Which of your previous cars do you miss the most?

NeilMH

Weren't all Raiders blue ?

Yep, they were all a dark pearl blue with colour coded wheels. They also had "raider" written on the back screen and had blue flecks on the seats instead of the stock red ones. Appart from that, they were the same as "ordinary" gt turbos, same power etc. Basically renault knocked them out at the end of the 5 gt turbos lifecycle as a "special" to use up old stock. Same as what they did with the clio williams etc.

I love the kit on that Renault turbo. Looks really smart. I love little turbo charged cars! if I had the money i'd love to have a Renault turbo 5 maxi, just like the old rally slag. it'd probably spend more time over jack than on the road though no doubt.

Looks like that might be a dimma kit or something similar on that 5 Raider.

My 97 Mk2 Rev4 MR2 :byebye:

Spent too much money on it and sold it for way too little. Loved this car. If I just held onto it for a little bit longer I could have used it as a track car instead of buying an awful 106 GTi which caught fire... At least my MX5 that replaced the 106 is on par with my MR2.

7227482576_f3f4b90ec7_b.jpg

Edited by longsh07

what are those alfa 3.0 V6s like? is it a brera?

Great cars, they honestly are, so long as maintained and looked after. They feel faster than the Z, (but they are not) however the handling is so-so. That is a GTV, the brera's are very nice too.

That GTV V6 is stunning, another car I lusted after but never managed to own

Get one some day. I hope to get an 8C one day!!

Edited by monkeybrain1234
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Weren't all Raiders blue ?

Yep, they were all a dark pearl blue with colour coded wheels. They also had "raider" written on the back screen and had blue flecks on the seats instead of the stock red ones. Appart from that, they were the same as "ordinary" gt turbos, same power etc. Basically renault knocked them out at the end of the 5 gt turbos lifecycle as a "special" to use up old stock. Same as what they did with the clio williams etc.

I love the kit on that Renault turbo. Looks really smart. I love little turbo charged cars! if I had the money i'd love to have a Renault turbo 5 maxi, just like the old rally slag. it'd probably spend more time over jack than on the road though no doubt.

The kit is a "Corsa" kit not a Dimma, the Corsa kit had the Ferrari style side vents, the Dimma didn't, the raider was introduced to answer the 205gti 1.9 with 130hp By raising the power from the standard gt turbos 120 to 127 along with the afor mentioned blue pearl paint, wheel inserts and blue fleck in the seats.

I have fond memories of my second Alfa - GTV6 2.5, MY 1985. She was a pretty rwd coupe with a willing engine and lovely steering feel (as there was no power steering - classic). Funny old world but at the time (late 80's) I was torn between the Alfa and a Z (a newer 300ZX was like a spaceship back then - and hopelessly out of budget) but having previously owned an Alfasud, Alfa was DNA back then.

Many mods were done - big springs and adjustable dampers on the rear suspension, slightly lowered (fronts were torsion bars :scare: ) and hot cams. Sadly she just rusted inside out - inner wings, roof, sills all crumbled to dust. I stored/abandoned her in my drive for years after, before virtually giving away to a restorer for parts :(

For extra kudos points, a gunmetal GTV6 appeared in a Bond movie (Octopussy) :cloud9::thumbs:

8df5c290418230353723f3695ba8fe43.jpg

I dont really miss any of them, apart from maybe my first car for sentimental value. The only other reason would be the value some of them have reached now, for example, 2 bay window campers i had, worth a relative fortune now and ironically probably the worst things i have ever owned!! Unless it was something like that, which i just couldnt justify spending, i would just buy another if i missed it!

The kit is a "Corsa" kit not a Dimma, the Corsa kit had the Ferrari style side vents, the Dimma didn't, the raider was introduced to answer the 205gti 1.9 with 130hp By raising the power from the standard gt turbos 120 to 127 along with the afor mentioned blue pearl paint, wheel inserts and blue fleck in the seats.

You are right on the bodykit, the Dimma one only had 2 vents in the rear 1/4 kit and the very similar Corsa kit (made by Prima Racing) had 4 vents making it more like a testarossa style. Good spot. :thumbs: There was also a "Skeete" kit which was pretty much the same but had no vents, a mate of mine has a Skeete 5 GTT in his garage.

