Would you rather have an underpowered flashy looking car...

twobears

I can't help but feel that this is a moot question on this forum where the one opinion often proffered is that the Z "doesn't have the power it should have done from the factory"...

:stir:

The thing about that though is the Zed is getting on a bit now especially the one's like mine, early DE engine models.

At the time when they were new they were a fast sports GT car with quoted 0-60mph of 5.9secs but nowadays that doesn't seem so fast when there are so many of these hot hatches & turbo/supercharged this & that which can match or better it with ease.

I think though in the end "real drivers" who enjoy speed (like me) will always just get used to what they have and crave more power, more speed, better performance etc. :D

I'm sure that if I had an R35 GTR which is what I lust after. Give it a year or so and I'd want that to be faster, stop quicker etc. :scare::lol:

Edit: Spelling. :dry:

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 3

Nope, you are not allowed one of each. It's against the rules and my decision is final :lol:

Damn!!! I think it really depends on the car. For me it's purely based on the feel good factor, power isn't as relevant when you're in 0-60 under 6/7 seconds as at the end of the day it is irrelevant on the road

Very very true, as you say in real world driving, not driving like a total knob there is not much point in having silly amounts of power.

My next Jaaaag will hopefully have 500bhp+ but I doubt very much I will drive it any faster than my current one :blush:

• Like 1

Mmmm......I guess if I had to make a choice it would lean toward Wolf. The reality however is slightly different.

I like to choose a car based mainly on how it "drives". This doesn't necessarily mean it has to be pants wettingly quick 0-60 or have massive power or that kind of thing. If it is, then that's great.

I like the Zed because I have to work at "driving" it properly to get the best out of it. I have to the same thing with my little shed. This makes driving fun for me, that's why I drive. That's why my Zed's done 126,000 miles and the sheds done 100,000.

I also like to drive something slightly different, something that's perhaps a little rarer on the road, but that's just a personal thing.

I'm more likely to be driving a Zed (350 / 370), a Citroen DS23 efi (1973, with leather seats, mmm lovely), a 3.2 / 3.4 Ferrari Mondial (1988 - 1993, a TVR Tuscan, an Alfa Romeo Spider (1972 - 1993), a Porsche 924S / 944S2, a Jaguar XJS, Honda NSX etc.

Are some of those flash, sporty but with "no-go" and are some of them wolves in sheeps clothing? I don't know, maybe they are. Are some of them good cars, yes I think so, other people probably think some of them are crap.

I guess that's what it comes down to Annie. I don't care what other people think about the kind of car I drive. As long as I like driving it, nothing else is important.

• Like 2

thing is, there arent many flashy cars that are slow.... there are only a few i can think of, a delorean is woefully slow but looks nice, a mitsubishi FTO, maybe a latest gen toyota celica looks nice. perhaps maybe a BMW 630d could be considered a looker but no trousers, but even thats not exactly slow.

of course if you're talking about an MR2 with a kit on to look like a ferrari 360, well thats just tragic. however given the choice i'd rather a 300hp polo than a Mitsubishi FTO, although i would like rwd... so i'll have a boggo spec BMW 320d (and badged as such) but with a 3 litre twin turbo under the bonnet, thanks.

• Like 1

The worst car of all for me would be one of those replicas that turn up on Autotrader occasionally e.g a replica Lamborghini body over a bog standard family car chasis and engine. Worst thing is they don't even tend to be that cheap. You could buy a properly decent car for the money. I will never get the point of those things.

• Like 1

you've all got that tune in your heads now haven't you

:lol:

I know I have, ...I can see him chasing some nurses around a park as well. :D

I hadn't realised your house overlooked the park :lol: :lol:

It actually does, ....well more or less. Close enough to see. :D;)

GMbinoculars :lol:;)

I can't help but feel that this is a moot question on this forum where the one opinion often proffered is that the Z "doesn't have the power it should have done from the factory"...

:stir:

The thing about that though is the Zed is getting on a bit now especially the one's like mine, early DE engine models.

At the time when they were new they were a fast sports GT car with quoted 0-60mph of 5.9secs but nowadays that doesn't seem so fast when there are so many of these hot hatches & turbo/supercharged this & that which can match or better it with ease.

I think though in the end "real drivers" who enjoy speed (like me) will always just get used to what they have and crave more power, more speed, better performance etc. :D

I'm sure that if I had an R35 GTR which is what I lust after. Give it a year or so and I'd want that to be faster, stop quicker etc. :scare::lol:

Edit: Spelling. :dry:

Sadly I agree with what you have said about the Z

On the GTR front, you may be pleasantly surprised... You get used to the speed and acceleration, but you rarely use that much power on the road. So you may get used to it, but when you do take it on track it still surprises you!! I have had 600hp from 3 months and I am happy to say that is enough. Suspension is great, just need to sort the brakes.... stock is good for road, but not great on track, the aftermarket discs and pads are ok, but I dont think they are that great. Alcon BBK kit is the way :scare: but that comes with a substantial pricetag.

Mine currently has the boost turned down, so I get a lovely surprise in spring when the roads become dry :)