unleaded 95 or super 98 octane?

chips

Each to their own. Not using supermarket fuel is daft though.

I remember a case of safeway fuel destroying a rangerover engine years back at a garage that I used to use, They successfully got safeway to replace the engine. The times I put this in my AXGT (3rd car :-) ) it was noticeably flatter, from this I've never bothered with asda or morrissions fuel. Tesco momentum is good though.

Edited by maddog1982

no deja vu whatsoever for me. I couldn't find one single example of a first hand 'i put x grade fuel in tank and broke it', only just opinions, a million 'look at fuel filler stickers' responses which i asked to avoid in opening post along with 2nd, 3rd hand 'urban myth' type tales on postings and hearings of it happening to mates, mechanic mate stories etc.

I'm getting a lot out of this, fairly pleased.

NO question of affordability for fuel or vehicle.

Rule #1 for this car is: no practical reason. (I'm allowing the exception to put golf clubs in and go to golf)

I also have a 13plate zx6r with the same rule. I just got that cash buy mid 2014 and fitted exhaust, fuel injection module and tuning, quickshifter so no clutch and throttle off, brakes all myself plus superficial mods and came to stage of.. what's next. and always liked these cars from the 240, 300 days.

bike is mainly used for sunny weekends and domestic track/euro track events

It was mostly a cash buy and finance taken was because interest rates are so low and my £ is in other places at moment but I'll pay it off in a couple months anyway.

Plan for car is sunday sunny day UK drives at 20mph and France, Germany weekends where I'll have the super fuel in and maybe press the sport mode button.

My only fuel knowledge is I know can put 102 in the bike at silverstone with no noticeable difference and I used to put avgas from the local drag/tuning shop in cars in the 90's, just for fun.

Edited by chips
  • Like 1

serious amount of money on a car then when it comes to something so key to its performance and lifespan risk it

If were talking 370's then theres no evidence 95 RON does any damage, if youre talking the wider world of cars then 98% of them can happily run all of their lives on 95 RON. Ive also never really noticed any difference in performance between the two ........ which makes sense as Ive never owned anything (apart from a Saab) that adjusts its timing according the quality of the fuel you are using. Sure, Ive had cars mapped to use 98 or 99, but without trickery a standard car burns both exactly the same.

Ive even read that 95 and 98 start off life exactly the same, its the additives in the higher octane stuff that makes the difference, the potential energy is identical in both but I dont know how true that is :)

did the pre work also and considered/looked at/tested bmw, audi etc but got too laughed at by friends for: bmw for being an old mans car, would need then to get a pipe, slippers, port sipper accessories(330 m sport models) and audi if i was opening a hairdressing salon and both for being a jr/middle manager.

Not against them by badge(I have a bmw motorbike which is an unbelievably good bike, one of my all time favourites)

if i was commuting i'd get a clio(which i already have and use only to transport the golf clubs) or hyundai, way preferred all round for me than the other 2 from my experiences in all 4 of those makes.

Edited by chips

Those who save 1p/l by buying supermarket fuel as opposed to say Shell are misguided. Supermarket fuels are frequently bought from traders who buy spot gasoline, blend it in tanks in Rotterdam and shi to UK. They have to meet the minimum of specifications but there are ways and means of doing this without producing a quality fuel. Volatility levels , aromatic contents etc They use minimum additive levels. Majors such as Shell have spent years of research and worked with major car producers to ensure the highest quality fuels and lubricants.

All of which is completely irrelevant.

To be able to sell fuel in the UK, it has to be of a certain quality. For regular petrol it's BS 228:2012, and for super unleaded that quality is BS 7800:2006. Those are very strict standards set by some very clever people who have to protect the equipment used by not only Joe Bloggs, but also of the civil service as well. In short, it's not worth their while making a crap standard. BS numbers are some of the highest quality checks anywhere in the world, hence why people usually want to buy British products.

Anyways, by buying fuel in the UK from anywhere other than Pikey Ted's Good Ol' Petrol Place, it HAS to meet either of those BS numbers. As long as it does, then that's all you need to worry about. If it exceeds it then great, that's a bonus, but the standard alone is more than enough to give a quality indicator.

• Like 1

Nissan are not mugs, they have some of the best techs in the world no doubt, like most manufacturers. If a manufacturer says use super then I personally would rather than rely on what I can find on the internet to say otherwise. I'm not a fuel technician, and neither are 99% of people on here, so I would rather go with the manufacturer advice on this one.