Your wrong on the Raider though. It definitely only had the same power & engine as the normal 5 GT turbos. There were only 2 "phases" of the 5 GTT`s. The first ones were phase 1, and had only 115bhp. They could do 0-60 in 7.2 seconds as standard (Renault did a TV advert showing in real time one doing 0-60 in 7.5 on a really wet track) compared to the 8.1 seconds of the slower Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9. In 1988 Renault revised the 5, altered the bodykit, interior, suspension, wheels, changed the turbo for a water cooled one, changed the AEI pack to increase the red line by 500rpm and these ones produced 120bhp. The "raider" didnt come out until late 89/90 on G/H plates, 5 or 6 years after the 1.9 GTi came out.

Ive had 3 GTT`s and ive still got one which ive had since 1995 which is currently my project car. I also had a 205 GTi 1.9 back in the 90`s at the same time as a 5 GTT. Driving them back to back, the GTi wasnt even close performance wise and certainly no threat. Whilst it was slower and didnt handle quite as good it was still a very fun car to drive. The engine was very revvy and I remember after I added a janspeed exhaust system it sounded pretty awesome. Whilst I preferred the handling/performance of the 5GTT and the turbo kick, the GTi definitely looked better. The styling both inside & out - It felt more "modern" and much less plasticy.

• Like 2

You are right on the bodykit, the Dimma one only had 2 vents in the rear 1/4 kit and the very similar Corsa kit (made by Prima Racing) had 4 vents making it more like a testarossa style. Good spot. :thumbs: There was also a "Skeete" kit which was pretty much the same but had no vents, a mate of mine has a Skeete 5 GTT in his garage.

Your wrong on the Raider though. It definitely only had the same power & engine as the normal 5 GT turbos. There were only 2 "phases" of the 5 GTT`s. The first ones were phase 1, and had only 115bhp. They could do 0-60 in 7.2 seconds as standard (Renault did a TV advert showing in real time one doing 0-60 in 7.5 on a really wet track) compared to the 8.1 seconds of the slower Peugeot 205 GTi 1.9. In 1988 Renault revised the 5, altered the bodykit, interior, suspension, wheels, changed the turbo for a water cooled one, changed the AEI pack to increase the red line by 500rpm and these ones produced 120bhp. The "raider" didnt come out until late 89/90 on G/H plates, 5 or 6 years after the 1.9 GTi came out.

Ive had 3 GTT`s and ive still got one which ive had since 1995 which is currently my project car. I also had a 205 GTi 1.9 back in the 90`s at the same time as a 5 GTT. Driving them back to back, the GTi wasnt even close performance wise and certainly no threat. Whilst it was slower and didnt handle quite as good it was still a very fun car to drive. The engine was very revvy and I remember after I added a janspeed exhaust system it sounded pretty awesome. Whilst I preferred the handling/performance of the 5GTT and the turbo kick, the GTi definitely looked better. The styling both inside & out - It felt more "modern" and much less plasticy.

Any photos of your motors?

I also had a phase 1 gt turbo in pearl White, a 205 1.9 gti in white, a R11 turbo in silver and an R18 turbo in silver, really enjoyed owning those cars back in the day, the performance data I quoted for the Raider was from the ownership brochure I got with the car. the raider ran 9psi not the standard 7psi (was running 30psi when I was finished with it lol)

I even had it featured in a R5 turbo shootouts at brunters for "fast car mag" in May 1997

Happy days :)

Will see if I can dig out the old mag article, no laughing at the photo though lol

Edited by Jonny Z

Hi

Had my last Corvette(1994 LT1)for 11 1/2 years( and previous 1985 for 10 years)....only gave it up as old age prevented me from getting in and out without difficulty, but saying that my Roadster FairladyZ is a very acceptable replacement. I do miss the grunt of the V8 5.7 litre and the 0-60 of 5.4 with 170MPH!! Same MPG in both cars!

JohnUKVetteNut

I most miss my 260z, I had it when I was in my mid twenties (mid 50,s now) what a car it was at the time, wonder what it would feel like now to drive. Still my 350z is awesome and is very reminiscent of the 260z. Nissan done a great job of recapturing the original.

• Like 1