unleaded 95 or super 98 octane?

chips

That thread is only valid for the 350, isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that damage is caused by pre-detonation due to the lack of a knock sensor (Or mapping to use 95 RON). You won't get this same damage using 95 in a 370... but it won't be as powerful or fuel efficient. There is surely no danger to the engine from using 95 as the 370 is setup to use this as well as 98.

Happy to be told that I'm talking horsey poop. There seems to be a lot of scaremongering around this point which isn't necessarily valid for the 370. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use 95 if I had a 370, but doing so wouldn't cause any short or long term damage? :)

That thread is only valid for the 350, isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, but that damage is caused by pre-detonation due to the lack of a knock sensor (Or mapping to use 95 RON). You won't get this same damage using 95 in a 370... but it won't be as powerful or fuel efficient. There is surely no danger to the engine from using 95 as the 370 is setup to use this as well as 98.

Happy to be told that I'm talking horsey poop. There seems to be a lot of scaremongering around this point which isn't necessarily valid for the 370. Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't use 95 if I had a 370, but doing so wouldn't cause any short or long term damage? :)

No, you're right Paddy, but a lot of people haven't read the question.

I just posted the link as glrnet asked. :p

I'd still use Super Unleaded regardless of it being a 350 or 370 though, ...imo that's what I'd use in any performance based engine unless stated by the manufacturer not to do so. ;)

I have also never seen any damage caused by running on the wrong fuel :scare:

DSCF1733.jpg

DSCF1732.jpg

DSCF1734.jpg

However this was a VQ35DE the VQ37VHR (370 engine) is apparently mapped to allow for the use of standard but as said earlier it will reduce performance :thumbdown:

But if you are running on the cheap stuff you may get your name on the trophy :thumbs:

KODC0142_zps91c52751.jpg

:lol:

• Like 9

I appreciate that you and Ekona had the original question in mind as from what I found it in my looking about on this one here and internet search(as we all know if it's on the internet it must be true) I found there did seem to be a lot of as you very well put: 'IMO' type 'scaremongering' and then along with what I would say credible references(Nissan India and the Economist) saying it was ok which was why I put it out there for first hand examples.

Edited by chips

As indicated by Paddy78 and Ekona. You can use 95 RON petrol in the 370Z seemingly without any evidenced negative mechanical impact to the engine.

However; why one would not want to gain the performance or efficiency benefits from using the higher 98/99 octane fuels in a big engined Sports / GT car, I'm not sure.

In reality its not going to do the 370Z engine any harm as far as I'm aware, but also its only money, so why not spunk it on the super-duper fuel and get the benefits anyway :)

Edited by Bockaaarck

As indicated by Paddy78 and Ekona. You can use 95 RON petrol in the 370Z seemingly without any evidenced negative mechanical impact to the engine.

However; why one would not want to gain the performance or efficiency benefits from using the higher 98/99 octane fuels in a big engined Sports / GT car, I'm not sure.

In reality its not going to do the 370Z engine any harm as far as I'm aware, but also its only money, so why not spunk it on the super-duper fuel and get the benefits anyway :)

I guess if you are using your 370 as a daily and doing a commuter run then 95 might make sense if you never get the chance to put your foot down, but then the weekend might come and you still have 1/4 tank left :doh:

I think at the end of the day if you buy a 370z then you should have budgeted for 98 ron fuel, decent tyres, proper servicing etc etc etc

• Like 2

I use 97 RON in mine most of the time (Sainsburys or BP Ultimate). Its only because its nearer my work or where I shop.

I had the 50 mapped on 97 and that still made 300+ BHP at the fly on a DE engine. Just a heads up for those who are worried about 97 Vs 99.

If you are using it for a commute, and stuck in traffic, never getting to put your foot down then you have bought the wrong car surely? Especially if you are then shirking on the cost of fuel. Sell the zed, buy a 3 series beemer and be done with it. Never understood why anyone would spend a serious amount of money on a car then when it comes to something so key to its performance and lifespan risk it and save themselves a couple of quid when filling up.

Edited by coldel

I wouldn't run it on a car that wouldn't benefit from it. The MR2 pre-turbo only used to get 95, as there was no point in wasting money on super for an extra 1bhp.

I don't use it for the HP benefit, just to know I am putting the best quality fuel in the car. I would never use supermarket fuel either.

Pretty sure Supermarket high ron fuel is 'good enough' for the car, as well as BP Ultimate etc etc. Is VPower significantly better fuel? Who knows. Marginally it might be but we really are into tiny differences I would suspect.