to have a drink now - and I don't even drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Disgruntled Keyser :(

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 1

Beaulieu then on Sunday :p

Sorry to hear this mate, really not what you wanted :(

O yer I'm sure I would be a ton of fun to be with just now !!! NOT :p

Anyway I can't I still have to rebuild the fence between me and the neighbor - the one I removed to get space to NOT build a garage :rant:

is this a pumped main or a gravity sewer we're talking about here ? :dry:

Nothing special 6" (most likely) gravity sewer, had 30 plus tons of concrete removed in the last 2 days but I can't put any back until I pay a fee for a survey they know they cannot conduct approve a plan that has already been agreed in principle (and is a standard solution) and get a letter confirming I can carry on, Of course the fact that the same sewer runs through my next door neighbors garden and that fact that he built a swimming pool in his garden with no ill affect is completely immaterial as he didn't require planning for a pool even though he dug down 2m and filled the resulting hole with water - bet that weighs more than my garage!

Evening all, well can't do much on the garage just at the moment :dry:

So in a vain attempt to both keep you lot amused and impress ATTACK (sorry mate still not onto brain surgery yet ) :lol: I thought I would share our weekends work :thumbs:

Thought we would get the drive moving along and re-establish the boundary line with the neighbor so starting with a few posts and some sleepers to act as a retaining wall -

S1051098_zpsav7vgt7v.jpg

Some new posts at the other end as we cut out some of the hedge to improve access,

S1051100_zps6gtf39ex.jpg

used some steel base plates on top of the pillars in the old wall for the rest of the posts

S1051101_zpsgtql6y9z.jpg

then started on the rails,

S1051103_zpsyxlcbg4p.jpg

finished the rails and added some extra supports (you will see why in a mo)

S1051104_zpssre5q7kz.jpg

Then the board and some trellis

S1051109_zpssqqtccid.jpg

S1051107_zpsqfgmp15p.jpg

Pickup in the back garden for the first time :yahoo:

S1051108_zps6nkvhh2c.jpg

made a quick bed up for the honey suckle that will eventually grow up and over the trellis

S1051110_zpsgiz4wubm.jpg

The finished job (so far need the retaining wall finished before we can do any more)

S1051113_zpspzz826ra.jpg

S1051111_zpsbzrvxb91.jpg

S1051114_zpslt0d6iat.jpg

S1051112_zpsusnhwttm.jpg

Happy with that for a weekends work with just me and Mrs K :thumbs:

Hope you all had a good one :)

Keyser and the Zed Shed Crew

More Soon ..................

• Like 4

Nice fence :thumbs:Just wondering.. How will the neighbour get to his gas bottles when they are empty (assuming the caravan is static)? Looks very tight, and there are posts now - is there a gate?

Yep that's not going to be much fun trying to drag a 43kg gas bottle between that narrow fence & the caravan. :scare::lol:

Looks great though Chris. B):D

That's not my problem :lol:

It was a concrete block wall with pillars before so the posts are 1" less than the original pillar so I have actually given him more space - I'm so nice ;)

They are a tight fit and Richard my neighbor can roll / drag them down there, last year when he was away his wife did ask me to swap the bottles for her as she can't do it on her own, I said no of course :p

:lol: No I did it and it's not that bad 10 minutes of swearing saw the job done.

Chris, that's a crazy amount of soil and rubble shifted !

Amazing how you manage to turn the defeat over planning into the success of the fence in one weekend. I have no doubts once you get over this hurdle you will make up the time

How come the planners didn't know about the sewer before you started?

Still totally jealous of the space you have, my entire house AND garden would fit in your garden!

• Like 1

Chris,......

How come the planners didn't know about the sewer before you started?

Unfortunately that is the joy of groundwork. It can quite literally turn into a money pit and until you start excavations you never really know what you will find. Chris just has to be greatful he didn't find a load of bones of archaeological interest!

Great work by the way Chris!

Edited by leonk

So in a vain attempt to both keep you lot amused and impress ATTACK (sorry mate still not onto brain surgery yet ) :lol: I thought I would share our weekends work :thumbs:

Thought we would get the drive moving along and re-establish the boundary line with the neighbor so starting with a few posts and some sleepers to act as a retaining wall -

S1051098_zpsav7vgt7v.jpg

Some new posts at the other end as we cut out some of the hedge to improve access,

S1051100_zps6gtf39ex.jpg

used some steel base plates on top of the pillars in the old wall for the rest of the posts

S1051101_zpsgtql6y9z.jpg

S1051103_zpsyxlcbg4p.jpg

S1051104_zpssre5q7kz.jpg

S1051109_zpssqqtccid.jpg

S1051107_zpsqfgmp15p.jpg

S1051108_zps6nkvhh2c.jpg

made a quick bed up for the honey suckle that will eventually grow up and over the trellis

S1051110_zpsgiz4wubm.jpg

The finished job (so far need the retaining wall finished before we can do any more)

S1051113_zpspzz826ra.jpg

S1051111_zpsbzrvxb91.jpg

S1051114_zpslt0d6iat.jpg

S1051112_zpsusnhwttm.jpg

Chris and Kim I take my hat off to you both with what you have accomplished with the fence this weekend!

Can't wait to get to site tomorrow to start laying the 800 no concrete block retaining wall! Eeeek!

The weather is going to be hot this week so Busters stock of Pepsi Max cans in the fridge may go missing! Lol

• Like 2

S1051098_zpsav7vgt7v.jpg

S1051100_zps6gtf39ex.jpg

S1051101_zpsgtql6y9z.jpg

S1051103_zpsyxlcbg4p.jpg

S1051104_zpssre5q7kz.jpg

S1051109_zpssqqtccid.jpg

S1051107_zpsqfgmp15p.jpg

S1051108_zps6nkvhh2c.jpg

S1051110_zpsgiz4wubm.jpg

S1051113_zpspzz826ra.jpg

S1051111_zpsbzrvxb91.jpg

S1051114_zpslt0d6iat.jpg

S1051112_zpsusnhwttm.jpg

Chris and Kim I take my hat off to you both with what you have accomplished with the fence this weekend!

Can't wait to get to site tomorrow to start laying the 800 no concrete block retaining wall! Eeeek!

The weather is going to be hot this week so Busters stock of Pepsi Max cans in the fridge may go missing! Lol

Nah Bob has already had those mate :D