Nissan are not mugs, they have some of the best techs in the world no doubt, like most manufacturers. If a manufacturer says use super then I personally would rather than rely on what I can find on the internet to say otherwise. I'm not a fuel technician, and neither are 99% of people on here, so I would rather go with the manufacturer advice on this one.

I completely agree, and came to make this posting after finding the marketing brochure for the 370 which i referred to in the opening post where they say its ok.

just found another article i'd say from a credible independent source, saying it's ok to go the lower grade.

http://www.businessi...ney-2013-8?IR=T

Edited by chips

Must admit I just joined in on this on page 3 when people were talking willy nilly about slinging in 95 - for a few things on cars, I go with what the manufacturer says and fuel is one of them! Also just a point of note, because you can't find something on google, its doesnt mean it doesnt happen - maybe google to find someone admitting to have sex with a goat in a field and you probably wont turn up much, doesnt mean there are not weirdos out there doing it :lol:

• Like 1

that article says a lot of things, basically a) do what it says in the manual, and B) an engine designed for super unleaded can run on regular IF it has knock sensors, and at the expense of performance and fuel economy.

if if the 370z has knock sensors, it can run on 95. but then, why buy a sports car and then compromise its performance? better grade petrol also is more fuel efficient, so its partly paying for itself anyway.

re maybe google to find someone admitting...

hmmmmm. you might be pleasantly surprised about that last one. take a look, the experience will probably go something like this:

B):scare::p:yahoo::wacko::teeth:

isn't that what the internet is for?

LMFAO!!!

why buy one? for reasons given before and this clip sums it up, the last couple seconds of the clip has the message.

https://www.youtube....h?v=S-RJR8l4YG4

Edited by chips

chips, the good thing (and this is to be applauded) is that you 1) wanted to find out, 2) that you asked the question. Now all you have to do is fill up on fuel (whichever one you choose) and enjoy it. That, after all, is the most important thing. :)

Really hope you get the most out of the 370Z, its a terrific car with some great character. :drive1

thanks mate, I think I've made the executive decision - reckon i'll go with the flow - and the maker and run the super. not that i need performance, managed to get it out today- I work dark to dark hours so can't go play on weekdays :yuck: and didn't get around to pressing the 's' button either but just for peace of mind and when i do i will get the best out of it.

A terrific car for sure, It was the undisputed coolest car on road today, along with the dude I passed in Deal in the 350z with personalised plates :lol:

The factory exhaust can't stay though.

thanks mate, I think I've made the executive decision - reckon i'll go with the flow - and the maker and run the super. not that i need performance, managed to get it out today- I work dark to dark hours so can't go play on weekdays :yuck: and didn't get around to pressing the 's' button either but just for peace of mind and when i do i will get the best out of it.

A terrific car for sure, It was the undisputed coolest car on road today, along with the dude I passed in Deal in the 350z with personalised plates :lol:

When you have changed the exhaust I can guarantee you won't use anything other than 'S' Mode :D

• Like 1

When you have changed the exhaust I can guarantee you won't use anything other than 'S' Mode :D

bit off topic but dose s mode do anything other than syncro rev match?

I've run both 95 (for the initial week without knowing) and 99 V-Power. And I can tell you the 99 is alot smoother and crispier on acceleration. #

Its just not worth the risk just to save a few pence. Why buy this kinda car in the first place if you cant afford the running costs.

The only one thing I will say though, that buying second hand like I'm sure most of us on here has done, you cannot guarantee what's been used in the first place??

I do hope that's not a DE 350 you've been running on 95...!

How on earth do you run on 95 for a week without knowing, anyway?!

The DE's are probably on there 3rd of 4th owner by now so I imagine quite a lot of people are oblivious to it. We are on the forum as we care for our cars but I imagine there is quite a lot of owners aren't aware of this information or its effects.

The DE's are probably on there 3rd of 4th owner by now so I imagine quite a lot of people are oblivious to it. We are on the forum as we care for our cars but I imagine there is quite a lot of owners aren't aware of this information or its effects.

Or the sticker inside the petrol cap with this information on? Or the manual? :p

• Like 1

Or the sticker inside the petrol cap with this information on? Or the manual? :p

Well as I am a bloke I definitely don't read the manual! Sticker inside the petrol cap is a good one but I still think 50% of the 50 owners would be oblivious to it being a necessary requirement.